Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

How can I protect the back LCD?
Posted By: Ole, 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM

Post by 'Saltoricco'

You can use an LCD protection sticker for one of the many PDAs. I put clear packing tape on it. The bubbles have gone away after several days and now it is just as good as those more expensive protectors.
Views: 40,287
11-29-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I bought one screen protector from ebay for 9 dollar US

not bad at all

03-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I will be getting protection as i believe in safe photography.
03-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

sorry i ment this to go on the thread ,still gettin used to forum.oops
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I use the Delkin universal 2.5" stick on
Delkin USA :: Pop Up Shades :: Universal/Point and Shoot Shades :: Pop Up Shade-Universal Shade Black for 2.5" LCDs
I normaly have the "hood" removed, but the plastic stays to protect.

03-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #20

^^^^^^^^^^^
I just bought one of those to protect the screen on our Fuji F30. On that camera it was necessary since the screen is a soft LCD like those on laptops.

On my K10D I don't think I will get one. I have had numerous digital cameras over the past few years. And not one of them have I ever scratched or broke the screen. With the exception of the F30 above, all of them have had the hard plastic LCD's. I may get a stick on cover for one of those pda's, but that is unlikely.
03-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #21

The screen comes with a protective coating or cover. So your protective cover is protecting the protective cover beneath it. Kind of self-referential.
03-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
The screen comes with a protective coating or cover. So your protective cover is protecting the protective cover beneath it. Kind of self-referential.
The main difference is that if your own cover is scratched, you can change it yourself easily. Whereas if the built-in one is scratched.... you need to get it changed in a service center. And I would bet that the cost would be significantly more than the cost of your own cover.

04-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
The main difference is that if your own cover is scratched, you can change it yourself easily. Whereas if the built-in one is scratched.... you need to get it changed in a service center. And I would bet that the cost would be significantly more than the cost of your own cover.
Exactly the reason why I purchased one, last night. I don't use the hood, but the hard screen covering was worth every bit of that twenty dollars - to me.
04-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #24

I buy LCD protectors for all my digital cameras. The one brand I really like is Boxwave because of it's optical transparency, thickness and it doesn't leave a sticky residue when removed. They even make an anti-glare version as well.
04-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #25

For my K10D, I use a Giotto coated glass Pro Optical Screen Protector. It's a lot tougher than the plastic sheet protectors and passes over 98% of te photo through it.

It's as tough as the original screen, with the advantage of being easily and cheaply replaceable (less than $25 including shipping).

For my *istD, I slightly modified the Delkin shade for the *istDS. Works just fine.

Larry in Dallas
05-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have actualy broken one of the old Hoodman thich LCD protectors on my old *ist-D, and put a serious gauge in another. I wish the delkin one was thicker, but its still better than a thin peice of clear vinal like the Palm piolt protectors are.
05-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The screen on my K100D is all beaten to hell, but it's so brightly backlit it doesn't affect viewing at all. As long as the LCD itself is ok, what's the big deal?

Although yes, there is the "ounce of prevention" argument...
05-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There is a real inexpensive alternative to all this - Saran Wrap or Cling Wrap. After all, PDA stickers are virtually the same thing. Saran Cling Plus is my favorite, but Cling Wrap has a thicker version. You can usually find either at "your friendly neighborhood grocery store."

For proper sizing, I cut an index card to the exact size of the display and then use that as a template to trim the cling wrap. At that point, it is simply a matter of pressing out the air as it is applied. If applied with clean hands to a clean display, it will stay on for weeks.

By the way, cling wrap also works for PDA's.

stewart
05-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this site which may be of interest !

Pentax K10D Screen Protector Shield
05-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #30

Playboy model?

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
ISNIP!
My *istD is over two and a half years old and has been through several weddings, countless portraits, several artistic projects, a Playboy model, several family vacations, two trips to the ocean, one cruise on the ocean, a six week calendar shoot that included some light rock climbing and a couple excursions into the hands of my todler. It hasn't got a scratch on it.

I am not saying that we shouldn't protect the LCD screen, but I am saying that we don't need to.
Uh, Dave, "a Playboy model"?

Is that tough work?

Interesting that you slipped that one onto the list.

Scottax1