Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Soon to be MF shooter need a couple of tips

Hello,

I finally could not resist anymore and just purchased a 645 system from one of the forum member. I will shoot only B&W and soon will be developing my films (or been thrown out of the house by my wife following a new string of photographic purchases). I will also purchase an Epson V600 and Betterscan holder as I have only 35mm scanners.
I shoot a mix of landscape and cityscape in available light and almost no portrait (but you can never say never). In 35mm my preferred film is Agfa APX100.
Been in Canada I have very limited access to chemicals.
I am currently trying to get my hands on Rodinal to develop the Agfa APX100.
I would possibly also use Xtol for 35mm Agfa APX400.
Ideally I would like to limit my use to two developers at most. Rodinal would be my first choice if available. I can get hold of the regular Ilford and Kodak developers.
I need to make my choice of both a slow (50~125) and fast (320~400) B&W 120 film. I am more attracted to the nice tonal range of a film like APX100 than contrast or very small grain (that said I scan my negatives for printing on Epson 2880 > 13*19).
Taking all the above in consideration, I would welcome advice and tips from the experienced bunch in this forum to narrow down the "best" combination film/developer.
I know that Tuco is a big fan of Across 100 in Rodinal so that would be an option except that if I cannot get hold of Rodinal easily I am back to square one to find a similar developer for APX100 and MF film.
For the record I have shot a variety of film in B&W 35mm before settling down to APX100 but I am not sure that this is relevant to MF.

Sorry for being long winded and thanks in advance for pointed advice.

Cheers,

Luc

03-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Congrats on your new gear!

Actually, I do more PMK Pyro than Rodinal. But I also have some of Acufine's ACU-1 for developing 320TXP at EI6400. My choice of developers is based entirely on the fact that I got tiered of exhausted chemicals and wanted one-shot and VERY long shelf life. If a better combo for a certain situation exists, tough, I make do with what I'm using.

If you ask what's the "best" film/developer combo, you get as many answers as there are combinations and permutations of films with developers. A film/developer combo that does mid tones well if best for that situation. A film/developer combo that increases or decreases contrast is best for yet another situation and so on.

Is there some restriction on mail ordering your developer into Canada?
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Is there some restriction on mail ordering your developer into Canada?
Hello Tuco,

Thanks I am very exicted about it
No mail order from US to Canada for developer - too dangerous

I am wondering if Fomapan Classic 100 in 120 is really the equivalent of Agfa APX100, if such is the case then I would be using it with same developer than APX100. Unless of course it also disappear from the shelves.

Cheers,

Luc
03-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everything has been solved.
The local shop here in vancouver has just received a batch of Rodinal and I purchased 3 bottles of 500ml. That should get me going.

So now here is what I will do:

Rodinal 1-50
135 Agfa APX100
120 Fomapan Clasic 100

XTOL 1-2
135 Agfa APX400
120 Fomapan 400

Waiting for my first rolls of 120 to be delivered.

Cheers,

Luc

03-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's much simpler, I think, to start with one developer. There's lots you can do with development times and strengths to alter your negs even then.

I have little experience since my own personal foray into developing got pushed back. But I'm using Fuji Neopan 400 in Rodinal. I also have some Ilford Delta 3200 which should be pretty fun to try on street scenes.
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's much simpler, I think, to start with one developer.
I agree with you except that APX400/Fomapan 400 do not agree with Rodinal as according to my readings in APUG and Photonet the grain become really harsh and you do not get the nice tonality.
On the contrary APX100/Fomapan 100 and Rodinal have been made to be together.

Hopefully it will all come out fine. The next few weeks will tell.

Cheers,

Luc