Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35451 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2022, 11:08 AM - 5 Likes   #18886
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stumbled upon a flock of large grey cranes feeding in a field on their way south. This one was posing for met on the side.

645z +P67 400mm + 67TC1.4

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-16-2022, 08:20 PM - 3 Likes   #18887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ren Fair this weekend. Ran into an awesome drum ensamble, Pictus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GFX100S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GFX100S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GFX100S  Photo 
10-16-2022, 10:58 PM - 11 Likes   #18888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the earliest days of the colonisation of Australia, there was a strong desire to set up lines of communication that spanned the continent, also opening up the place for trade. At first, this consisted merely of 'exploring' to find what was there. Then they built a telegraph line all the way up the country - which connected with an undersea cable and, for the first time, made it possible for news and messages to be shared with the rest of the world in hours or minutes rather than months.

Then, the idea was to build a railway line through this vast and arid country. This was no small undertaking. There was basically nothing out there that constituted a market - but the hope was that such trade would be formed by the building of the line. It had to follow the few places where water could be found for the steam locomotives, which of course meant following the places that would periodically flood - which, in turn, made the line unreliable and prone to washouts. The line was built north towards Alice Springs, a place that grew in the middle of the desert as a result. The railway came to connect Alice with Adelaide in the south, joining up with some existing railways in the south; a line was also built south from Darwin. Take a look at those places on the map, pay attention to the scale of the map, and remember there was nothing approximating to a settlement to speak of between them. It was a ribbon stretching out over huge amounts of... not much!

The two parts of this line never did join up. The line saw modest traffic, with the big gap between the section north from Adelaide and the section south from Darwin being bridged by rudimentary traffic over dirt roads, which could also become impassable in the rain - not to mention the effort of transhipment of good/people off/on/off between rail, road and rail again. When the Second World War came, this route suddenly became strategically vital and there was a huge increase in traffic, including across that painful gap.

If this route was ever to make real sense, something better was needed. It was never going to make money but it was nation-building stuff!

Eventually, a modern line would be built and run the whole distance, without a gap. With the advent of diesels, which had appeared on the old line in the 1950s, there was no need to follow those flooding areas either. Oh, and it was built to standard gauge (not the narrow gauge of the original line). This route finally opened in 1980, leaving the old line to its fate. Some short sections are preserved for posterity, but it's mostly gone, the steel stripped out and the traces mouldering in the outback.

But if you go to Alice Springs and know where to look, you can see some of the equipment used on the old line, including these two old beasts. They are NSU class locomotives, built to replace the steam - using the old line. How fitting that they sit here in the red sand, sidelined by the bigger, completed modern line. Somehow the passage of time in this vast place feels expressed by the wheeling stars in the sky!

GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 45mm
[IMG][/IMG]

And same lens @ 28mm
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 10-17-2022 at 11:29 PM.
10-17-2022, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #18889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
From the earliest days of the colonisation of Australia, there was a strong desire to set up lines of communication that spanned the continent, also opening up the place for trade. At first, this consisted merely of 'exploring' to find what was there. Then they built a telegraph line all the way up the country - which connected with an undersea cable and, for the first time, made it possible for news and messages to be shared with the rest of the world in hours or minutes rather than months.

Then, the idea was to build a railway line through this vast and arid country. This was no small undertaking. There was basically nothing out there that constituted a market - but the hope was that such trade would be formed by the building of the line. It had to follow the few places where water could be found for the steam locomotives, which of course meant following the places that would periodically flood - which, in turn, made the line unreliable and prone to washouts. The line was built north towards Alice Springs, a place that grew in the middle of the desert as a result. The railway came to connect Alice with Adelaide in the south, joining up with some existing railways in the south; a line was also built south from Darwin. Take a look at those places on the map, pay attention to the scale of the map, and remember there was nothing approximating to a settlement to speak of between them. It was a ribbon stretching out over huge amounts of... not much!

The two parts of this line never did join up. The line saw modest traffic, with the big gap between the section north from Adelaide and the section south from Darwin being bridged by rudimentary traffic over dirt roads, which could also become impassable in the rain - not to mention the effort of transhipment of good/people off/on/off between rail, road and rail again. When the Second World War came, this route suddenly became strategically vital and there was a huge increase in traffic, including across that painful gap.

If this route was ever to make real sense, something better was needed. It was never going to make money but it was nation-building stuff!

Eventually, a modern line would be built and run the whole distance, without a gap. With the advent of diesels, which had appeared on the old line in the 1950s, there was no need to follow those flooding areas either. Oh, and it was built to standard gauge (not the narrow gauge of the original line). This route finally opened in 1980, leaving the old line to its fate. Some short sections are preserved for posterity, but it's mostly gone, the steel stripped out and the traces mouldering in the outback.

But if you go to Alice Springs and know where to look, you can see some of the equipment used on the old line, including these two old beasts. They are NSU class locomotives, built to replace the steam - but still using the old line. How fitting that they sit here in the red sand. Somehow the passage of time in this vast place feels expressed by the wheeling stars in the sky!

GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 45mm
[/url][/IMG]

And same lens @ 28mm
[/url][/IMG]
Fascinating history and photos. Thanks for the lesson.

10-17-2022, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #18890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Me too!
10-17-2022, 03:26 PM - 9 Likes   #18891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a mountain bike trip in Northern NM last week which was fun and beautiful. I rode with a smaller camera but had my 50r kit in the truck for when I could use it.

This was on the way down in La Garita, Colorado.
645-A* 300/4

Hopewell Lake, NM
100-200

Lagunitas, NM
645-A* 300/4

...and one from back on my home turf. I was hoping for some good sunrise light that never came but it was still not bad.

645-A* 300/4
10-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #18892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Me too!

Thanks! Hope it didn't come across as too much of a lesson - I just love this stuff and the pictures do tell a story

---------- Post added 10-18-22 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I did a mountain bike trip in Northern NM last week which was fun and beautiful. I rode with a smaller camera but had my 50r kit in the truck for when I could use it.

...and one from back on my home turf. I was hoping for some good sunrise light that never came but it was still not bad.

Lovely stuff, Matt. I really admire both your physical fitness and your ability to keep turning up great results in your own area... :-)

10-17-2022, 07:12 PM - 4 Likes   #18893
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying my hand at icm, the 645 A35 and A45 are what I'm using on a Fujifilm GFX50R, what do you think?

10-17-2022, 08:37 PM - 7 Likes   #18894
Pentaxian

Bongeunsa Temple, Gangnam, Seoul

GFX100s GF 20 - 35

handheld at 1/7 f/5.6

---------- Post added 10-17-22 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Trying my hand at icm, the 645 A35 and A45 are what I'm using on a Fujifilm GFX50R, what do you think?

I like them - especially the trees
10-18-2022, 07:59 AM   #18895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Lovely stuff, Matt. I really admire both your physical fitness and your ability to keep turning up great results in your own area... :-)

Thanks Ed! My parents stressed the value of physical fitness when I was growing up and somehow it stuck. For me it's really practical as well as something that feels good. I just want to be able to do these adventures and get to the places I want to be without being a liability to the group or a hazard to myself when solo. I never want to be the weakest link although I sometimes am depending on the company.

I'm also very fortunate to live such in a photogenic place that matches my preferred aesthetic. It would be a lot harder here if I was just into cityscapes or street photography!
10-18-2022, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #18896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks great! Always nice to see creativity with medium format.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
10-18-2022, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #18897
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote

GFX100s GF 20 - 35

handheld at 1/7 f/5.6

I appreciate your continuing documentation of "Gangnam style."
10-18-2022, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #18898
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Thumbs up on 3&4. If it were me I'd try lowering the exposure on the sky in 1.
10-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #18899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Photographs are as close as I will ever get to a lot of these places which is what keeps me coming back to the medium format forum.
10-18-2022, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #18900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some cholla from near Georgia O'Keeffe's Ghost Ranch (Abiquiú, NM)

GFX 50r & 100-200

Last edited by mattb123; 10-18-2022 at 03:50 PM.