Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

T-mount for 67

Hi guys,

Is there such a thing as T-mount for the 67 bayonet? I'm asking this question with astrophotography in mind but having the possibility of using various T-mount lenses would be nice too. I'm aware of the company called Hutech that makes a focuser and a mount for Pentax 67 but it's really an adapter to a 35mm T-mount, not the real thing. Pentax 67/67 ii is still going strong among astrophotographers so I think they must have had a way to attach the camera to a telescope, in particular to 2 inch eyepiece tubes, which makes most sense given the 67's bayonet diameter.

Jerry.

03-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have no idea. But drop nightfly a pm and maybe he could help you out there.
03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry_K Quote
Hi guys,

Is there such a thing as T-mount for the 67 bayonet? I'm asking this question with astrophotography in mind but having the possibility of using various T-mount lenses would be nice too. I'm aware of the company called Hutech that makes a focuser and a mount for Pentax 67 but it's really an adapter to a 35mm T-mount, not the real thing. Pentax 67/67 ii is still going strong among astrophotographers so I think they must have had a way to attach the camera to a telescope, in particular to 2 inch eyepiece tubes, which makes most sense given the 67's bayonet diameter.

Jerry.
No way. T2 has a much shorter flange distance than the 67, you won't reach infinity at all.

To attach the 67 to a telescope you don't need a T2 adapter. You need a special adapter for the 67. The T2 would be simply too small in diameter and give you a heavily vignetted view. Pentax made adapters for their scopes and yes, Hutech is now probably the best address for that purpose, unless you want to invest in Van Slyke Engineering or similar. Hutech distributes the BOrg OASIS scopes, which now are based on Pentax optics.

Anyway, to make use of a 67 with a telescope as primary optics, you would need a really fast and big refractor or an even much bigger SCT.

Otherwise, the domain for MF astrophotography would be overview shots, which cover a large sky area and therefor the 67 standard lenses are better suited, than any telescope. Fort shooting small deep sky objects or to make high res shots of planets, sun, moon etc, a simple DSLR is much better suited, than the big, heavy, bulky and vibrating 67 monster.

Ben
03-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
No way. T2 has a much shorter flange distance than the 67, you won't reach infinity at all.

To attach the 67 to a telescope you don't need a T2 adapter. You need a special adapter for the 67. The T2 would be simply too small in diameter and give you a heavily vignetted view. Pentax made adapters for their scopes and yes, Hutech is now probably the best address for that purpose, unless you want to invest in Van Slyke Engineering or similar. Hutech distributes the BOrg OASIS scopes, which now are based on Pentax optics.
Oh, I see. So that special adapter is specific to a particular astronomical instrument? Is there a generic name for it? Is there a generic adapter that matches Pentax 67 bayonet on one end and has a 2" eyepiece dimensions on the other end?

Anyway, to make use of a 67 with a telescope as primary optics, you would need a really fast and big refractor or an even much bigger SCT.
As it happens I do own a pretty big SCT (Celestron CGE1400) but at f/11 it's hardly a fast instrument.

Otherwise, the domain for MF astrophotography would be overview shots, which cover a large sky area and therefor the 67 standard lenses are better suited, than any telescope. Fort shooting small deep sky objects or to make high res shots of planets, sun, moon etc, a simple DSLR is much better suited, than the big, heavy, bulky and vibrating 67 monster.
Given the size of the 6x7 film and the 4 meter focal length of my scope, an object the size of entire M31 could fit. Wouldn't that be nice? :-)

I did use a DSLR (Olympus E-500) on this scope, but it was nothing but a string of disappointments. Most of the time a got nothing, courtesy of impossible to turn of noise removal "feature" of that Olympus.

Jerry.

03-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry_K Quote
Oh, I see. So that special adapter is specific to a particular astronomical instrument? Is there a generic name for it? Is there a generic adapter that matches Pentax 67 bayonet on one end and has a 2" eyepiece dimensions on the other end?

As it happens I do own a pretty big SCT (Celestron CGE1400) but at f/11 it's hardly a fast instrument.

Given the size of the 6x7 film and the 4 meter focal length of my scope, an object the size of entire M31 could fit. Wouldn't that be nice? :-)

I did use a DSLR (Olympus E-500) on this scope, but it was nothing but a string of disappointments. Most of the time a got nothing, courtesy of impossible to turn of noise removal "feature" of that Olympus.

Jerry.
If you have a C14, that's a good base. But I would see, whether Peterson Engineering hasn't got the matching "Eye Opener" adapter, which gives you a much wider view, as the original Celestron (and Meade, although) back flange adapters are unnecessarily small and obstruct the possible field of view. A 67-2-inch adapter would still be very narrow and vignette heavily. To really use the 67 you would need a 3-inch focuser (or 2.7 inches, whateever), but this is ofcourse also dependend on the length of the necessary drawtube extension for focusing.

For the C14 you would also need a large field flattener, to really obtain good images with the 67. After all it is a time consuming process to take images through such an instrument and you won't want images that are only useable in the center of the film frame (you could then use a 35mm camera…).

This is one of the (many) reasons, that refractors are better suited for wide field photography: you often have a larger focuser and large field flatteners are readily available for medium format cameras. My own older Pentax 75 SDHD refractor is very small, but has the field flattenere already built-in for 645 cameras. A very convenient package to carry around. But again: the 67 lenses are very good and can be found cheaply on ebay. May be cheaper than all the necessary paraphernalia you would need to buy for your C14. With a 300/4 and fine grain film, you will have very good views of wider fields and perhaps you'll find a 500/5,6, which is already fine for the Andromeda Galaxy and its satellites.

Ben