Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
View finder screen shims
Posted By: pacerr, 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM

QuoteQuote:
Does the (XXXX) normally have a focusing screen shim?
Yes. And in general, the presence of a shim is a 'good' thing.

Bodies are designed for a 'medium' shim as the default configuration to allow the assembly process to correct for the normal variances in components. Manufacturing each body with the precision needed to eliminate minor assembly adjustments would be extremely expensive.

I consider it a good thing to discover a new body had a shim other than the norm provided focus is OK, as it would indicate that during assembly, or QA sample testing, someone checked and an adjustment was determined necessary to meet PASS/FAIL criteria.

If there was any indication that an non-normal, or no, shim was present or that the screen was miss-handled in a 'pre-owned' body I'd consider it cause to suspect there had been other than 'skilled hands' involved -- especially if it was not acknowledged during a sale.

There's ample evidence in on-line forums that folks that don't understand the process are messin' with focus screens -- inexpensive third party screens make the process too tempting to resist.

I've got two bodies I've picked up VERY cheap from people that tried to 'improve' focusing and finally just gave up. Both were offered with an aftermarket split image screen as a upgrade!

Unfortunately, some of these folks then proceed to bash a given brand or body as crap because they don't understand that they were the problem.

Shims don't fix lens issues, they match the VF focus screen to the sensor surface. Auto focus doesn't involve the VF screen image -- and a miss-adjusted diopter setting doesn't affect AF.

H2
Views: 1,595