Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
first 645 roll shot, now what

Hi, I have an embarrassing question: I shot my first 120 roll at the 645, and then realised I do not know how to package it. How do you send these to a developer (which is not local, so mail must be used)? With 35mm film, I always had a few of these plastic film boxes, but how do you keep shot 120 film safe?

I only gradually realised, btw, that the aspect of 4:3 of the 645 is different from 35mm film. I think I like it better (I enjoyed looking through the viewfinder, needed little excuse for that) but I will have to see that in the long run.

03-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

I tend to drop them in ziplock bags and hand them off locally, but a padded envelope would probably be sufficient protection.

So long as the paper backing is wrapped tight and the tag end is stuck down there shouldn't be any light leaks. Putting it inside a ziplock inside a padded envelope might help with keeping dust down.

The 645 aspect ratio makes for almost no cropping on 8.5x11s and 11x14's,and 16x20's-- common paper sizes nowadays. I can frame tighter than with 35mm (though 35mm works really well with 11x17 with minimal cropping).
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I suppose it's rolled up tightly enough indeed (it did seem tidy, but then again, in 35mm film there's a metal case so you don't see how it's rolled up).

Good suggestion for keeping dust out of it, thanks - that may be very helpful in certain locations.
03-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For color neg I find a minilab - latest find is in Hoboken NJ - to develop and maybe scan. To send to Dwayne's I ususally just stick it in the padded envelope with the paperwork.

03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Do call around for a local lab. At first, thinking the Internet is the be-all of bargains, I sent boxes of 120 rolls off to the best price on the net, Dwayne's Photo. They did a nice job, but I later discovered that a local camera store was cheaper and quicker (and they did a nice job). Better with Brick and Mortar--go figure.
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
... I later discovered that a local camera store was cheaper and quicker (and they did a nice job). Better with Brick and Mortar--go figure.
Years ago I use to take my 120 color to a local mini lab when they were everywhere. And they charged by the print. And when I brought in my 10 pictures on a 120 roll film in it was great because their cost structure was based on 36 prints of 135. I got it done real cheap! They didn't charge extra because it was 120, they didn't use exhausted chemicals and kept their machine calibrated. The results were good for the color films I used. Dang, I wish they were still around.
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
still, good point, there may be some around - unlike me, however, as I'm temporarily out of my home town. but there may still be a user base around there, there are active clubs, so i should give it a try. always nicer to speak to real faces and when you don't have to post it - they may even be more expensive!
less chance too that the royal mail loses my post (which happened to me several times in London, even with registered mail, but I have to say that it has not happened in Cambridge, to my knowledge).
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Years ago I use to take my 120 color to a local mini lab when they were everywhere. And they charged by the print. And when I brought in my 10 pictures on a 120 roll film in it was great because their cost structure was based on 36 prints of 135. I got it done real cheap! They didn't charge extra because it was 120, they didn't use exhausted chemicals and kept their machine calibrated. The results were good for the color films I used. Dang, I wish they were still around.
Perhaps their generosity contributed to their not being around.

After a recent price increase, I'm getting my 120 C41 (film only) done for about $3.40 in uncut sleeves. It was $3 in 2009. That is also the same as they charge for 135. I hope they can keep it up. That keeps 645 down to $.50 a shutter click, and 6x7 to $.75.

03-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I posted the first rolls to the Fuji lab in the UK, as I was out of town. But in Cambridge, there is indeed a local service: the local shop does it via the university's lab around the corner. Don't know the price yet, but a local service may be worth something (and saves P&P anyway).