Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Video: How to change your focusing screen!
Posted By: codiac2600, 12-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Hey everybody, thought I'd start out by posting a video about changing your focusing screen. I'm going to be working on a weekly how-to video library online for Pentax K10D users and it's going to be free because thats the way I am.

Go to Photography 2.0 - Reaching the Masses with Technology and the video should be right there for you to view in all it's high quality-ness.

Let me know what you think and please post what you'd like to see as the next video and I'll start planning away!

WARNING! This is a HQ video for to keep the detail high so be warned that you will definitely need a high-speed internet connection to view this video!
Views: 21,854
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Well Chris, I said it there and I'll say it here. Thanks for taking the initiative. Well done.

As for changing the screen on the istD, I've been wanting to doit for months - I have it on the desk. Reasons I didn't do it:

1. I WAS afraid to - it would seem that fear is unfounded.
2. I read somewhere it darkens the screen - I can't afford for the screen to be darkened.

Suggestion for the next video: Cleaning the sensor.

12-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just viewed the Bar Video ya da man Chris thanks for the contribution ! I am glad you are persuing a passion and that should make for a happy life (and you have enriched mine as well ) Kudos to ya !

Where did you buy that wireless accesory for the 540 flash ? Gotta get me one of those.
12-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Chris, I watched the video once, great. My Katz Eye for K10D arrives next week and I went to review the video but it seems to be gone. Will you be reloading it to YouTube????

Loved the Bar shot tute and thanks for some great creative ideas

Take Care

David
12-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops, I was clicking on the heading K10D: etc and not the video window above. Works fine and can now install my Katz Eye with confidence. Also, really enjoyed the macro tutes. Keep em coming.

David

12-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Seems like you have removed the video, only "Video Coming Soon!" announcement there
Are you putting it back any time soon?

Thanks anyway...
01-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #21

Hey,
Thanks for that video. It was timely for me anyway as I finally convinced myself that I needed a decent focusing screen in my K10d. Was almost going to let the shop install it. You saved me $$65-.

What a difference it makes with the Sigma 105 and the Bigma!

Mud
01-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Warning - Not Always Quite So Easy!

Yes, Chris (and Pentax) did make the entire installation seem very easy. However, that was certainly not the case for me. After lifting the screen retainer (clip) to allow the frame to open (to lower the frame to remove the original screen), the screen retainer moved far enough back to actually block the frame from returning to its normal locked position. This prevented the installation of any focusing screen. It took some time and numerous attempts to discover the cause and correct it. Once the screen retainer was lifted manually, rather than depending on the frame to do so, the retainer worked properly and continues to do so.

But, in the process of all that, the repeated handled focusing screen was severely scratched. Since this was ultimately caused by the abnormal behavior of the camera's screen retainer, I'm hoping Pentax will replace the damaged screen under warranty. I sent it in a few days ago and am waiting for a reply. In the meantime, the original focusing screen is back in the camera.

stewart

01-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Forum Member

Wow! Thanks so much for the video. I am just about to order a Katzeye so this was very timely.

As far as suggestion for other tutorials, would a lesson on the 540 flash be too involved for you to do? The manual that came with it is, shall we say, lacking? As someone new to the use of a flash an expaination of what the manual is explaining would be a great help.

Thanks again for putting your time in to this.

Robin
01-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the all the response!

Everything can be found on youtube and I should do the sensor clean one since it's my job at the camera store to do it and I've done more than my fair share of them.

Hmm... 540 tutorial would also be good, but might be too long, could do it in multiple videos touching only a specific topic.

Well I'll get to work starting the work on another video and clean up the studio so it looks a little better this time.
01-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris!

This is very helpful fo me.
Good job. Thanks.

Other useful videos (for me at least) would be:

• cleaning the sensor using multiple methods (blowing, cleaning kits etc),
• cleaning the viewfinder,
• slave flash setup,
• remote flash setup.

Perhaps you or anyone else is interested in doing this?

- Bert
01-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I like the photo/flash techniques in the bar series. It was informative and interesting. Everyone should take a look. I also like that ghostbuster slide comment.

whhoops... replied to the wrong thread.
01-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I like the photo/flash techniques in the bar series. It was informative and interesting. Everyone should take a look.
Yes, I agree.
Very useful!

Does anyone know what wireless flash connection was used?
And where to buy one?

- Bert
01-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Excellent videos! Thank you very much! I will now order my Katz-Eye screen, thanks to your instructions!
01-15-2008, 05:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Thank you for the videos Chris. To address a couple of questions raised by others:
The blog page said video was pending and then downloaded in a new window in a new web version of DIv X - very cool and no problems except for a bit of a delay.

I needed to get in there in my DL2 and remove a hair and a couple of bad dirt spots and was inspired after watching the vid. Yes this model does have the same (nearly) fold down mechanism.

Not having a screen to change meant I had no dedicated tools. The swiss army knife toothpick and tweezers did the job. The frame that holds the screen folded down but on the DL2 there is a gold rectangular u shaped spacer that sits on top of the screen and helps hold the frame under tension - very flimsy and slippery. Manageabe though and the whole assembly still works so i'm still looking for an excuse to upgrade to the K?D asap.
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
cmv

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Thanks Chris it was a very informative video. I wish I had that when I changed my screen in my DL. (I really mucked things up) but I did get a new screen for it and had a tech do it. I'm now thinking of taking it out again and getting rid of the dust that has built up on it again. So I will follow your instructions. Now on the DL there is a little copper or brass spacer that also has to line up in the tray and the screen needs to be evenly spaced to get the screen centered. It is enough to make you want to through the camera out the window when the dam thing keeps falling out of the tray or doesn't line up. Any suggestions on keeping this stupid little piece in place and keeping your sanity?
I did my own screen on the DL and it is tricky with the extra spacer. I'd suggest using wooden/plastic toothpicks for assistance (to hold things in place as you put them in). One thing to help with the dust is to run the shower in the bathroom to raise the humidity level an bring the dust down. You also want plenty of light so you can see what is going on!

Finally, remember a couple of attempts is okay. Cleaning off the screen is no fun at all and you'll probably need to put it on and take it off a couple times to get it perfect if a few dust spots annoy you. Here is a diagram (done quickly) a while back that shows how the shim works in the DL:

When shopping for a replacement screen it is a good idea to look for one that has the tiny little "handle" on the upper left/right side of the screen like the stock one has. You can use tweezers on that little handle to move the screen around. I have some dust on mine but I don't even notice it anymore.