Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Shutter Count
Posted By: kenhough, 01-04-2017, 04:27 AM

Shutter count can be found very easily via 'exiftool' which is available for Windows and for Linux. I have used only the Linux version, as follows:

The command 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef' will read a RAW/PEF file to present you with a very long list of stuff which should include a line headed "Shutter Count".

Instead of having to read through this list, use 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef | grep "Shutter Count".

Easy!

New online tool: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Views: 7,701
01-04-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or more simpler, use this:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
01-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Agreed.
01-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Agreed.

01-04-2017, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP is giving a Linux command-line solution for reading shuttercount from a RAW file. While any computer user (Win, Mac, Linux) can use the online shuttercount tool in a browser, it reads only jpegs.

Last edited by paulh; 01-04-2017 at 11:59 AM.
01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The OP is giving a Linux command-line solution for reading shuttercount from a RAW file. While any computer user (Win, Mac, Linux) can use the online shuttercount tool in a browser, it reads only jpegs.
It should also be noted that the shuttercount tool appears to be Pentax-centric. I can't speak for Canikon generated files since I don't have one of those cameras but just for fun, I tried it with a jpeg file shot with my Panasonic Lumix FZ50 and it didn't work.
01-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
It should also be noted that the shuttercount tool appears to be Pentax-centric.
It is, but I would think it could work for any format by changing the file extension in the command line.

01-05-2017, 02:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But this link requires that you upload an image

exiftool operates directly on an image.
01-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It is, but I would think it could work for any format by changing the file extension in the command line.
Yes, I've just confirmed that exiftool can also find shutter count from a jpg file.
01-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
For Win10 : You add Exif Tool Gui to EXIF Tool for a user friendly front end. Extract EXIF Tool, rename "exiftool(-K)" to exiftool and place in c:\Windows. Then just extact Exif Tool Gui, send a shortcut to desk top and voila. You won't need a codec for previews if you have CC or PS, it will handle that. Works best on a JPEG straight from camera though, so click and read the memory card directly.

Or you can just use the utility here. Found out I've put 23K on my K3II since spring and my current 2nd body, a K5IIs, is at 135K.
GUIs available for exiftool under Linux, but command line operation is typically simpler and potentially more powerful than under Windows.
02-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good tutorial. I find exiftool to be the simplest way to check the shutter count...especially when I don't have the internet, which is often! Plus all kinds of other cool data is in the exif.
02-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #12
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I recently got off my butt and installed the EXIF Tool and EXIF Tool GUI. Had them for years but saved them to a folder and just found them the other day. What a great tool, especially with the GUI. I can do the command line thing, but GUI's have made me lazy and unfamiliar with the command line.

And now I find out I don't have to save a copy of a photo as Jpeg, upload it, no, wait, forgot to resize it, it is too big, go back to Photoshop, resize, upload, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait some more then see the shutter count. Don't get me wrong, the web based tool that Adam has here is fantastic too. Used it dozens of times and have referred countless people to it.

But now that I know I can pop open EXIF Tool, and see it right there, I have a quicker, more convenient method.
02-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #13

Don't understand why more manufacturers don't just display the shutter count in a menu somewhere, like Fuji do. Saves a lot of hassle.
02-27-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I recently got off my butt and installed the EXIF Tool and EXIF Tool GUI. Had them for years but saved them to a folder and just found them the other day. What a great tool, especially with the GUI. I can do the command line thing, but GUI's have made me lazy and unfamiliar with the command line.

And now I find out I don't have to save a copy of a photo as Jpeg, upload it, no, wait, forgot to resize it, it is too big, go back to Photoshop, resize, upload, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait some more then see the shutter count. Don't get me wrong, the web based tool that Adam has here is fantastic too. Used it dozens of times and have referred countless people to it.

But now that I know I can pop open EXIF Tool, and see it right there, I have a quicker, more convenient method.
It is a wonderful tool. I also use it for AF micro adjustments as it shows the AF adjustment value in the EXIF. So I can take a series of shots at different AF values and then pick the one that is sharpest (zoom into 1:1 and lock zoom and position in irfanview the cycle through the shots - another nice app) through knowing what setting I had in the EXIF.
08-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
pxt

Few EXIF tools:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

Metadata references:
Exiv2 - Image metadata library and tools