Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wireless Flash: K200D and AF360FGZ
Posted By: turner890, 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Can I wirelessly trigger my AF-360FGZ flash from my K200d without using my on-camera Flash?
Views: 8,890
10-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes and no

You can't trigger it without your built-in flash, unless you buy a specific wireless trigger.
10-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ludenticus Quote
You can't trigger it without your built-in flash, unless you buy a specific wireless trigger.
And how would that work ?? No flash, and no wire = NO trigger ! Surely !!
11-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
dwj

Turner,

Yes, you can choose to not use the on-camera flash during exposures using the wireless af-360.

The on-camera flash still fires to set the external flash's exposure, but it does not contribute to the light falling on the CCD during an exposure. The automatic sequence is: on-camera flash to set the af-360, pause, af-360 flash for exposure.

I think you can use the af-360 by itself with limitations, but I'll have to review the manuals.

You can also use both the on-camera flash and the external flash in wireless mode at the same time.

This is the coolest thing I've seen, no wires so you can position the external flash anywhere.

DWJ

11-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The on-camera flash must be used.
It acts as either the master (where it does contribute to the exposure as well as trigger the external flash wirelessly) or the controller (where it triggers the flash but does not contribute to the exposure).

The only other ways you can wirelessly fire the flash unit away from the camera is to buy radio triggers, which have a larger range than the optical trigger of Pentax's wireless setup.
12-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

"...no wires so you can position the external flash anywhere." Not quite that simple.

...anywhere that it's sensor can "see" the on-camera flash trigger, you mean.

And therein lies the rub.

I find it severely limits my flexibility in using the built-in wireless system. Sometimes I'm doing a macro shot of a little flower on the ground. The main flash just has to be behind me and the camera, or at least off to the side - in any case, the sensor on the main flash just cannot "see" the signal from the on-camera flash because that flash is firing straight into the ground.

When the situation is right, the P-TTL wireless system works very well. But I find that 95% of the time, to avoid frustration and limitations, I switch everything to manual, pop my flash(es) on stands with PocketWizards, and put my lights where I want them. Works for me.