Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fragla Quote
But when I check my photos, Most of them are at 200mm.
You already answered your own question...

02-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Fragla, I don't know what to tell you - you take excellent portraits with what you have so I suppose either would be fine . It really comes down to size and weight vs. focal length. I really miss the 135-200mm range when I have the DA* on, but the size of the 70-200 really draws attention - with the hood on the 70-200, it looks like you should be at a football stadium . The 50-135 is fairly long with it's hood on - about as long as the 70-200 without it's hood. Jay posted a great size comparison series here.

Ultamately, if you use 200mm a lot, you might find the 50-135 just too short like I do, and you do have the Pentax-F 50 for when 70mm is to long (and there's always plastic garbage bags to waterproof the Tamron).
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Fragla, I don't know what to tell you - you take excellent portraits with what you have so I suppose either would be fine . It really comes down to size and weight vs. focal length. I really miss the 135-200mm range when I have the DA* on, but the size of the 70-200 really draws attention - with the hood on the 70-200, it looks like you should be at a football stadium . The 50-135 is fairly long with it's hood on - about as long as the 70-200 without it's hood. Jay posted a great size comparison series here.

Ultamately, if you use 200mm a lot, you might find the 50-135 just too short like I do, and you do have the Pentax-F 50 for when 70mm is to long (and there's always plastic garbage bags to waterproof the Tamron).

Thanks Jay for your reply. I ahve 50mm manual lens,and I use manual focus a lot. Right now I have 200mm 3.5 and its manual,but still I like the focal length of 200mm.

135-200 is very good for street photography, and I prefer to take photos of my friends during our meetings or on some parties at 150-200 range.
Weight is big deal for others,but my Tokina 28-70 is a big and old METAL lens. Im not sure but its about 900 grams, and If I add just 200gr more its Tamron 70-200.

Also I got some invintations for wedding and portrait photography. Right now Im waiting and dont want to go to sessions with bad glass. Wedding is the very very important step in human life, thus I have to do my best and to get better photos.

Its so hard to make a decision when there is paradox 50-135 or 70-200

Last edited by AlexanderMayorov; 02-25-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: .
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Its so hard to make a decision when there is paradox 50-135 or 70-200
The Tammy is just really big. It's size hampers my shooting a little bit, for psychological reasons - I sometimes hate lugging it around, and people sometimes feel like they're being watched by a high-powered telescope when they become aware of you and that affects them as subjects.

Optically, though, it's just a total stone blast to use. The 50-135 is the same, but it is nice to have f/2.8 available at 200mm.

It's possible to rent both for a week and try them out - that way, you'll have a fun time deciding where to invest

(in cases with 50-135 & tammy 28-75)

(with 77ltd)

(with hood on camera)

02-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well probably I will go with Tammy.
In 2 months I will buy one of them. 70-200 is heavy gear,but 200mm with 2.8 is something else. Also since I live in Istanbul and citizen of Kyrgyzstan but Im russian, I have no problem traveling. During the summer or maybe in september I plan to pay visit to Kyrgyzstan and take some portraits in my style, then in Russia and Turkey. Later may to publish them and to donate money from book or calendar for charity.

Anyway thats my plan....

In addition, there is no such opportunity to rent both of the lenses.Ive used 50-135, its great, but I miss 200mm.

I cant buy 200mm 2.8 and 50-135 2.8, thus I try check for all possibilities and get the best one that suits for me.
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Addendum: Focus speed comparison!

I had a PM requesting a comparison of the focusing speed between these two lenses... Using my patented (well no not really) record the lens focusing and compare the sound waveforms visually in Audacity technique, I got some results for ya...

First methodology...
I used my cell phone to record these lenses focusing from their closest focusing stop to a point approx. 15' away, so I'm not focusing to infinity here, but most of the way there for the both lenses. I would prefer to compare the time it takes for worst case focus travel time from close to infinity, but I didn't have a target with a clear shot out my bedroom window, and conditions dictated that this is the data you're gonna get for now . Both lenses were mounted on my K20D with fairly fresh batteries in it
(body and grip).

In Audacity, I cropped away the silence on either end of the focus cycle - you can see the 50-135 is startlingly quiet, and this is an unfair volume comparison as this recording was made with my phone (the recording device here) touching the lens body whereas the Tamron recording was probably made at a distance of about 5 inches... I would speculate the loudest part of the SDM focusing - the spikes at each end of the cycle is the clutch mechanism engaging and later disengaging but I really have no idea.

Here's a screenshot of the waveforms...

So, a second for the DA* and just under 0.7 sec. for the Tamron.

If anyone can send me a recording of their HSM Sigma 70-200 from close focus to infinity, I'll redo my recordings to cover that focus range too, and repost that info..
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

First methodology...
I used my cell phone to record these lenses focusing from their closest focusing stop to a point approx. 15' away, so I'm not focusing to infinity here, but most of the way there for the both lenses. I would prefer to compare the time it takes for worst case focus travel time from close to infinity, but I didn't have a target with a clear shot out my bedroom window, and conditions dictated that this is the data you're gonna get for now . Both lenses were mounted on my K20D with fairly fresh batteries in it
(body and grip).

In Audacity, I cropped away the silence on either end of the focus cycle - you can see the 50-135 is startlingly quiet, and this is an unfair volume comparison as this recording was made with my phone (the recording device here) touching the lens body whereas the Tamron recording was probably made at a distance of about 5 inches... I would speculate the loudest part of the SDM focusing - the spikes at each end of the cycle is the clutch mechanism engaging and later disengaging but I really have no idea.

If anyone can send me a recording of their HSM Sigma 70-200 from close focus to infinity, I'll redo my recordings to cover that focus range too, and repost that info..

Josh, I have to say, this is a very good method to measure AF speed, good thinking.

02-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

So, a second for the DA* and just under 0.7 sec. for the Tamron...
I think that Tamron focuses faster because it's focusing mechanism needs fewer degrees of turn per object to lens distance change than the Pentax 50-135. I could say that it has lower focus “resolution”. The price is that at great object to lens distance and wide diaphragm (shallow Depth of Field) there is always an uncertainty of precise focusing (it needs miniscule motor steps). I tend to shoot about 5 subsequent frames to get one focus correctly.
The 200 vs. 135 mm focal length just make things touchier.
Despite this, I choose the Tamron over the Pentax because of the extra reach and the way better CA and flare resistant behaviour.

02-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Here's a screenshot of the waveforms...

Thanks for sharing your results, Josh. I'm hoping someone will take a recording of the Sigma...this is very interesting.
02-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Josh, thanks a lot for the comparison test of 2 lenses.Im a confused thus I asked you to perform such a test.
Thanks a lot.
02-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used my cell phone to record these lenses focusing from their closest focusing stop to a point approx. 15' away, so I'm not focusing to infinity here, but most of the way there for the both lenses.
Interesting technique. Please also try this in lowered light if you have time. Someone reported the Sigma 70-200HSM hunted a lot less than the Tamron and was able to continue locking focus in AF-C mode. The Sigma has a lot longer throw than the Tamron as well, so this is a bit surprising...
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I made decision,the only things those keep me away from tammy are time and money....
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I ordered Tammy,and not its in Indy. One user will be in Istanbul on 5th of April. Im so nervous about testing it.

I found some images only, but test done on Canon 5D. I hope you dont mind about the images taken on Canon.

03-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

03-28-2009, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #30

Hi All,
Im so confused with comparison of these 2 lenses.
When I ask myself what I will shoot and what type I shoot? Answer is Portaits.
Which one is better ? 50-135 or 70-200?
Tamron 70-200 is good because I have 135-200 with 2.8
Pentax is better - for SDM
Tamron is good but not weathersealed.
Pentax give me oportunity for 50mm 2.8 but I miss 135-200 range
Tamron is heavier.

But when I check my photos, Most of them are at 200mm.

Price is the same.

What should I do?
50-135 on apsc equals to 76.5-206.55. So you needn't worried about missing the 135-200 range, on the contrary, the 50-70 range is need to consider.
while, 70-200 on apsc is 107.1 to 306. Think about it, if using the 50-135 you will miss the range from 200-300. If using the 70-200, you will miss the range from 70-105. Which one you need to buy, depends on which range you truly need.

Last edited by innovation; 03-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.