Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with the choice of a scanner

Well, the thread title says it all, doesn't it? I don't have the money for the Nikon
Coolscan 9000, so I'll stick with one of the Epsons. Only I can't decide between the
V600 and V700.... Suggestions, thoughts, completely deviant ways to go, etc....???

I'd appreciate your help! And as payback, I hope I can show you some of my
medium format slides soon.....

Grtz!

02-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should take a look at the Canon CanoScan 8800F as well.

Whatever scanner you get I would recommend Hamrick Software VueScan Pro. VueScan Pro allows you to scan as an Adobe DNG. Supports ICC profiles and IT8 calibration.

VueScan Scanning Software
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

VueScan also allows multiple scanning or sampling of the image for supported scanners. That helps bring in more higlights and reduce film grain noise. They say 16 sample will eliminate gain noise but, gee, that's a long scan.

I think you'd be happy with the V700. Go for it!
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
VueScan also allows multiple scanning or sampling of the image for supported scanners. That helps bring in more higlights and reduce film grain noise. They say 16 sample will eliminate gain noise but, gee, that's a long scan.

I think you'd be happy with the V700. Go for it!
If you can`t afford Coolscan 9000 then go for Coolscan 8000. It is the same scanner, the same quality, but 2 times cheaper. These goues on ebay for 800USD time by time. Most expencive cases - till 1100 USD (like I bought year ago - but with glass carrier).

I did really hard evaluation, lurked around scanner half a year. Bought Epson pro v750m and... was not satisfied. Bought Coolscan 8000. And got satisfaction.

Main difference from Coolscan 9000... Oldest model has banding if you scan without Super CCD. It means scaner uses all three sensors and dark areas of picture shows lines.

So, one just need to scan everything with SuperCCD - three times longher than 9000 model, but who cares?

I am puting 4 645 velvia slides for night into scanner, make it to chose 8x sampling, CCD superscan. And it works three hours approximately.

At the morning I put in next slides and go to work. And it scans again.

Then I have 8 super perfect big 16bit TIFFS for post processing, or for archiving.

Although I have 6x9 Fuji camera too. These two files after sacnning is hard to open. Some 30 seconds till my laptop opens these 1/2 gigabyte files.

02-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaards Quote

So, one just need to scan everything with SuperCCD - three times longher than 9000 model, but who cares?
Than you're in for a looooong scan. Because my 9000ED takes a really long time and that is regardless of what dpi I select and that is with firewire connection too. But I'm also doing a 4 sample scan. With my Epson 4990, lower res meant a faster scan.

I've shown this shot before, but this was done on a cheap 4990 with VeuScan. I thought it did a decent job. So I'd expect the V700 would do a decent job too.

02-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Forum Member

Than you're in for a looooong scan. Because my 9000ED takes a really long time and that is regardless of what dpi I select and that is with firewire connection too. But I'm also doing a 4 sample scan. With my Epson 4990, lower res meant a faster scan.

It depends.
You know - when I am at work, scanner can do it`s work for 8 hours to scan these 4 slides at max resolution, max sampling and so on. Because I am at work. And there is no difference 5 minutes or eight hours. It is equal time actually ;-)

But If I like to measurbate something, then of course one sampling, and you have result just in some one or two minutes. Better result than all efforts what can be obtained from V700.

And if it all depends, then my approach (for amateur) time does not mean nothing, best quality - it means a lot. Because I am customer of myself, I can wait... But like customer of myself I vant the best quality.
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Depends on what you're looking for -

I find the Epson V500 does well with medium format negatives when printed up to what I can fit on 13x19 paper without cropping. I't's reasonably priced through the Epson clearance center. It does have Digital Ice which is nice but doesn't work on traditional B&W.

Since I got it I added a Nikon 9000 which does do better, but I think the V500 is still good on medium format for the print sizes above.

A couple drawbacks to consider - I don't find it acceptable for making prints from 35mm negatives/positives, and it will not handle 4x5, so I pull out the old 3200 for the 4x5's

02-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about getting an MF scanner but am unwilling to spring for a Nikon. It also appears that Nikon is only making/selling the 9000 and service appears to be questionable (from what I've been reading). I will probably get an Epson flatbed, most likely the 700 and will also buy film holders from Betterscanning.
I can print up to 17 X 25 and figure that if I can't get good results at larger sizes, I'll stick with smaller prints and go for the occasional drum scan when I have something that I want to go large with. I already have a 35mm film scanner, so that is not an issue.

I also have to do some upgrading on my computer before I tackle larger files and, to be honest, am not fond of scanning as a way to spend my time. If you haven't done any before, you will find that there is a substantial learning curve and amounts of time involved.
02-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I have been thinking about getting an MF scanner but am unwilling to spring for a Nikon. It also appears that Nikon is only making/selling the 9000 and service appears to be questionable (from what I've been reading). I will probably get an Epson flatbed, most likely the 700 and will also buy film holders from Betterscanning.
I can print up to 17 X 25 and figure that if I can't get good results at larger sizes, I'll stick with smaller prints and go for the occasional drum scan when I have something that I want to go large with. I already have a 35mm film scanner, so that is not an issue.

I also have to do some upgrading on my computer before I tackle larger files and, to be honest, am not fond of scanning as a way to spend my time. If you haven't done any before, you will find that there is a substantial learning curve and amounts of time involved.
I like my Coolscan 9000, but I'm not sure I'd pay the price I see people asking for them on Ebay now.
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally, I made up my mind and bought me an Epson V700. It's in full (???) working order right now, just with some 35mm slides, but later I will post some first 6x7 results.
I'm thrilled....

Thanks all for your input, you made my choice a lot easier!!
03-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally!!!
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
V700....excellent choice! I've use a V750 Pro for the past couple years and it works extremely well for the price. Mainly got that instead of the V700 in order to get the full version of Silverfast AI v6.....but Vuescan does an excellent job also.

Not to disparge the Nikon 8000/9000.....but I think the differences in scan quality are not significant between the 8000/9000 and the V700/V750.

EPSON V750 review

A significant advantage of the V700/V750 for me was the ability to scan my 4x5 negs and transparencies (vs the Nikon 8000/9000 which will only do up to medium format. I use a Nikon 5000 for scanning 35mm.

Gary
03-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Rense,
I have the V700 with Vuescan. It took some getting used to but I'm happy with the results. I like the fact that it has inserts for lots more film types besides 35mm. As you have likely figured out, you need to spend a lot more to get materially better results. Dave
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm with Bensonga. You can get great results from the Epson, especially if you make sure to sharpen your scans correctly. They can stand a LOT of sharpening! A good Epson scan will be practically indistinguishable from a Nikon scan where it counts - in the print.
03-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Finally, I made up my mind and bought me an Epson V700. It's in full (???) working order right now, just with some 35mm slides, but later I will post some first 6x7 results.
I'm thrilled....

Thanks all for your input, you made my choice a lot easier!!
Rense,
I will be curious to see your results. At some time in the near future I may be considering scanning options for 6x7 and larger (4x5 camera is due to be delivered any day now). The Nikon 9000 is a nice machine, but for many purposes 4000 dpi is overkill for 6x7 and the Nikon won't do sheet film. I would be perfectly happy with the ability to proof at low res and send out for high res scan and/or optical prints.

Steve