Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645+AF360+TTL?

Not sure if this fits in here or in the "Studio" forum.
Does the AF360 default to TTL mode on a 645? I took a few shots with the setup but the flash was saying it was in P-TTL mode. The shots turn out great but I'm not sure if that was coincidental or not. I just put the flash on, turned it on, started shooting and got lucky.
Anybody else use this setup? Was thinking it would be cool to get the Pentax TTL ext. cord and do some off camera flash work.

Swift1

02-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It should. I've used the AF540FGZ successfully with the 645. It does not show that it is in TTL mode, though.
02-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I want to buy a flash for the 645, but wonder which flash is best
suited to ad hoc use (i.e. outside a studio hence controlled
environment). Considerations are:
1. fill in flash and
2. normal but indirect flash, yet without a convenient wall.

Any advice or experiences? Way back I coveted a Metz rather than
Pentax, but things may have changed.
(it's been a long time since I used my old 35mm camera and even longer
since I used it regularly, and I never had TTL back then).
02-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks GeneV.

Smolk, I think the AF500FTZ might be your best bet. Other than that look at,

AF400T
AF400ftz
AF280T.

I already own an AF360fgz and it seems to work but the 645 won't use a lot of it's features.

Swift1

02-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I want to buy a flash for the 645, but wonder which flash is best
suited to ad hoc use (i.e. outside a studio hence controlled
environment). Considerations are:
1. fill in flash and
2. normal but indirect flash, yet without a convenient wall.

Any advice or experiences? Way back I coveted a Metz rather than
Pentax, but things may have changed.
(it's been a long time since I used my old 35mm camera and even longer
since I used it regularly, and I never had TTL back then).
Do you intend to buy a DSLR as well? If you do, then the AF360FGZ or the AF540FGZ would make sense. If you are only shooting film, then you might be better off with a used flash from the TTL-only days. I have used the AF540 successfully, but my flash of choice is the AF400T. The potato-masher style works well with the 645 body, and mine has a nice High Voltage AC adapter which makes it nice for strobist work. If you buy with the useful accessories, these older flashes are not real cheap used--typically more than the AF360 and less than the AF540. Power is also in between the two current flashes.
02-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, I'll be shooting film for some time. If that 645D comes out.... I'll be saving for a long time. If I had the cash I'd order it immediately when available, even if in Japan alone. I heard it may not have video - great, don't want it. So for the long run I may have to consider DSLR-compatability, but that may well be quite a run. Guess I'll have to monitor prices on eBay.
Interestingly, though, both advices (for which I'm grateful) go for Pentax-flashes, not third party ones.

Last edited by Smolk; 02-21-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
02-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I'll be shooting film for some time. If that 645D comes out.... I'll be saving for a long time. If I had the cash I'd order it immediately when available, even if in Japan alone. I heard it may not have video - great, don't want it. So for the long run I may have to consider DSLR-compatability, but that may well be quite a run. Guess I'll have to monitor prices on eBay.
Interestingly, though, both advices (for which I'm grateful) go for Pentax-flashes, not third party ones.
I know there are good options from third parties that work in TTL, but I appreciated that I plugged the cable from the AF400T into the 645 hot shoe and it worked perfectly the first time. It is also a well-built, metal tool whose construction matches the 645.

03-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Eventually I did go for the AF400T since it seemed such a good flash for so little money (used). Of course, it probably will not play nicely with dslr's, but I'm not there yet, and I've truly fallen in love with the 645 camera - as much as I once did with the all manual, indestructible KX in 1980
03-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Eventually I did go for the AF400T since it seemed such a good flash for so little money (used). Of course, it probably will not play nicely with dslr's, but I'm not there yet, and I've truly fallen in love with the 645 camera - as much as I once did with the all manual, indestructible KX in 1980
I use the AF400T with the 645 as well. That flash is heavy and can be unwieldy, but I've had it fall off a table on to a ceramic floor and keep right on working. The AF400T used prices (with the accessories you need, such as a battery pack of some kind) weren't that much less than the best price on an AF360 new when I checked a while back.