Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry_K Quote
On the other hand HDR is the only way to squeeze biological eye's dynamic range into screen's or paper's dynamic range while preserving local contrast.

J.
Well, I didn't mean to knock the attempt. There is nothing wrong with trying it out. But our eyes cannot distinguish all the degrees of 16 bit per channel color or 32 bit floating point per channel HDR color. We view HDR on low dynamic range devices (eg computer screen/graphics cards) so really, HDR is "invisible" unless you reduce the contrast or clip the HDR range for display on LDR devices. You do, however, see the increased light range of blending the exposures. But I don't know much about this subject so take my words with a grain of salt.

Last edited by tuco; 04-07-2010 at 12:57 PM.
04-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

The poster has already rejected AP, so that leaves metered manual mode. In metered manual, the ISO setting and exposure compensation merely affect the meter reading, not the amount of light incident on the film, which is entirely controlled by the aperture and shutter settings. To obtain bracketing in manual metered mode, i.e., to change the amount of light incident on the film, the poster has only two choices...vary the aperture or vary shutter setting. Since constant aperture has been stated as desirable, that leaves only the shutter setting, which can only be varied in 1-stop increments, ergo, the problem.

Best, Alan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You need to think outside the box.
In auto, use the ISO control to bias the exposure away from what the meter thinks it wants, and then use exposure compensation to do your bracketing.
04-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ARCASIA Quote
The poster has already rejected AP, so that leaves metered manual mode. In metered manual, the ISO setting and exposure compensation merely affect the meter reading, not the amount of light incident on the film, which is entirely controlled by the aperture and shutter settings. To obtain bracketing in manual metered mode, i.e., to change the amount of light incident on the film, the poster has only two choices...vary the aperture or vary shutter setting. Since constant aperture has been stated as desirable, that leaves only the shutter setting, which can only be varied in 1-stop increments, ergo, the problem.

Best, Alan
Apparently you didn't fully comprehend either his objection or my response.
My response answers his concern regarding automatic exposure while at the same time giving him the ability to do exposure compensation in 1/3 stop increments.
Of course, he may still reject using auto exposure, except that now he doesn't have much reason for doing so other than hidebound stubbornness.
Like I said, sometimes we have to think outside the box.
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Forum Member

Jerry K said: "Therefore, my question could be reformulated in the following manner: how do I do bracketing in manual metering mode by values being fractions of one step?"

I believe that I understood his question and addressed it.

As for your "out if the box suggestion", I just could not understand it, as it was written. Sorry, likely my problem. But I have now gone over it and I believe I understand it and it seems like it should work for Jerry. To paraphrase what I understand you to be saying, you operate the camera in auto (aperture priority) mode, where the aperture is user set, the camera determines the shutter speed, and the exposure compensation works as intended in 1/3 stop increments, to be used for bracketing. If then, for bracketing shots, the shutter speed becomes different from that of the first shot, on account of changing lighting conditions or composition, you compensate by altering the ISO setting until the original shutter speed of the first shot is reattained. Then you can use the exposure compensation in 1/3 increments for bracketing about the settings of the first shot.

Best, Alan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Apparently you didn't fully comprehend either his objection or my response.
My response answers his concern regarding automatic exposure while at the same time giving him the ability to do exposure compensation in 1/3 stop increments.
Of course, he may still reject using auto exposure, except that now he doesn't have much reason for doing so other than hidebound stubbornness.
Like I said, sometimes we have to think outside the box.

04-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ARCASIA Quote
Jerry K said: "Therefore, my question could be reformulated in the following manner: how do I do bracketing in manual metering mode by values being fractions of one step?"

I believe that I understood his question and addressed it.

As for your "out if the box suggestion", I just could not understand it, as it was written. Sorry, likely my problem. But I have now gone over it and I believe I understand it and it seems like it should work for Jerry. To paraphrase what I understand you to be saying, you operate the camera in auto (aperture priority) mode, where the aperture is user set, the camera determines the shutter speed, and the exposure compensation works as intended in 1/3 stop increments, to be used for bracketing. If then, for bracketing shots, the shutter speed becomes different from that of the first shot, on account of changing lighting conditions or composition, you compensate by altering the ISO setting until the original shutter speed of the first shot is reattained. Then you can use the exposure compensation in 1/3 increments for bracketing about the settings of the first shot.

Best, Alan
I was thinking more in terms of using the ISO to set the shutter speed for the initial exposure.
I'm not a real expert in HDR, but it seems to me that if the light changes drastically while shooting an HDR series, it's more than likely a ruined attempt.
If the light is changing that rapidly, conditions for HDR would be rather limited, I think.

Anyway, I suspect this would work, though I think if the ISO is set to within a couple of stops of one of the extremes, the full exposure compensation control won't be available.
I don't have a 67II, but it is how my LX and Super Programs worked. The ISO and exposure compensation both work off the ISO resistor, so the combination of the two adjustments can only go so far.
Can anyone confirm this on the 67II?
04-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I usually do this only by utilising full manual mode, and then I take each shot half or one stop either side of the original. These can be blended in PS if necessary. I have never found the need to use exposure compensation using the in-camera EV.