Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Tilt and shift lens tutorial
Posted By: Big Dave, 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Hello,
I have recently become interested in controlling perspective on my DSLR as I would with a view camera. I found this very good tutorial on both tilt and shift. It has visual aids, calulators and examples. I hope you find it as useful as I did.

Dave

Using Tilt-Shift Lenses to Control Depth of Field

Using Tilt-Shift Lenses to Control Perspective
Views: 37,028
05-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The June issue of Outdoor Photographer also has a good article on the basics of shooting with tilt-shift lenses: Shoot Like Ansel Adams | Outdoorphotographer.com. Anyone know of any TS/PC-type lenses in K-mount?
05-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tilt/shift in PK mount

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
The June issue of Outdoor Photographer also has a good article on the basics of shooting with tilt-shift lenses: Shoot Like Ansel Adams | Outdoorphotographer.com. Anyone know of any TS/PC-type lenses in K-mount?

I bought the Hartblei 35mm t/s lens from an eekbay seller. It was priced reasonably and turned out to be a great lens - built like a tank, good I/Q. Learning to use it effectively is a whole nother matter. I read the tutorials refered to by the previous poster, and they were so helpful I printed them off as a handy reference. YMMV
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I saw a Pentax Tilt Shift lens for sale on Fred Miranda a while ago. So I'm guessing Pentax has made one at one point, but I don't remember the focal length or anything else about it.

05-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you intend this:
K 28/3.5 Shift

But a new DA15 or 20mm/4 with both tilt and shift should be nice...
05-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
MrA

I aspire to owning one of these, one day, so have a small amount of research on them:

Schneider Optics also make the PC SUPER-ANGULON 28mm f2.8 in a Pentax K mount - but that's a shift lens not a tilt-and-shift. And costs $2264.

Arax of the Ukraine also make a number of shift and tilt-shift lenses in K mount (35mm f2.8 for $685, 80mm f2.8 for $459). They're somewhat less expensive than the aforementioned Hartblei range (with reason).

More interestingly, perhaps, arax make an adaptor for using medium format Pentacon Six lenses on a K mount body, in both a tilt and a shift version ($85 and $129 respectively). Pentacon Six lenses go down to 30mm (fisheye).

I've been toying with getting an Arsat 30mm f3.5 and the tilt adaptor - but should really wait until I can afford the 'real thing' - either the Arax 35mm or the Hartblei 35mm. The Hartblei is better, since it offers tilt and shift on independent axes - the only TS lens to do so I think.

QuoteQuote:
But a new DA15 or 20mm/4 with both tilt and shift should be nice...
I won't hold my breath for one of those being released by Canon or Nikon, let alone Pentax...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think you intend this:
K 28/3.5 Shift
I've also heard mention of Pentax having once made a 35mm shift lens, but have no hard evidence. Could be confusion with the f3.5 I guess.

Last edited by MrA; 05-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.
05-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the leads, guys. I'll start doing a little research and see if I can find out more about these!

For other Forum members who might be interested, here's a link to the Hartblei page; Arsats are on the same website: HARTBLEI 35mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI

Last edited by christinelandon; 05-19-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added link
05-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Dave

Just don't forget to remember that due to the unavoidable focal length crop factor (x 1.5) involved when attaching a conventional perspective-correction or shift-lens to a DSLR equipped with an APS-C sensor (such as the one inside the Pentax K10/20D/100DS), a normal 28mm lens regrettably converts into 42mm (28 x 1.5) and a 35mm lens becomes 52.5mm (35 x 1.5)
(in relative 35mm film terms). This pretty-much defeats the original purpose of perspective correction lenses when photographing tall buildings etc, especially when used in conjunction with an APS-C DSLR. Unfortunately the least expensive digital equivalent to the above-mentioned scenario involves shelling out for a full-frame DSLR body (No focal length crop factor to worry about !!) such as a C***n 5D fitted with one of their 24mm TSE lenses. However, you'll need pretty deep pockets (approx £2,500.00 or $5,000.00 !) if you intend following this route ! Even then, it's not all plain sailing, because you may encounter noticeable misaligned colour-shift in the resulting digital images taken with the aforementioned combination at the extremes of the lens's shift mechanism. This anomaly is primarily due to the different manner in which light strikes a 'flat' film emulsion than it does when it arrives indirectly at the light-wells on the underside of the surface of a CCD sensor, but that's another 'can-of-worms' entirely !
Alternatively, if you can leave sufficient space around the object you are photographing when using a normal APS-C wide-angle lens, you will discover that optical distortion such as 'converging verticals' can easily be corrected using inexpensive digital editing software like PSPro or Photoshop Elements 6. Hope this info helps somewhat.....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-20-2008 at 12:05 PM.
05-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Shift 28mm f/3.5

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
I've also heard mention of Pentax having once made a 35mm shift lens, but have no hard evidence. Could be confusion with the f3.5 I guess.
I used to own one. They DO exist.
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

that makes my brain hurt.
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Not Registered

I actually own one (28 shift) and although I sort of agree with Confused, I must say that the 42mm shift (in cropped sensors) is quite useful for product photography. Particularly if you want to avoid direct reflections without too much fuzz of changing lights.... It is an expensive luxury though.
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Inactive Account

They do exist!

Yes the shift lens from Pentax does exist. I found three of them for sale on E-Bay the other day when I was researching them.
Pentax SMC-K 28mm f3.5 Shift Lens. They ran from $565 to $889. I just don't have the money since I just bought the K 20D. I need more customers!
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by High Roads Photo Quote
Yes the shift lens from Pentax does exist. I found three of them for sale on E-Bay the other day when I was researching them.
Pentax SMC-K 28mm f3.5 Shift Lens. They ran from $565 to $889. I just don't have the money since I just bought the K 20D. I need more customers!
Considering they were nearly $1,600 new, those prices aren't all that bad!
05-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved the thread into the KB.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I bought the Arax adapter wonder how difficult it would be to convert MF lens mount to Pentax 6X7? May not be correct distance from sensor.
thanks
barondla
Enter the POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.