Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
soft release for 645N and 6x7

Hi folks,

Does anyone use a soft release button on their 645/645N/645NII or 6x7/67 cameras?

This is what I am thinking about:

RapidWinder.com Home
- see left side menu for soft releases

match Technical Services - Beep - Boop - Bip - Bug

I am trying to get my release smoother.

Thanks, Yuri

02-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Are you getting less than sharp results handheld with a 645? If so, I'm doubtful that a soft release will be much help with a camera having a .250 second shutter lag like the 645N.

Something I've found to be a real boon to critical sharpness handheld with my 645N is a short wrist strap for the left (camera cradling) hand. Tamrac makes a simple Q/R one. Cushioned with a fleece sleeve it's nearly perfect. Stick my hand through it and give a wrap, and it really helps to stabilize my left wrist. I'm consistently able to shoot sharp down to 1/8s using my 35mm SMC-A. (No, not every shot--but a high percentage are sharp sans tripod or monopod.)

Another thing that comes to mind is that cameras with right-handed grips tend to promulgate their use for stabilizing the camera. Ideally the camera cradling hand really should not be the release hand, so if you're doing this you may want or need to break yourself of the habit.
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Ivan. The reason for getting this is two fold - one for the softer and higher release (I handhold and use a tripod and am happy with the results) and the second, non photography reason is some of them just look really cool (colours, designs etc.).
03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The 6x7 is an electric release. There is no practical reason to use a soft release on it.
Aesthetic reasons may over ride this.