Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A camera grip issue with E Dials (all models) and the solution
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-05-2008, 05:17 AM

On another forum a few of us were discussing how the grip on any model can seem to conflict with the camera's E dial(s). I've had this happen quite a bit myself with both the *istD and K10D. I just sort of ignored it and turned the grip off when it happened.

Issue : Front E dial on the camera will not change any settings. Grip is turned on and is functioning normally. Second issue and often seperate from the first. Rear E dial on the camera will not change settings and the grip is functioning normally. In both cases the issue disappears when the grip is removed or turned off. The issue is intermittent and does not seem to have any consistent pattern.

Solution: The dials on the grip (and the body for that matter) have definite "click" stops between each aperture, shutter or other setting. If either dial on the grip is between clicks it will freeze the corresponding dial on the camera body. The dial must be left in the click detent position for the same camera dial to work. It's an electrical connection between the 2 components and you have basically interrupted the electrical signal.

The converse is also true. if you leave the E Dials on the camera between clicks then the grip won't operate normally. It is harder to accidentally do that on the camera as the dials have a different "feel" and seem to naturally stop on one of the detent spots. This issue happened with both my K10D and *istD so I'd assume it's true of all models with a grip attached.

Oh and I can't claim to have figured out the answer, just reporting the solution.
Views: 7,276
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the heads up Peter. I haven't used the grip I bought for the k10d but a couple times. But if I ever feel like using it again, I'll be forwarned.
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks a lot for this enlightening information.

Just last week while shooting some beach landscapes, I noticed that sometimes the rear e-dial on my BG2 grip (on my new K20D) did nothing. Sometimes it worked fine. I started thinking something was wrong with the grip, since its new, but couldn't manage to repeat the behavior.

Now that you point out exactly what is causing it, I can repeat the error.

Before this, I noticed some erratic behavior on my ist-D, and later discovered that the AF sensor selector dial was "in the middle of two settings", causing the camera to act funny. Once pinpointed, never happened again.

Thanks again

Robert B
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

hmm go figure

I thought I had failing dials on my body and was going to have to send it in. Without really coming to terms with it or diagnosing the problem, I still think my grip was off a couple times, but atleast next time it happens I'll pay closer attention to the grip to confirm.

It's not much different than a 3-way switch in a house (2 switches controlling a light), if one is set to that just right 1/2 way spot the other one won't turn the light on or off.

09-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've encountered this as well. Even a "vigorous" spinning of the wheel(s) doesn't help, but switching the grip Off then On seems to take care of it.

Also to note...sometimes with older auto lenses (especially PKA Adaptalls), the rear dial will stop working. Wiggle the lens to make better contact
09-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought my grip was going bad.
09-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Glad that helped.

09-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Peter.
I just experienced the same thing yesterday.
Didn't know what was going on when my front camera e-dial wouldn't change settings - gave me a fright, actually. Powering off and back on didn't fix it, until I thought of trying to adjust the front grip e-dial, which thankfully worked, and then returned function to the camera front e-dial.

And now I have a decent explanation for the phenomenon. Thanks Peter.
09-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Ash. The odd thing Is in the case of both cameras I never noticed this till around a year of ownership. So I wonder if the E-Dials on the grips are a little less robust and tend to get "looser" as use and time passes. I have a new K20 and grip on the way and will be interested to see if the new grip feels the same as the 2 year old one.

But knowing this now has save a huge amount of frustration while on a shoot.
09-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The e-dials certainly don't 'feel' looser, but perhaps as you postulate the contacts may be losing their position and getting 'stuck' in the middle.

In any case, I'll be observing this closely, as I use the front e-dial on almost every exposure.
09-28-2008, 04:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I experienced this for the first time today. My camera dials wouldn't change, so I tried the grip and it worked fine...tried the camera again and it worked. Now I know why. Thanks Peter
09-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the K20D too? How old's your cam, dazman?
09-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Only 4 mths young, Ash.
09-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I don't think it's a problem or a design issue. Like the light switch analogy (which is spot on) this is a normal electrical contact issue. It could be solved to a degree if the detents on the dials were more defined (and it was less possible for the dial to be left in the middle of 2 detents) but then over time the dials would probably wear down.

It's just something to be aware of and know what to do when you notice it. Nothing to worry about.
12-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This was one of the more enlightening threads I have read in a long time. Thanks Peter for the info..