Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Shutter Count
Posted By: kenhough, 01-04-2017, 04:27 AM

Shutter count can be found very easily via 'exiftool' which is available for Windows and for Linux. I have used only the Linux version, as follows:

The command 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef' will read a RAW/PEF file to present you with a very long list of stuff which should include a line headed "Shutter Count".

Instead of having to read through this list, use 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef | grep "Shutter Count".

Easy!

New online tool: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Views: 2,224
02-27-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I recently got off my butt and installed the EXIF Tool and EXIF Tool GUI. Had them for years but saved them to a folder and just found them the other day. What a great tool, especially with the GUI. I can do the command line thing, but GUI's have made me lazy and unfamiliar with the command line.

And now I find out I don't have to save a copy of a photo as Jpeg, upload it, no, wait, forgot to resize it, it is too big, go back to Photoshop, resize, upload, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait some more then see the shutter count. Don't get me wrong, the web based tool that Adam has here is fantastic too. Used it dozens of times and have referred countless people to it.

But now that I know I can pop open EXIF Tool, and see it right there, I have a quicker, more convenient method.
It is a wonderful tool. I also use it for AF micro adjustments as it shows the AF adjustment value in the EXIF. So I can take a series of shots at different AF values and then pick the one that is sharpest (zoom into 1:1 and lock zoom and position in irfanview the cycle through the shots - another nice app) through knowing what setting I had in the EXIF.