Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
play in mount

Hi,

I am interested in a 135mm LS lens for my 645, but the seller tells me that there is a "slight play in mount" (glass is perfect). I haven't yet seen the lens, but how serious is this and can it be remedied?

Edit: perhaps too generic a question, since I haven't inspected the problem. But does anyone know whether these faults in mount play can be addressed / repaired ?

Last edited by Smolk; 03-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.
03-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Tough to say without inspecting it - as you hinted. Also, did the seller mention that it has more play than other 645 lenses on the same body, or that they are only commenting on one lens. I mention this in case the seller is unfamiliar with the Pentax 645 system and it might be normal.

I just checked a few of my Pentax 645 A and FA lenses and there is play in all of them when mounted. The play is all when I twist the lens in its mount, it is ever so slight, approximately 1mm or less. When I pull the lens from the body, there appears to be no play at all.

So another question is where is the play (e.g. when you twist the lens? when you pull the lens)? It might be a loose mount on the lens, which could be tightened.
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're right, and thanks for the comment - I will indeed compare it to my other lenses. Though I've only just picked them up, so I don't really know the permissible margin here. The lenses being heavier than the 35mm slr lenses - which I know much better - might have more play as a result.