Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

285HV compatibility for the K10D
Posted By: jeff1101, 04-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sorry for the newb question...

Went to a store to purchase a Vivitar 285HV for my k10D. Store clerk said that the 285HV only works for Canon cameras and not the K10D.

Is that True or not?
Views: 19,504
08-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My only wish in life right now, is to finally and definately know the MAX which the iSTD will take. This debate has been going on for ever. I've visited sites by RiceHigh and Botzilla but nothing definate when it comes to the iSTD.

I've tested my Vivitar 283 Korea Model and it racks between 8.11 and 8.15 at FULL battery power.

Don't tell me the only safe way is to buy a new flash unit - tell me FOR SURE whether I can use the current unit and then I can make up my own mind.

Is there anything in the manual or a Pentax site that will tell me for sure.

Thanks
jc

Finally got thru to Pentax at 1.800.877.0155 and spoke to Derek. He says "As long as it doesn't exceed 25V..." I should be OK.

What do you think? I'm still hesitant.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 08-13-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Update
08-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #17

I think this is about the third time I've heard "don't exceed 25volts." So I'm sure you'll be fine, mate.
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Wein peanut with the Vivitar 283 - I'm thinking of getting one. I mean, if you place the flash on a tripod, do you attach the peanut to a dangling cable? Doesn't make sence since the peanut connection doesn't seem to be the same as the 283.

Am I crazy!

Thanks

Last edited by JCSullivan; 08-15-2007 at 09:08 AM.
08-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
JC,

I tried the WEIN and they didnt work for me, so now I have pocket wizards.......they work like a champ....every time.

08-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jv6856 Quote
i've heard many stories about people using vivi285 (not the HV ones) on-camera and it wound up frying the camera.

this is a little off topic, but for the k10d, if i'm using slaves and 2 off camera flashes, can i still only shoot at 1/180?
Not sure exactly what you mean there.

If you're asking can you shoot at a faster shutter speed because of having plenty of light, the answer is no, I believe. The limiting factor in how fast a shutter speed one can use is the amount of time the shutter curtains fully clear the film/sensor. If you set higher than the rated synchronized speed, part of the shutter will be obscuring part of the film/sensor during the flash and you'll end up with a section of the photo underexposed or black.
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This whole flash thing is giving me a headache.
I'm gonna try to summarize what I think I know to date.
Even if I wanted to spend the big bucks on the 540, I've read about far to many problems with it, from it sticking to the camera to underexposure, to ...................
Maybe the Sigma but you lose HSS, which I think I would like to have. Also it seems like you have to worry if it has the new chip etc etc.
The Metz but I can't find one for Pentax, yet....and it's really expensive, too.
The Vivitar 285HV which I'm sure I could live with. Affordable and I don't mind shooting in manual BUT I'm gonna want to use it off camera. Of course the K10 doesn't have a PC sync socket so now I'm faced with some sort of wireless, i think. Those pocket wizards aren't cheap. Or spending more for the hot shoe adapter thingys (one for the camera, one for the flash) and a cord than I will for the flash! And I haven't even got some sort of bracket yet. All I want to do is take a picture of a frigging bug with my Vivitar 105!
Sorry but it irks me when I have to spend $15000 to move the flash 10" to the left and 4" up.
08-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Possible headache remedy

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I feel your pain.

I've been researching this a lot lately, myself. Please bear in mind that there is little practical experience to back this up, so what I say may be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

The Strobist SN1 Kit from MPEX has everything you need -- maybe more, depending on what you already have at hand -- to use an off-camera flash in manual mode. USD 240, including the 285HV. The household-to-hotshoe adapter makes sync cord extensions dirt cheap and avoids the issue of Vivitar's proprietary sync jack. If you're only interested in doing macro work, this seems the best route.

The Cactus V2s (not the V2) can be had for a hair under USD 40, including shipping, from Gadget Infinity's eBay store. The V2s supposedly solves the reliability problems the earlier (V2) model had with the 285HV.

The Elinchrom Skyport radio trigger is available from MPEX. The Microsync radio trigger is in stock at B&H. Both get good reviews, at about half the cost of the Pocket Wizards. They'll need an adapter to work with the 285HV, or you can easily and cheaply replace the Vivitar's weird sync jack with a 3.5mm female mono jack.

For my part, I have the AF-540FGZ. I've had it less than a week but, so far, I've no complaints with P-TTL performance. I use Peter Gregg's A Better Bounce Card whenever I can. I used a Metz 36C-2 for a while and found that I got good results but lost a lot of shots while fiddling with settings. I'm planning to branch into off-camera light, using either the AF540 in manual mode and optical sync (Strobist SP2 kit, USD 105) or the SN1 kit with the Vivitar. Right now, I'm leaning toward the first option as the least expensive way to get my feet wet. Come to think of it, though, you don't really want your feet wet when working around high voltage, do you? Oh, well...

Regards,
Daryl

08-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the links Daryl, checking them out...........
08-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #24
Inactive Account

You're welcome.

FYI I just ordered the Strobist SP2 kit and a Bogen Superclamp (with stud) from MPEX. I figure I'll work with the Pentax wireless system and a single light until I can do nearly anything with them, then branch out into multiple lights and radio triggers.

I'm not abandoning on-camera flash and P-TTL, since a lot of my camera time is spent chasing 4-year old twin daughters.

Regards,
Daryl
08-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I would highly recommend one go one of two routes; neither is cheap, but both are 100% reliable (and not as much $ as two PWs):

#1 - Use a dedicated Pentax off-camera cord with two hot shoes. You can buy the shoes and the cord from Pentax or from 3rd party brands. (I believe Paramount makes a dedicated cord.) I would stick with Pentax, but it's not my money of course ...

This is going to seem like overkill for non-dedicated flashes, but one day you WILL come around and pick up a Pentax flash. I bought the dedicated cord many years ago, even before I had a dedicated flash, and man, do I not regret that decision today!

#2 - There is a new radio trigger alternative on the market that appears to be better quality than the typical eBay triggers, but less expensive than either Elinchrome or PocketWizard. They are made in Korea by SM Developments, and are called the FlashWaves. I am testing them right now, but I am impressed so far.

Right out of the box, they have a hot shoe on the receiver so you don't need any accessory cords. The receiver also has a metal (metal - hooray!) tripod socket on the bottom, and the receiver is half the size of PWs. Also, with the included cords, you can fire studio strobes PLUS you can remotely trigger your Pentax DSLRs. The transmitter is about the size of the eBay triggers but they seem much higher quality.

To test them, I synced my Pentax 360 flash to 1/180 second, and it even kept up with the 3fps continuous shooting of my K10D until I got bored after 200 continuous frames. The range is far longer than the typical eBay triggers (but nowhere near the advertised 1600 feet of the PocketWizards, of course.)

Yes, I would love the PocketWizards, and it is not like I can't afford them. It is more like if I buy a radio trigger for 1/3 the price of PWs AND its 100% reliable for my needs, then I have a bunch of leftover money I can spend ... for example ... on a 50-135mm f2.8 DA* lens. (Yeah, I know. I am a moron. I think DSLRs are the crack cocaine of the camera business!)

Plus, as I have said in these forums before, if my camera goes down, the shoot is over. That's why I carry three bodies with me. If the radio trigger goes down, I go back to pc sync cords. (Or, go back to my not-too-bad-for-reliability cheapo eBay trigger!)
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I have a strobist kit and didn't know it. I have been using 2 285HV's with umbrellas for a few years for portraits and weddings. I have a Wein peanut slave on one and a Vivitar slave on the other, fire them with an on-camera flash. Works pretty good for a lighting system on a budget.
12-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mruss Quote
I have a strobist kit and didn't know it. I have been using 2 285HV's with umbrellas for a few years for portraits and weddings. I have a Wein peanut slave on one and a Vivitar slave on the other, fire them with an on-camera flash. Works pretty good for a lighting system on a budget.
i use the vivitar 285 hv on board and it works flawlessly. i used it with a stofen
12-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I bought a used D1 and the 285HV in 2001, and used it indoors for horse show photos. Worked fine in M mode.

I did however email Vivitar, last week, with the S/N as a just in case, but as the case with Sigma, (Gentec) have yet to hear back.

Dave
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Off camera flash on the cheap

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I'm gonna try to summarize what I think I know to date.
Even if I wanted to spend the big bucks on the 540, I've read about far to many problems with it, from it sticking to the camera to underexposure, to ...................
Maybe the Sigma but you lose HSS, which I think I would like to have. Also it seems like you have to worry if it has the new chip etc etc.
The Metz but I can't find one for Pentax, yet....and it's really expensive, too.
The Vivitar 285HV which I'm sure I could live with. Affordable and I don't mind shooting in manual BUT I'm gonna want to use it off camera. Of course the K10 doesn't have a PC sync socket so now I'm faced with some sort of wireless, i think. Those pocket wizards aren't cheap. Or spending more for the hot shoe adapter thingys (one for the camera, one for the flash) and a cord than I will for the flash! And I haven't even got some sort of bracket yet. All I want to do is take a picture of a frigging bug with my Vivitar 105!
Sorry but it irks me when I have to spend $15000 to move the flash 10" to the left and 4" up.
Just pick up a Promaster cord ($50ish)and ANY cheap bracket...Then add flash of choice...
Pentax's own 5p cords are not overly expensive (a tad hard to find though) but increase w/ all the little "parts" needed as you seem to know..
Promaster
GOLDCREST SHOE MOUNT FLASH CAMERA BRACKET FIT VIVITAR, - (eBay item 320136625178 end time Jan-06-08 13:55:27 PST)
Promaster Flash Extension Cord Off-Camera TTL Pentax - (eBay item 260193281866 end time Jan-11-08 09:34:58 PST)
Off-Camera Flash Setups
If you have a photo store w/ used stuff the brackets probably can be had for a song,,,,,,,
Vivitar Flash Bracket f773f - (eBay item 120197759021 end time Jan-11-08 20:49:32 PST)
BOTTOM line $100 plus flash of your choice (p-TTL to full manual). May not get the full 10" to the left though...

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-18-2007 at 12:32 PM.
12-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you guys for all your help.
Jeff, I had no idea about that Promaster cord, thank you for that link. I just ordered the cord and a Vivitar 285HV and a Stofen Omnibounce thingy. I'm still checking out brackets. I'm going to look around locally first.
Again thanks for all the help and links, you guys are the best!!