Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Shutter Count
Posted By: kenhough, 01-04-2017, 04:27 AM

Shutter count can be found very easily via 'exiftool' which is available for Windows and for Linux. I have used only the Linux version, as follows:

The command 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef' will read a RAW/PEF file to present you with a very long list of stuff which should include a line headed "Shutter Count".

Instead of having to read through this list, use 'exiftool imgpxxxx.pef | grep "Shutter Count".

Easy!

New online tool: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Views: 2,110
01-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,618
Or more simpler, use this:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
01-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,525
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Agreed.
01-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,618
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Agreed.
....

01-04-2017, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,740
The OP is giving a Linux command-line solution for reading shuttercount from a RAW file. While any computer user (Win, Mac, Linux) can use the online shuttercount tool in a browser, it reads only jpegs.

Last edited by paulh; 01-04-2017 at 11:59 AM.
01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian
E-man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 405
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The OP is giving a Linux command-line solution for reading shuttercount from a RAW file. While any computer user (Win, Mac, Linux) can use the online shuttercount tool in a browser, it reads only jpegs.
It should also be noted that the shuttercount tool appears to be Pentax-centric. I can't speak for Canikon generated files since I don't have one of those cameras but just for fun, I tried it with a jpeg file shot with my Panasonic Lumix FZ50 and it didn't work.
01-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,599
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
It should also be noted that the shuttercount tool appears to be Pentax-centric.
It is, but I would think it could work for any format by changing the file extension in the command line.
01-05-2017, 02:04 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But this link requires that you upload an image

exiftool operates directly on an image.

01-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It is, but I would think it could work for any format by changing the file extension in the command line.
Yes, I've just confirmed that exiftool can also find shutter count from a jpg file.
01-06-2017, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by kenhough Quote
Yes, I've just confirmed that exiftool can also find shutter count from a jpg file.
For Win10 : You add Exif Tool Gui to EXIF Tool for a user friendly front end. Extract EXIF Tool, rename "exiftool(-K)" to exiftool and place in c:\Windows. Then just extact Exif Tool Gui, send a shortcut to desk top and voila. You won't need a codec for previews if you have CC or PS, it will handle that. Works best on a JPEG straight from camera though, so click and read the memory card directly.

Or you can just use the utility here. Found out I've put 23K on my K3II since spring and my current 2nd body, a K5IIs, is at 135K.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 01-06-2017 at 12:29 PM.
01-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
For Win10 : You add Exif Tool Gui to EXIF Tool for a user friendly front end. Extract EXIF Tool, rename "exiftool(-K)" to exiftool and place in c:\Windows. Then just extact Exif Tool Gui, send a shortcut to desk top and voila. You won't need a codec for previews if you have CC or PS, it will handle that. Works best on a JPEG straight from camera though, so click and read the memory card directly.

Or you can just use the utility here. Found out I've put 23K on my K3II since spring and my current 2nd body, a K5IIs, is at 135K.
GUIs available for exiftool under Linux, but command line operation is typically simpler and potentially more powerful than under Windows.
01-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by kenhough Quote
GUIs available for exiftool under Linux, but command line operation is typically simpler and potentially more powerful than under Windows.
40 years of I/T and once thought VI and EDLIN were user friendly. I'm old now and have changed my opinion!
02-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 220
Good tutorial. I find exiftool to be the simplest way to check the shutter count...especially when I don't have the internet, which is often! Plus all kinds of other cool data is in the exif.
02-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #14
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,625
I recently got off my butt and installed the EXIF Tool and EXIF Tool GUI. Had them for years but saved them to a folder and just found them the other day. What a great tool, especially with the GUI. I can do the command line thing, but GUI's have made me lazy and unfamiliar with the command line.

And now I find out I don't have to save a copy of a photo as Jpeg, upload it, no, wait, forgot to resize it, it is too big, go back to Photoshop, resize, upload, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait some more then see the shutter count. Don't get me wrong, the web based tool that Adam has here is fantastic too. Used it dozens of times and have referred countless people to it.

But now that I know I can pop open EXIF Tool, and see it right there, I have a quicker, more convenient method.
02-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 155
Don't understand why more manufacturers don't just display the shutter count in a menu somewhere, like Fuji do. Saves a lot of hassle.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
count, exiftool, linux, list, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survey with shutter count and aperture block or shutter failure. macman24054 Pentax K-30 & K-50 256 12-30-2016 11:47 PM
Shutter count issue focusian Pentax K-3 12 01-26-2016 03:23 PM
Shutter Count reset mars76 Pentax K-r 11 01-26-2015 06:19 PM
Shutter count set to zero after shutter unit replaced r4heim Pentax Medium Format 7 01-24-2014 07:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top