Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
FREE TOOL - Calculate AF Fine Adjust for multiple body and lens combos!
Posted By: BigMackCam, 11-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Over the years, I've accumulated quite a number of Pentax (and Samsung-branded Pentax) bodies and lenses, and with every new body or lens I've added to my collection, I've needed to carry out AF fine adjustments to ensure accurate auto-focusing. Whilst doing so, I've learned some obvious similarities and differences in adjustment for various bodies...

With my K-5, K-3 and K-3II, the minimum AF fine adjustment step is +/-1. A +1 adjustment on these cameras brings the focus distance ever so slightly closer to the camera - hence, it's used to correct for back focusing - whilst a -1 adjustment pushes the focus distance slightly further away, correcting for front focusing. With my K10D, GX-10, *ist DL and GX-1L, the minimum adjustment is +/-10, and the direction of adjustment is reversed - so, a +10 adjustment pushes the focus distance further away, whilst a -10 adjustment brings it closer.

As I carried out adjustments for each of my body and lens combinations over time, I gradually noticed a pattern or "relationship" emerging in the settings...

For my K-3, my DFA100/2.8 lens required zero AF fine adjustment, whilst my GX-10 (well, one of them ) required +110. This was my "baseline" for both bodies. For my FA50/1.4 and DA35/2.4, the K-3 required adjustments of +2 and -3 respectively, whilst my GX-10 needed +90 and +140. So, relative to its baseline adjustment of zero for the DFA100, the K-3 required 2 x +1 steps to correct for the FA50/1.4 and 3 x -1 steps for the DA35/2.4... and, relative to its baseline +110 adjustment for the DFA100, the GX-10 required 2 x -10 steps to correct for the FA50/1.4 and 3 x +10 steps for the DA35/2.4. I'd found that each body required the same number of front or back-focus adjustment steps to correct for each lens, relative to the baseline settings.

I analysed all of my preferred AF fine adjustment settings for both the K-3 and GX-10, and found that in the majority of cases, I'd selected exactly the same number of steps from the baseline to correct each body / lens combo. In a couple of instances my settings were out by +/-1 for the K-3, or +/-10 for the GX-10, but the differences really were wholly insignificant. I then analysed my preferred AF fine adjustment settings for my K-5 and confirmed that the same number of steps were required, relative to a baseline with the DFA100.

At this point, I concluded that, given a baseline adjustment for each body with one reference lens, and the necessary adjustments for a reference body on all lenses, the adjustments for every other body and lens combination could be easily calculated.

I rigged up a rather ugly spreadsheet for this purpose and have been using it successfully for some time. Then, a few days ago, I decided to tidy it up and make it available for other PentaxForums members' benefit.

You can download a copy of this tool from my Google drive, HERE.

The tool was created in LibreOffice Calc, but saved in Microsoft's XLS format. It's a very simple spreadsheet, using basic formatting and cell calculations, and no macros. As a result, it should work in just about any spreadsheet programme capable of handling basic XLS files. The workbook contains two spreadsheets in different tabs. The first is unpopulated and ready for use. The second is an identical copy populated with some of my own example data (camera serial numbers changed) to demonstrate how it's used. Both tabs are protected (without any password) to prevent over-writing of calculated cells, but can be unprotected for further alterations and development as required.

I provide this tool free and without copyright. I offer no formal support, though I'd be happy to address any queries here in this thread or via PM. You're welcome to modify the tool, but if you do so, please consider offering your improvements to the PentaxForums community (via a separate thread)... and if you do, please consider crediting me for my part in its development (it's not essential, but would be greatly appreciated).

Instructions for use:

Hopefully, it's fairly self-explanatory.

The yellow cells are for user input. Everything else is fixed.

Let's say you own three bodies and five lenses.

Choose the most recent of your bodies (since it has the best AF system) and enter the model and serial number (or unique ID) in cells C4 and C5 respectively. In cell C6, enter the minimum step required to correct for back focus on this particular body (on a K-3, this would be +1... on a K10D, it would be -10... etc.). This is your "reference" body.

Choose a "reference" lens from your collection. I recommend a reasonably fast model that's able to produce quite shallow depth-of-field when photographing an AF test chart. Wider angle lenses tend not to be good choices here... I'd pick something like a 50mm f/1.4 or 100mm f/2.8, but whatever you have that gives shallow depth of field is fine (if you're choosing a zoom lens, set it to the longest focal length). Enter a description for the lens in cell B8.

Next, carry out your AF fine adjustment for this body and lens combination. When you're satisfied with the result, enter the resulting adjustment figure in cell C8.

Now, do the same for each additional lens, entering the relevant description and adjustment setting in columns B and C of subsequent rows.

At this point, you are ready to enter details of your additional bodies - camera, serial number and adjustment step - in rows 4,5 and 6 of columns D onwards.

Finally, carry out AF fine adjustment for your reference lens on each additional body and input the resulting figures in row 8. As you enter each one, the calculated adjustment figures for each lens will appear in the relevant camera's column.

Notes:
  • At the time of writing, I own a K-3II, K-3, K-5, K10D and no less than three Samsung GX-10s (K10D clones). I am confident that the approach and calculation method I've used works well for me on all of these bodies with each of my lenses. I've also done limited testing in the past with my GX-1L on a small subset of lenses and believe it works here too, but can't be certain (I now have my GX-1L set to an average baseline that works well enough with all lenses due to the limited resolution, and don't have a record of my previous settings).
  • I am certain that for all bodies from the K-5 through K-3II (and every body produced between these releases), AF fine adjustment is in increments of +/-1, positive to bring the focus distance closer, and negative to push it further away. I am similarly certain that for the K10D / GX-10 adjustment is in increments of +/-10, negative to bring focus closer and positive to push it back. I am fairly (though not 100%) confident that the K20D and earlier bodies all follow the same +/-10 convention as the K10D. For other bodies not specifically mentioned here, an element of investigation and/or experimentation will be necessary to determine the size of the adjustment step and the direction of adjustment.
  • There would seem to be differing opinions on whether the linear relationships I've described for AF fine adjustment work as described. I can only say they work for me across the bodies I own - well enough that I now depend on the calculated figures. However, if you try the tool and find it doesn't work for you, please disregard it - though do let me know, just in case I can help.
  • This isn't a tutorial on the process of AF fine adjustment, so please read up on that if you're not familiar with it. I will say that a suitable target, sensible target distance and good, natural lighting (not fluorescent) are key to obtaining good results. Furthermore, don't be surprised if, in real world shooting, AF accuracy is slightly "off" even after careful adjustment. Real subjects are typically more challenging for the camera than a flat AF chart, and lighting isn't usually so well-controlled. Auto-focus systems do a pretty good job in the right circumstances, but they're not miracle-workers - so don't expect perfect AF accuracy in every shot.
Finally, if you have any comments or notice any problems with the file, please let me know and I'll do my best to address them. I'll update this main post and the downloadable xls file accordingly.

Once again, the tool can be downloaded from my Google Drive here:
BigMackCam's Multi-Camera AF Fine Adjust Calculator

ENJOY!

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-11-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Views: 3,573
11-10-2019, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a really useful tool. Thank you for sharing! And doing all the research as well.
11-10-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good work, looks very useful. Hopefully, in a future body we’ll see this process automated by comparing sensor based focus with the bottom of the mirror chamber focus.
11-10-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cool research and guide.

11-10-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks very useful. Thank you for sharing.
11-10-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing!
11-10-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Thank you for sharing.

11-10-2019, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for putting this together and sharing.
11-10-2019, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow thats a good idea! Thanks for sharing!
11-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I am similarly certain that the K10D / GX-10 uses a +/-10 adjustment step, but signed in the opposite direction. I am fairly (though not 100%) confident that the K20D and all earlier bodies follow the same convention as the K10D.
Interesting and potential useful tool, though you lost me here. IIRC, AF fine tune on the K10D is a global setting (no per lens adjust) accessible through the debug menu only. The first Pentax dSLR with AF fine tune (global + per lens) through the custom setting menu was the K20D.

Seeing this post reminds me of some testing I did some time back in regarding to applying global settings over existing per lens adjustments. The results were anomalous and I need to revisit.

Steve
11-11-2019, 01:00 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting and potential useful tool, though you lost me here.
What I was trying to convey is that AF adjustments on the K10D are in +/10 increments, with negative increments bringing the focus closer and positive pushing it further back, which is the opposite way round to the K-3's +/-1 increments. I've updated the wording to make this a little clearer.

IIRC, AF fine tune on the K10D is a global setting (no per lens adjust) accessible through the debug menu only.
Yes, AF fine adjustment for the K10D / GX-10 is a global setting performed through DEBUG (same with the *ist DL and GX-1L that I own). I leave the debug file on the SD card of my main GX-10 so I can start DEBUG mode in the field, and carry a printout of the adjustments in my bag in case I should want to change lenses.

Seeing this post reminds me of some testing I did some time back in regarding to applying global settings over existing per lens adjustments. The results were anomalous and I need to revisit.
Are you referring to "Apply One" vs "Apply All", or have I misunderstood?
11-11-2019, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work Mike!
11-11-2019, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Must remeber to check this out at home later. AF adjustment is really something I need to pay more attention to!
11-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Must remeber to check this out at home later. AF adjustment is really something I need to pay more attention to!
It's worth doing, even on lower resolution bodies. I used my recently-acquired GX-1L for several weeks before noticing the photos weren't as sharp as I'd expected at faster apertures and/or closer range where depth of field was shallow. After testing, I found that it needed a +80 adjustment for lenses that require zero adjustment on my K-3. Since making that adjustment via debug mode, the little GX-1L is producing good, sharp images.

Folks who rely on slow, variable aperture kit lenses for general photography probably won't need or care about AF fine adjustment. But anyone using fast and / or long focal length lenses - especially at shorter ranges - really should take the time to adjust their cameras for each of those lenses. It can make a huge difference.
11-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah I think my Sigma 30 Art misses the mark quite frequntly