Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  
The Usage of Green Button
Posted By: vizjerei, 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM

The following are copy from several different user's post.
Hopefully this can help more newcomers (or not) to know more about the great Green Button.
Thanks to Peter Zack, RuiC, sezme.

In manual mode (A,FA, DA etc series lens) you can push the button and it sets the exposure for the program mode and the program line. Program line is the setting you have selected in the camera menus, like MTF (where the camera sets the lens at the best aperture for that lens, which is programmed into the lens by the manufacturer). Then you can fine tune the exposure to your liking from this setting. Very old school but an absolute requirement for a serious shooter in tough lighting and many other situations. (Peter Zack)

Step Down Metering
With an M or M42 lens, you can use the button to stop the lens down and take a meter reading. For those that own these lenses, it's an approximate reading and you have to understand (with practice) the way your particular lens will meter on the attached body. In most cases, these lenses meter well wide open but tend to over expose in middle apertures. So you use the green setting recommendations as a starting place to adjust to the correct exposure. (Peter Zack)

Return to HyperProgram(P) after changes
In HyperProgram (P) mode you can turn the front e-dial to adjust exposure time other than P suggests and it changes to Tv mode. If you turn the rear e-dial it becomes Av mode. Then press Green-button it returns to P mode again. (RuiC)
image from Digiichi - Next generation hyperprogram.

From Full Manual mode to P, Av or Tv
The green button in M mode get you to P, Av or Tv dependant on what mode is chosen in the green button menu set up. (excellent if you want to use it like an on-demand spot-meter)

The green button doesn't change from M (manual) mode to any other mode - it leaves you in M mode. It just momentarily gives you the effect of being in one of those other modes (which one depends on how you've set it up in your custom options) - setting the same aperture and/or shutter speed that you'd get it you were in one of those other modes, but then leaving that set. As opposed to constantly readjusting as the light changes.

(thanks lol101, Marc Sabatella, adwb)

Act as Reset button: Reset Exposure Compensation, Flash Compensation
If you have set exposure compensation, hold the exposure compensation button plus the green button will reset the meter to zero E.C.
* You can also reset the Flash Compensation with green button. (thanks rockmaster1964)

Fast access to set Auto ISO
if you press the ISO button (OK button on K10/20) plus the green button, it sets ISO to auto. A very useful button!
Also in Av/Tv if ISO is made accessible via one of the control dial, green button switches to auto-ISO. (thanks lol101)

Zoom in in Playback mode
In playback, after you zoom, Green button zooms IN and EV+- zooms OUT

Last edited by vizjerei; 02-20-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Views: 105,697
04-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always thought it was called stop-down metering.
Lars

09-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #92

thanks for this, really useful!
11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #93
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I keep coming back to this thread again and again and I am finally figuring this all out, at least in part.

I am using Sears k_mount lenses. I usually just set my aperture with the aperture ring, take a shot in manual mode, and look at it. I can immediately see that it was either under or overexposed. So then I compose the same shot, press the green button, then press the shutter button to take the second shot of the same subject. The green button has changed the shutter speed to approximate the aperture I selected on the ring at first. At least that is my understanding of what is going on.

But I noticed something: Looking at all my exif data, the sharpest shots were those that I simply shot in manual exposure mode with the button on the camera set to "manual" as well, choosing an aperture that lets in a decent amount of light at the time. The green button changes the shutter speed but sometimes not for the better.

For example, If the green button gives you more exposure time=slower shutter speed (more light), and if you have shaky hands, that longer exposure time renders a blurry picture. So more light on your subject for longer time is not necessarily a good in hand-held situations.

Just dumping. At least I am approaching a learning curve.

I still have a question: How does the Av and/or optical preview work in conjunction with/instead of the green button? I have a Kr.

Like I said at first, my sharpest shots have been those in which I have set my focal length (or sometimes did not), set the button on the camera to "manual", set the exposure dial to "manual", turned my aperture ring as intelligently as I could, and shot without using the green button.

My absolute best-ever shot done this way was with a Sears 50mm f1.7 portrait lens. This picture was taken hand-held, using the 2-second timer (so I guess I did not even have shake reduction on). ISO was 200. White balance was auto. Scene capture was standard. No focal length was registered; maybe I never did an input. I did use flash.

That day, I went around the house with that lens, setting the aperture conservatively and using flash. If the camera screen showed that the picture came out a bit dark, I simply opened up the aperture by a click and used flash again. No green button.
02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #94

Photos: Albums
Has anyone drawn pictures of this? box-and-tree-and-arrow "from here, your choices are ... and it shows what each choice does ... and can it be undone, or not ..."
pictures. siiimple pictures, for the textually challenged. I'll get it eventually, if I read it enough times and go through it on the camera. But -- in words -- it _can seem confusing.
Puzzling through with a newly acquired K200D, my old manual KX, and a handful of lenses.

I'll ask a result I've wondered about, and whether the green button can be helpful to make this work.

Just as a known object I've photographed since my first camera:
Capture the nearly-full-moon with each of my old lenses.

Started doing that last night, able to get our Moon's recognizable features clear enough so far.

(I know the Moon is a subject that's fullly illuminated in bright sunlight :-)

I only have pre-digital lenses: Pentax F-Zoom 1:3.5-1:4.5, 28-80 on now, set in AutoPict and missing the rangefinder split-image rather badly in the first few days.
So there's a way to zoom to check focus somehow that can be tied to the green button?

10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #95
Veteran Member

This green button thing both fixates and frightens me.
10-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankh Quote
Has anyone drawn pictures of this? box-and-tree-and-arrow "from here, your choices are ... and it shows what each choice does ... and can it be undone, or not ..."
pictures. siiimple pictures, for the textually challenged. I'll get it eventually, if I read it enough times and go through it on the camera. But -- in words -- it _can seem confusing.
Puzzling through with a newly acquired K200D, my old manual KX, and a handful of lenses.

I'll ask a result I've wondered about, and whether the green button can be helpful to make this work.

Just as a known object I've photographed since my first camera:
Capture the nearly-full-moon with each of my old lenses.

Started doing that last night, able to get our Moon's recognizable features clear enough so far.

(I know the Moon is a subject that's fullly illuminated in bright sunlight :-)

I only have pre-digital lenses: Pentax F-Zoom 1:3.5-1:4.5, 28-80 on now, set in AutoPict and missing the rangefinder split-image rather badly in the first few days.
So there's a way to zoom to check focus somehow that can be tied to the green button?
Nope sorry
10-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #97
Veteran Member

At its most basic all the green button does on any model of Pentax body is set the correct exposure in a given mode , Manual or program .

What it does in sv,av,or TV depends on what you have selected in the setting up dial menus,

This shutter speed and aperture and iso (if on auto ) selected are influenced by what you have selected in program mode.

So if you have in program mode gone for shutter speed priority the pressing the green button will set the correct exposure for the available light with a bias toward the fastest shutter speed possible. If you select aperture the the best aperture is selected.

On some models it could be assigned to other jobs mostly on the bridge camera versions ,

Hope that helps a bit.
11-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Hopefully this can help more newcomers (or not) to know more about the great Green Button.

In manual mode (A,FA, DA etc series lens) you can push the button and it sets the exposure for the program mode and the program line. Program line is the setting you have selected in the camera menus, like MTF (where the camera sets the lens at the best aperture for that lens, which is programmed into the lens by the manufacturer). Then you can fine tune the exposure to your liking from this setting. Very old school but an absolute requirement for a serious shooter in tough lighting and many other situations. (Peter Zack)

Step Down Metering
With an M or M42 lens, you can use the button to stop the lens down and take a meter reading. For those that own these lenses, it's an approximate reading and you have to understand (with practice) the way your particular lens will meter on the attached body. In most cases, these lenses meter well wide open but tend to over expose in middle apertures. So you use the green setting recommendations as a starting place to adjust to the correct exposure. (Peter Zack)

In HyperProgram (P) mode you can turn the front e-dial to adjust exposure time other than P suggests and it changes to Tv mode. If you turn the rear e-dial it becomes Av mode. Then press Green-button it returns to P mode again. (RuiC)

The green button in M mode get you to P, Av or Tv dependant on what mode is chosen in the green button menu set up. (excellent if you want to use it like an on-demand spot-meter)

The green button doesn't change from M (manual) mode to any other mode - it leaves you in M mode. It just momentarily gives you the effect of being in one of those other modes (which one depends on how you've set it up in your custom options) - setting the same aperture and/or shutter speed that you'd get it you were in one of those other modes, but then leaving that set. As opposed to constantly readjusting as the light changes.

If you have set exposure compensation, hold the exposure compensation button plus the green button will reset the meter to zero E.C.
* You can also reset the Flash Compensation with green button. (thanks rockmaster1964)

if you press the ISO button (OK button on K10/20) plus the green button, it sets ISO to auto. A very useful button!
Also in Av/Tv if ISO is made accessible via one of the control dial, green button switches to auto-ISO. (thanks lol101)

Zoom in in Playback mode
I use the green button to autofocus on the Kx - that way it just makes it a lot quicker to focus and move without worrying about a refocus somewhere else.

12-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #99

Love the Forum
01-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #100
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
But I noticed something: Looking at all my exif data, the sharpest shots were those that I simply shot in manual exposure mode with the button on the camera set to "manual" as well, choosing an aperture that lets in a decent amount of light at the time. The green button changes the shutter speed but sometimes not for the better.
This. Thank you. I was wondering why my pictures with GB look terrible most of time.
02-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #101

and where do we set the program on this green button... on a k5.
02-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colourful64 Quote
and where do we set the program on this green button... on a k5.
Rfm
03-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote

Step Down Metering

Zoom in in Playback mode
Hi Peter, are there any videos on this Usage of Green Button would be really useful
Tom G