Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

Schedule for the P645D introduction in Europe

Bastian Lende, a Pentax employee in Hamburg answered to the numerious questions about the delivery date of the P645D in Europe in a thread of the german dSLR Forum .

QuoteQuote:
Die Kamera wird erstmalig im asiatischen Raum ausgeliefert. Die ersten Stückzahlen dort werden für Mai erwartet.

Bis zum Frühsommer wird PENTAX die Nachfrage (und nicht nur das Interesse an der Technik, sondern natürlich die echte KAufbereitschaft erfragen). Der Abschluss dieser Marktforschung wird im Juni sein - danach wird direkt beschlossen, ob die 645 auch in Europa vertrieben wird.

Wer sich also mit dem Gedanken trägt, die 645 selbst zu importieren, sollte abgesehen von Kosten und Risiken, die damit verbunden sind auch daran denken, dass der Service dafür nur in Japan gewährleistet ist. Händler, die planen, selbst zu importieren, sollten dies ebenfalls beachten!

Sollte die Entscheidung für den Vertrieb in Eruopa fallen (was ich persönlich hoffe!) wird hier auch ein entsprechender Service gewährleistet sein.

Sobald wir in Hamburg das erste Sample in den Händen halten, werden wir Euch natürlich berichten, unabhängig davon, wie die Vertriebsentscheidung fallen wird.
PENTAX 645D - Wann kommt sie nach Europa? - DSLR-Forum

A coarse translation with google translate

QuoteQuote:
as queries in this regard stacked in my mailbox, I want to give you a brief reference of the proposed approach the 645D in Europe.

The camera is delivered first time in Asia. The first volume there are expected in May.

By the early summer of PENTAX will check the demand (and not just the interest in the technology, but of course ask for the genuine willingness to buy).
The completion of this research will be in June - after that is decided directly whether the 645 is marketed in Europe.

So if you bear with the idea to import the 645 itself should, apart from costs and risks associated with it also remember that the Service is guaranteed solely in Japan. Dealers who are planning to import itself, should note this well!

If the decision for distribution in Eruopa fall (which I personally hope!) Here also, a corresponding service will be ensured.

Once we keep in Hamburg, the first sample in hand, we will tell you, of course, regardless of fall as the distribution decision.

So - press your thumb and wait around 3 months!

03-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I guess the camera will need to sent to Japan for service. That will be inconvenient. But I bet that will change with time.
03-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No no,

What he meant was that if you decided to import straight from Japan, rather than wait for the Europe release, you are going to have to face :

- Cost
- Risk
- Warranty that is only available in Japan.

So the message is, wait til Summer, when the marketing research decided on whether there is enough consumer demand for the release in Europe
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Press your thumb"? Is that German for "cross your fingers"?

04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
"Press your thumb"? Is that German for "cross your fingers"?
yes it is

Another quote from Bastian Lende
QuoteQuote:
Wenn sie nach Europa kommt, wird sie zu 99 % unter 10.000,- Euro kosten mit Objektiv! Das ist schon so ziemlich beschlossene Sache...
IMHO this posting in the german DSLR Forum isn´t a private thing Bastian does by his own .
It is just an offical "open letter"from Pentax D-A-CH (Germany-Austria-Switzerland) to all to wait till june and to suppress "grey imports".
Interessing for me the number of requests and the numerious requests from dealers.
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
It is just an offical "open letter"from Pentax D-A-CH (Germany-Austria-Switzerland) to all to wait till june and to suppress "grey imports".
Interessing for me the number of requests and the numerious requests from dealers.
I think Pentax fear that this camera will be a huge sucess to such an extent that neither the supply or service pipelines can follow.
04-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
he second remark from Bastian Lende shows to me, that they are just working on the service pipeline.
Nobody who is making a market research in june - decides now that the price of the starter kit (P645N body+ 55mm) will be under 10 000€
Compare: the german online journal "photoscala" estimates on an article from 29th of march about 9200 € (including taxes and customs) for "own grey imported" body and < 10 000€ for grey import set.
Pentax 645D kann vorbestellt werden | photoscala
I see Bastians open letter post as a reponse to it .

btw: how can I reset the "Canon User" - Personnaly I never used a Canon
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think that and the Nikon ones are April Fools antics done by someone in control of the PHP source code.

Last edited by tuco; 04-01-2010 at 01:05 PM.
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

645D professional service

All they really have to do to provide quick service (to US or Europe) is keep a few bodies on hand as loaners. They can ship the bodies to be repaired to Japan.
04-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkkato Quote
All they really have to do to provide quick service (to US or Europe) is keep a few bodies on hand as loaners. They can ship the bodies to be repaired to Japan.
There's much more to this, like advanced training, people to talk to to caracterize "bugs" etc...

It's far from just hardware maintenance. A pro center is a trust relation relation between the pro photograther and the technician.
04-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
There's much more to this, like advanced training, people to talk to to caracterize "bugs" etc...

It's far from just hardware maintenance. A pro center is a trust relation relation between the pro photograther and the technician.
I also thing it shall be more than a simple repair service and some loan bodies. And it will last som times to build this infrastructure up.
04-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #12

he second remark from Bastian Lende shows to me, that they are just working on the service pipeline.
Nobody who is making a market research in june - decides now that the price of the starter kit (P645N body+ 55mm) will be under 10 000€
Compare: the german online journal "photoscala" estimates on an article from 29th of march about 9200 € (including taxes and customs) for "own grey imported" body and < 10 000€ for grey import set.
Pentax 645D kann vorbestellt werden | photoscala
I see Bastians open letter post as a reponse to it .

IMHO Anyway 9200,00 € is more expensive than 10000 $, if Pentax Europe releases this MF camera with this price there is no so much success as many people think, because it's most expensive also for who with photography works.

It would be wonderful if this camera comes with a price of 7000,00 € with lens.
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
You shouldn´t / you can´t compare it with US prices. Here in Europe (except Switzerland) a VAT from about 17- 25% (depends on state) has to be added .
The "netto" price from the above mentioned online journal is 7700 rsp. 6800 €.
04-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, prices are pretty much arbitrary in the USA. Or rather, they are always a lot lower than they really should be, conversion rates factored in.
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Yeah, prices are pretty much arbitrary in the USA. Or rather, they are always a lot lower than they really should be, conversion rates factored in.
We almost always forgot about VAT, on average it adds about 20% of price in Europe, it is included on display price while the VAT depends on the state in US, will be around 5-6% and is not included in displayed.

The difference without taxes is a lot narrower that we commonly feel. However it is true that for some specific items (like a Photoshop licence) the difference is unjustified (and hudge)