Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
120 Negative Storage Options

Mods are free to relocate this to the PP/Darkroom section if they please.

I have started shooting a little 120 (film holder on 4x5 view camera) and was wondering what all of you use as a negative storage option. I do my own B&W and have my color stuff returned to me uncut. I have been using the plastic sleeve binder pages for 35mm and am not really happy with them. Wrestling the larger 120 strips in and out of the sticky/bindy sleeves does not appeal to me.

Anyone care to share what they do? Thanks...

Steve

04-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I always used PrintFile sleeves. The only thing I didn't like about the ones that I could get here was that they only had 4 slots, I suspect designed for 12 shot cameras. With the 6x7, there was no real convenient option that I ever found.
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have been tempted to buy continuous sleeve by the roll and store the sections in envelopes.

As for the #rows/page...it looks like they think everyone shoots 6x6

Steve
04-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

Pergamin sheets /sleves for 120 film. Economic (< 5ct/sheet) and long time stable

04-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
Pergamin sheets /sleves for 120 film. Economic (< 5ct/sheet) and long time stable
I don't believe these are available in N. America.

Steve
04-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought 'print file' brand plastic sleeves, probably from B&H, because they advertise holding "twelve 6x6, nine 6x7, or fifteen 6x4.5" Which they do... but how many 6x9's and how many P645 spaced 6x4.5's? Nothing's perfect. It isn't too difficult to get 120 film into the sleeves, easier in fact than some 35mm
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...It isn't too difficult to get 120 film into the sleeves, easier in fact than some 35mm
That is my concern. I have been using Clear File pages for 35mm and it is often a struggle to get the strip into the sleeve.

Steve

04-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been tempted to buy continuous sleeve by the roll and store the sections in envelopes.

As for the #rows/page...it looks like they think everyone shoots 6x6

Steve
That is exactly what I have been doing. Here is a thread I contributed to on photo.net with some discussion of this idea: Help archiving film. And here is another about what type of sleeving to purchase and where to get it: What sleeve to use for 120 and 35mm?. So maybe those will be of some use.

Still there is no perfect solution. One of my issues is that I cut my 6x6 and 6x7 rolls into different lengths (numbers of frames) based on how many are most appropriate for my scanner, and this means different cut lengths. So basically this means I end up with two different size envelopes to deal with. I am still thinking of how I might standardize this a little more.

Another alternative I have been considering is that there are some storage pages with slots actually designed to hold sleeved frames. I.e., the film goes into the sleeving, and then the cut sleeves go into a storage page. But I you don't like inserting strips directly into storage pages, then maybe dealing with the sleeves going into the pages doesn't really add anything.

Good luck,

Jeff
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denverdad Quote
That is exactly what I have been doing. Here is a thread I contributed to on photo.net with some discussion of this idea: Help archiving film. And here is another about what type of sleeving to purchase and where to get it: What sleeve to use for 120 and 35mm?. So maybe those will be of some use.

Still there is no perfect solution. One of my issues is that I cut my 6x6 and 6x7 rolls into different lengths (numbers of frames) based on how many are most appropriate for my scanner, and this means different cut lengths. So basically this means I end up with two different size envelopes to deal with. I am still thinking of how I might standardize this a little more.

Another alternative I have been considering is that there are some storage pages with slots actually designed to hold sleeved frames. I.e., the film goes into the sleeving, and then the cut sleeves go into a storage page. But I you don't like inserting strips directly into storage pages, then maybe dealing with the sleeves going into the pages doesn't really add anything.

Good luck,

Jeff
Thanks for the references. I will give them a look-see.

Steve
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I always used PrintFile sleeves. The only thing I didn't like about the ones that I could get here was that they only had 4 slots, I suspect designed for 12 shot cameras. With the 6x7, there was no real convenient option that I ever found.
I use the same thing, with the same problem with 6x7--only two exposures to a compartment. These things really were meant for 6x6. The 645s don't come out exactly right, either.
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought 'print file' brand plastic sleeves, probably from B&H, because they advertise holding "twelve 6x6, nine 6x7, or fifteen 6x4.5" Which they do... but how many 6x9's and how many P645 spaced 6x4.5's? Nothing's perfect. It isn't too difficult to get 120 film into the sleeves, easier in fact than some 35mm
I find the P645 spacing more consistent than, say, the RB67 backs, but neither works consistently in those sleeves.
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I believe I have a couple of different arrangements of Printfile 120 sleeves, I could measure. (I think I had to change types when I had to change how I cut my negs for my scanner) Anyway, I can look.

My first choice has always been glassines for 120, though I haven't seen any in a while. (They may have changed the name to something a little less archaic-sounding. ) Adorama may, or Freestyle. The Printfile ones are OK, though.
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I believe I have a couple of different arrangements of Printfile 120 sleeves, I could measure. (I think I had to change types when I had to change how I cut my negs for my scanner) Anyway, I can look.

My first choice has always been glassines for 120, though I haven't seen any in a while. (They may have changed the name to something a little less archaic-sounding. ) Adorama may, or Freestyle. The Printfile ones are OK, though.
I think they call them "plastines" now (LINK). They cost about the same per roll as pages.

Steve
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought 120 pages from Germany and they are readily available in UK as well. I did notice that the company discontinued one line, which made it look like they no longer made them at all. But they were available under another name. (Sort of like Rodinal.)

Sorry, but I do not have the brand available to me here.
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think they call them "plastines" now (LINK). They cost about the same per roll as pages.

Steve
Hrm, same kind of shape, anyway. Not sure they're made of the same stuff as glassines (Kind of a misnomer, those, more like a waxed paper, those) but they could be just as good. Look somewhat clearer.

I like the blurb under there, though: someone must have been in a hurry:

Plastines will protect your film from the elements and other unwanted items...

I liked the old kind for being very not-prone to scratching the negs: Pretty sure I've seen some around somewhere, in a roll of 35mm, at least: these at least appear to not have the annoying seam down the back.

Incidentally, the vertical pages I have take three strips of 255mm length, or ten inches even, (that's not counting the overhang at top and bottom, that doesn't fully protect. This'll hold 5 645 frames from my Mamiya per strip. )

I'm not sure where any horizontal ones may be, must not have many of them.