Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Software

I can get Aperture quite cheap via my university, but have seen Capture One's abilities through a trial and really like it, although I'm not sure of it as an organizer (seems more like a first stop tool). Obviously, C1 does not do everything. Photoshop Elements might complement it better than Aperture does. Or perhaps Lightroom. My impression so far on this forum and elsewhere is that many use several of these programmes to achieve what they want. Is that by choice - or more or less because of hopping from one to the other?

I can see that Aperture would probably be a neat organizer with some powerful tools, while Photoshop would provide *more* powerful tools—and Lightroom looks like it is, on average, somewhere in between. As I have not committed myself to any of these options yet, I'd appreciate some feedback on the desirability to use more than one programme (that runs on an Apple).

I have just become aware of another thread on cataloging software - very recent, I somehow missed it - but my question is slightly different it seems, as I want to know how many users have more than one programme BY CHOICE.

Last edited by Smolk; 03-31-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: another thread
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you want to get by cheap, you could use your brain instead of your wallet by using the camera to create the picture, use a free Open Source graphics editor and use the file manager in your operating system to organize your pictures.
03-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sure.... it is not so much about keeping it cheap, although I'd rather not spend when it isn't necessary. The file manager isn't my favourite tool.... I've got other options, though (DevonThink, I honestly forgot about that, and it will do perfectly as a manager), but I was thinking of typical manipulating features such as dodging / burning (still unaware of what these terms mean exactly but sensing they have to do with under/overexposure which is corrected locally rather than for the picture generally).
04-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If you want to get by cheap, you could use your brain instead of your wallet by using the camera to create the picture, use a free Open Source graphics editor and use the file manager in your operating system to organize your pictures.
Raw processors are different from one brand to another. I can tell that so far open source raw processors are inferior to licenced raw precessors like Adobe Camera Raw / Lightroom or DXO.

This is the same as why Photoshop CS is still used and have not been replaced by Gimp. Gimp is a competent alternative, but if you want the best, you pay for Photoshop, the difference is not small.

Everybody have his own feeling about it, but I don't regret one second to have paid my licences for both Lightroom and DXO. If you are willing to go the quality route with high end bodies, primes etc... it's not wise to go the cheap route with software, there's a real difference in ergonomics and output.

Most softwares around offers a trial period of 30 days, my advise is to try all the one that you consider for that period and see for the best fitting your needs.

Guillaume

04-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The OP has posted in a MF group and therefore must be scanning negatives. You don't need the "superior" features of proprietary software to get excellent analog to digital conversions edited in the GIMP. Unless you're doing calibrated CMYK printing or editing for a living, it will get you by just fine. It's funny that the mere mention of its name gets the Photoshop fanbois in a "superior" uproar every time.

What I recommend was for a "starving student" which, apparently, the OP is not.

Last edited by tuco; 04-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.