Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA lenses: on the 645N / NII / D

Having an arsenal of 645 manual focus lenses with which I'm very satisfied, I just wonder the following:

1. autofocus was a relatively new thing for medium format when Pentax introduced it on the 645N. How well does it work? Do the lenses suffer from malfunction (more than the manual focus counterparts)?

2. What are the differences to be expected with the 645D? The FA lenses will have more electric contacts, but will autofocus still work with the new body?

Just curiosity. But also planning for further purchases perhaps. As I love my 645 and 645N. And as the 645N is battered, while the plain 645 is neat and almost pristine, I have to admit that the 645N is more practical. But there's something about the 645 that makes me keep it.

04-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

I shot running horses on a knight tournament show with the 400mm on the 645NII and had a lot of keepers. I had no lens break in more than 5 years and really loved the system. Especially the low battery consumption of the NII was amazing. I pulled more than 250 rolls with one set of Lithium AAs through it. The system never let me down. A truly professional camera and lenses.
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Having an arsenal of 645 manual focus lenses with which I'm very satisfied, I just wonder the following:

1. autofocus was a relatively new thing for medium format when Pentax introduced it on the 645N. How well does it work? Do the lenses suffer from malfunction (more than the manual focus counterparts)?

2. What are the differences to be expected with the 645D? The FA lenses will have more electric contacts, but will autofocus still work with the new body?

Just curiosity. But also planning for further purchases perhaps. As I love my 645 and 645N. And as the 645N is battered, while the plain 645 is neat and almost pristine, I have to admit that the 645N is more practical. But there's something about the 645 that makes me keep it.
1. None of my FA lenses have failed me yet- however, focusing manually on the FA's, especially the macro, is harder than on the A's.

2. Obviously, the body is digital. Full support will be extended for FA and A lenses, and the new D FA lens series will support SDM focusing rather than the mechanical motor. AFAIK, the body will still support AF on FA lenses, just like the K-7 supports both SDM on DA's and mechanical AF on FA's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

Tried and true shaft drive AF has not failed me yet since 1997. It is very handy to have. Not the fastest system now but when used properly it is very accurate and locks focus well.

I agree 100% that the A's has a better focus feel by at least a mile.

04-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My limited experience with the 645N (must use more!) plus everything I have ever read, concurs that the auto-focus is excellent. In fact it kind of makes me wonder how they dropped the ball for so long with AF on the APS-C system.

I must practise more with manual focus on the 645N. So far my performance is only just OK.