Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
How can I protect the back LCD?
Posted By: Ole, 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM

Post by 'Saltoricco'

You can use an LCD protection sticker for one of the many PDAs. I put clear packing tape on it. The bubbles have gone away after several days and now it is just as good as those more expensive protectors.
Views: 40,290
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too cut down a PDA protector plastic sticky on thingy. No, it was for a PSP. I've got a few bubbles but it's still pretty clear.
09-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You put clear packing tape on your LCD? Wont the adhesive leave a residue if you take it off? I use a non adhesive film over mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Post by 'Saltoricco'

You can use an LCD protection sticker for one of the many PDAs. I put clear packing tape on it. The bubbles have gone away after several days and now it is just as good as those more expensive protectors.
09-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tknterry Quote
You put clear packing tape on your LCD? Wont the adhesive leave a residue if you take it off? I use a non adhesive film over mine.
i think he means the clear material that protects some merchandise. it's basicly the same material as the PDAs. my canon ip6000d came covered in it. that's what i use.

09-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #5

Forgive me but I don't get the urge to protect a protector. I've had my *ist D 2.6 years and the plastic cover that is over the LCD has not one scratch in it. I don't put a protector on it.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I dont' beleave that you need to cover the plactic protector that is over the LCD on the back of the camera.

Les
09-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No no no. I bought some plastic sticky stuff that is designed to protect the screen of a PSP. I cut it down to size and stuck it on my LCD.

Les, you are right, for you, I don't think I'd be that fortunate! I just think that should I get a scratch (which would annoy the hell out of me, that's just how I am) the plastic stuff can be replaced way easier than the built-in plastic cover of the LCD screen.

The bubbles that are left on mine are clear of the actual display, so I'm okay, they are just around the black edge.
09-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No no no. I bought some plastic sticky stuff that is designed to protect the screen of a PSP. I cut it down to size and stuck it on my LCD.

Les, you are right, for you, I don't think I'd be that fortunate! I just think that should I get a scratch (which would annoy the hell out of me, that's just how I am) the plastic stuff can be replaced way easier than the built-in plastic cover of the LCD screen.

The bubbles that are left on mine are clear of the actual display, so I'm okay, they are just around the black edge.
I can understand that. I guess the point I wanted to make it that Pentax did a good job with the plastic they used on the LCD cover, it's quite tuff. the only issue I have it the oil from my cheek is always on it.

Les

09-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
the only issue I have it the oil from my cheek is always on it.
Join the club ;-)
09-20-2006, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Arpe - If you REALLY want heavy duty protection, get a Delkin Pop-Up Shade. About $20 and adds 2 layers of protection and makes it easier to see the review / menu screen outdoors. The hood is easily removeable if it's in your way, leaving the base with it's plastic window. I've been using one on a pocket P&S and it's great.
09-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Where do you get the packing tape?

I got a laptop display protector thinking I'd be able to cut a bunch from it, but it's not the static adhesive material. It works OK but is not as good as the flexible stuff I think the tape is made of.
10-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
Forgive me but I don't get the urge to protect a protector. I've had my *ist D 2.6 years and the plastic cover that is over the LCD has not one scratch in it. I don't put a protector on it.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I dont' beleave that you need to cover the plactic protector that is over the LCD on the back of the camera.

Les
You can't replace it. Thus, it needs protecting.
10-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #12

Unfortunately, I am left-eyed and use a vertical grip. I also have a large schnoz, so the screen is always getting smeared. It wipes clean with a lens tissue, but it'd be nice to have another way of protecting the LCD.
11-27-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I am all for protection, but for me that has to be a limit. Replacing the camera would be the most expensive at all so why not coat the whole thing in UV window tinting? Then none of the camera can get scratched.

I realize that this is absurd but my point is that Pentax has always made their cameras very tough. They are not new to this business. My *istD is over two and a half years old and has been through several weddings, countless portraits, several artistic projects, a Playboy model, several family vacations, two trips to the ocean, one cruise on the ocean, a six week calendar shoot that included some light rock climbing and a couple excursions into the hands of my todler. It hasn't got a scratch on it.

I am not saying that we shouldn't protect the LCD screen, but I am saying that we don't need to.
11-28-2006, 03:41 AM   #14

Just go for it and put a piece of clear plastic film (used for PDAs/phones/etc) on it, you'll be happy. no point saving that $2-4. you can change it yearly, monthly if you want to.
Dont 'wished that you've gotten it' when you finally get a scratch when wiping off lumps of oil on it...or somebody else's
ryan
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
Arpe - If you REALLY want heavy duty protection, get a Delkin Pop-Up Shade. About $20 and adds 2 layers of protection and makes it easier to see the review / menu screen outdoors. The hood is easily removeable if it's in your way, leaving the base with it's plastic window. I've been using one on a pocket P&S and it's great.
Hey Tom. Good to see you here. I spoke to the Delkin rep at the Photo Expo where I got the k10d and he said that in 30 to 60 days there will be a custom pop up shade to fit the k10d. I LOVE those shades and have them on every lcd I have except the fz30 (won't work there)