Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Thanks for the info, and your thoughts on it. Particularly regarding fish industry farming. Still maybe not all places are as bad. I have heard that they generally pollute quite a lot though

First time I've acknowledged that GPS in camera could actually be very useful.
You are welcome. All places are not bad, but certainly the eastern half of Gulf of Finland is in very bad shape. There are also severe bluegreen algae blooms every summer.

03-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sounds like the DA line of lenses might undergo modifications and a redesign to the rear group to project a wider image circle, making them FF ready. Yeah!!!
If this is true then this is the best news I've had in a while. Go Pentax (Hoya) !!
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #123
Veteran Member

As we crawl back to discussing FF in this thread...

In a recent interview for German FotoMagazin, when asked about "when FF?", Pentax said "let's first make sure we have the necessary lenses in place" ...

Before that, Pentax (the same person) always said in similiar interviews: "No need for FF, APS-C is great, let's deploy it's full potential".

Is there a slight shift in policy?
03-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
As we crawl back to discussing FF in this thread...

In a recent interview for German FotoMagazin, when asked about "when FF?", Pentax said "let's first make sure we have the necessary lenses in place" ...

Before that, Pentax (the same person) always said in similiar interviews: "No need for FF, APS-C is great, let's deploy it's full potential".

Is there a slight shift in policy?
Perhaps a sign that APS-C has reached its full potential from a marketing point of view.

03-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I was wondering...if they are tweaking the lens mount/some of the lenses...and they've already stated that the revisions are not optical...

What if Pentax figured out a way to make the mount itself sealed, making any lens you mounted on the new camera semi-sealed - with most of the primes being fully sealed?

Thoughts?
03-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #126
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Me too.

And because the patent is impossible to read conveniently otherwise, I made a PDF from it for the convenience of my fellow forum friends.

Here we go:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/29998d1236...unt-patent.pdf

Enjoy
Thanks. From what I can make out, looks like the focus is on accomodating weather-resistant lens rather than any revisions to the optics (sorry, creampuff).

Seems to be a slight revision of the mount on the body -- basically the same mount with one key difference -- the flange of the mount on the 1st body is wider than the flange of the mount on the 2nd body.

They describe:
- A lens with a sealing ring that presses against the mount on the camera body for water resistance.
- A 1st body (the "compatible" body) which is built taking into account the pressure exerted by the lens sealing ring, so that the optimum lens to sensor distance is maintained.
- A 2nd body (the "incompatible" body) where the lens would connect to the body with the sealing ring not coming in contact with the body mount. Thus maintaining optimum lens to sensor distance, but no water resistance sealing.

They explain that the reason they are doing this is that the 2nd body was not designed to take such lenses, so the pressure of the sealing ring on the body mount would throw the lens to sensor distance off the optimum.

Presumably, the 1st body is the future we are looking at.

Other patents they have filed for:
- Improved anti-shake mechanism (US patent application 20080298790)

- Improved motor in SDM lenses (US patent application 20080297003)

- Miniaturisation of the viewfinding system (presumably for the K20D-type camera because it describes the use of a prism) (US patent application 20080232791)