Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645D vs Nikon vs Canon

Chris Wilson's blog has a small tidbit about the April edition of Nihon Camera which looks at the Pentax 645D vs CaNikon full frame DSLRs. Don't get too excited though...

Pentax 645D v Nikon D3X v Canon EOS-1 Ds Mark III Chris Willson's Blog

04-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Who has preordered one? Dirk at Japan Exposures has it up for preorder. Considering this is not a US/Europe/Outside of Japan price from a Pentax dealer, it may be that this might come in under $10,000 USD for the US market.

japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)
04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Who has preordered one? Dirk at Japan Exposures has it up for preorder. Considering this is not a US/Europe/Outside of Japan price from a Pentax dealer, it may be that this might come in under $10,000 USD for the US market.

japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)
I'll wait until it's officially released here, how about you?
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Decision is pending tonight's lottery results...

Realistically, I will wait until used copies start showing up. I was thinking about the Mamiya ZD series used. I could have purchased a refurbished back for $3600 USD. Add a used body and lens and you could easily be under $5000 USD for the whole package, but I like my 645N and lenses too much to move to and learn a new series. Those prices are only after a couple of years on the market - look at what some of the early digital backs are selling for now (some well under $1000). I suspect this will be a huge hit (relative to other Medium format digital sales figures) and that will spur a follow up body that will create a nice field of used Pentax 645D bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I'll wait until it's officially released here, how about you?

04-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Don't get too excited though...
Er yeah, rather pointless article. "The very fact that the magazine chose to compare the Pentax 645 with 35mm digital cameras rather than other medium format cameras is interesting." Why is it interesting? The author does not say.

Me, I think it's just silly having a chart comparing 5 frames per second with 1.1. It would have made so much more sense to compare with the other MF digitals, but I guess the magazine didn't want Pentax looking too good.