Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Tilt and shift lens tutorial
Posted By: Big Dave, 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Hello,
I have recently become interested in controlling perspective on my DSLR as I would with a view camera. I found this very good tutorial on both tilt and shift. It has visual aids, calulators and examples. I hope you find it as useful as I did.

Dave

Using Tilt-Shift Lenses to Control Depth of Field

Using Tilt-Shift Lenses to Control Perspective
Views: 37,051
05-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #31
Not Registered

Yenemy, to see the rear part of the Pentax shift lens take a look at this link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/28667-pentax-s...-focusing.html. It might give you an idea about how can you do it. I think that the Takumar 35 f3.5 has a rear element that it might work but I am not sure about that.

08-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
In the really old days, you could always tilt base board under the enlarger in the darkroom to correct verticals. I'm lucky enough to own a Pentax 28mm f3.5 Shift lens and have done so for many years and it's still favourite lens for me.

But remember, that now many corrections can now be carried out in software such as CS3 using the transform tool and the like. I'm sure it's available in all the other brands of software too.

Just be careful not to overdo it, a slight lean looks more natural than perfect parallels.
08-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

You can do everything a shift lens does in software, but you still need the actual tilt lens for its effects.
09-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #34

I read though this quickly and I don't think anybody has mentioned this...

k mount tilt & shift lens

09-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sabatocd Quote
I read though this quickly and I don't think anybody has mentioned this...

k mount tilt & shift lens
The problem is that this is an 80 mm lens, which definitely limits its usefulness on APS-C. What we really need is a 16mm tilt and shift lens to allow us to get that "1 inch from the lens to infinity in focus" field of flower shots.
09-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also have this one from Zenit : MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens...
09-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The problem is that this is an 80 mm lens, which definitely limits its usefulness on APS-C.
Hartblei Super-Rotator 80/2.8 T&S, example shots :
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - 12 Bilder - aufgenommen mit meinem neuen Spielzeug...
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - (Anti-)Vaseline (nur für Langweiler ;) )

09-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #38
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
You can do everything a shift lens does in software
I was under the impression that there was an optical difference, in terms of perspective projection, between a straight-on image which has been stretched, and an image taken through shifted optics. As in, the viewpoint is changed slightly.
09-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You can also have this one from Zenit : MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens...
I bought one of these (labeled Photex) just before summer. You can see some of my images at Tilt & Shift Image Gallery . I was a bit unlucky with my lens though as the mount got lose from the lens. I had to disassemble it to reach the screws.
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by KungKrille Quote
I bought one of these (labeled Photex) just before summer. You can see some of my images at Tilt & Shift Image Gallery . I was a bit unlucky with my lens though as the mount got lose from the lens. I had to disassemble it to reach the screws.
Great pictures KungKrille. I really like the one with the focus in the middle of the lane with rows of trees on the sides.

I think a wide T-S lens would be ideal, but after trying the Hartblei 65mm super-rotator I have to say it's fun nonetheless. Just need to find the right scene for the different perspective. Some of my recent shots is shown here.

So far I've been toying with the "miniature effect", have to spend some time to understand how to properly align the DoF as it is intended. The tutorial links will be helpful. Thanks.
10-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #41
Forum Member

Oh, you have some nice images too I really like the palm tree. I wanted a Hartblei as well but couldn´t afford one. The design of the Photex lens isn´t suitable for cameras with built-in flash like k10d as you can´t rotate the lens freely. It´s impossible to tilt upwards and rotate when you take photos in landscape format.

I wish I could try more miniatures but I have hard to find places where I can get high enough like bridges and towers.
03-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Handhold

Perhaps it works with a Panasonic G1 or Samsung NX and using DA12-24, DA12 or Sigma 10-20. But Sigma 12-24 for 24X36 can be more useful with black plastic or rubber between lens and body.
Of course handhold lens can be tricky.
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #43

CS3 action

i have a tilt shift action that works really well i can email to you...and you can always use tiltshiftmaker.com to get it started then tweak further in CS.
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I just got the MIT 45mm Pentacon 6 lens along with the Ukranian tilt adapter, and I do think it will be fun. Not as wide as I would like, and the thing is a TANK, so big and heavy, but an interesting effect.
12-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #45

In answer to your old thread, Pentax 67/67II cameras accept a 75mm f/4.5 shift lens (no tilts). It's a pretty good lens
in my opinion. At one web site, comparing Pentax lenses with each other, this one gets a "B+". That means Pentax owners
like it a lot. When you consider the advantages of 6x7cm format, this lens blows away the whole crop of 35mm lenses,
including my Canon 24mm TS/E. The sharp rendering of subjects without distortion is a bonus with lenses that are designed to
solve perspective problems. This lens performs very well at all apertures and I can live with the modest falloff of illumination when
the lens is shifted. With this lens, you must meter first, lock in your exposure manually, and then shift the lens. The whole image circle projects a sharp image and because it's a moderate wide angle wide angle distortion is not apparent. This is equal to about 38mm in
35mm format.