Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dropped camera - oh dear...

My P645 equipped with the 67 165/2.8 fell off the roof of a car onto pavement last week in Thailand – it dropped about 1.5m. Thought some of you might be interested in the forensic evaluation:

1. It made an ugly sound upon impact – really gut wrenching. The extended lens hood hit first, then the 645 handle, spilling the batteries every which way;

2. The lens hood was bent in over the broken UV filter, so that it could not be moved in any way;

3. Six of the eight screws holding the locking plate to the lens adapter failed (pulled out), leaving the lens dangling on one side of the adapter;

4. The camera was scratched, but otherwise OK, cosmetically.

I was able to bend the lens hood back into reasonable shape so that in can retract, extend and otherwise act as a lens hood, though it won’t win any beauty contest. I replaced the lens filter, removed the totaled adapter, and miraculously, the lens works like new! Even the focusing is smooth. Amazing, considering the force of the impact. However, the camera appears to be damaged electronically, as, it won’t turn on (it is not a power supply or switch problem). Sadly, I was unable to take photos for the rest of the trip, just when things were getting interesting.

I have learned some lessons the hard way that I would have told you I already knew before this accident: always take a spare body on such a trip (don’t even think about the extra weight!); and trust your instincts about camera safety – when the little voice says don’t leave your camera in a high, exposed place, even for a minute, listen to it!

Best, Alan

03-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain.
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch! sorry to hear. Have you been able to re-assemble and re-assess?

Sort of reminds me of those Mercedes and Volvo commercials where they show crumple zones and such.
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about this Alan. P645 body and the 67-645 adapter - yikes. Any news on the extent of the damage?

03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your expressions of sympathy. It is not a very big financial setback, but it is as if I lost an old friend...

Yuri - the lens works fine, but appears battle worn, the adapter is trashed, and the camera won't turn on. I have a friend in Taipei who fixes 645's, and when I get up there, I will see if he can fix it.

Meanwhile, in tribute to my "dear friend", I post a three of his very last photos, all taken using a 67 45mm f/4 lens at the Temple of the Reclining Budda, in Bankok. The first is using Portra 400NC and the last two with Provia 100. This Budda is so massive that it takes up the entire building in which it is housed! I had quite a bit to do to get these shots, and ended up on my knees with the tripod evey which way, in order to get the compositions right. Regrettably, the photos do not really convey a sense of the gigantic size of this Budda. IMO, the 67 45mm f/4 lens is superior to either of the 645 45mm f/2.8 lenses, which are not sharp in the centre unless significantly stopped down, and never really become sharp in the corners.

Best, Alan
Attached Images

Last edited by ARCASIA; 03-09-2010 at 11:27 PM.