Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hanimex M42 180 tele 3.5
Posted By: DBGrip, 12-26-2014, 11:31 AM

I have this old Hanimex, and it's become one of my favorite lenses over the years. I stepped away from photography for a while, I've recently started re-exploring some of my old lenses, and discovered a little fungus starting to grow on this lens.

I'm having trouble finding out more about this lens on the interwebs, Serial number is h52040. I've found out many companies manufactured for Hanimex, as was wondering how to find out more about this lens, specifically how to take it apart ant clean this inner element.

Thanks for any help
Views: 1,408
12-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it's Tokyo Koki (Tokina). Being as a it's a preset, it should be reltively strightforward to disassemble. Which element is the fungus on? Id it in front of or behind the aperture blades?

QuoteOriginally posted by DBGrip Quote
I have this old Hanimex, and it's become one of my favorite lenses over the years. I stepped away from photography for a while, I've recently started re-exploring some of my old lenses, and discovered a little fungus starting to grow on this lens.

I'm having trouble finding out more about this lens on the interwebs, Serial number is h52040. I've found out many companies manufactured for Hanimex, as was wondering how to find out more about this lens, specifically how to take it apart ant clean this inner element.

Thanks for any help
01-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Sorry it took a while to reply been out of town... This would be my first time taking apart a lens, and have read some of it on here. Do you know of a good place to start looking for a specific walkthrough for this lens or something similar?
01-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a lens as obscure as this one, there's probably no detailed walk-through available, but it shouldn't be super difficult to figure out. The tools that you are likely to need to disassemble it are:

1. Rubber tool - this is used to rotate out the front name ring. A Size 9 rubber stopper (available at homebrew stores) is what I usually use, but in a pinch, you can wrap a rubber kitchen glove wrapped around an appropriately sized lens cap.
2. Lens spanner - this is used to remove retaining rings with slots or spanner holes in them. There are models with interchangeable tips that can be used on both types of rings. Micro-Tools is a good place to find these.
3. Small (micro) screwdrivers - in a lens this age, you are likely to encounter only slotted screws, but later ones tend to use JIS screws, which look like Philips cross-type but have a different pitch to the tip, which will lead to stripping if you use the wrong types. I prefer Moody Pollicis drivers, which are a good balance between quality and price. If it's the front element only, screwdrivers may not be needed, since you may only be turning rings to get it out, but Tokina has been known to use outer set screws to hold retaining rings tight, so be aware.
4. Microfiber cloth - use a new dry microfiber cloth to wipe the lens element after you have cleaned it to avoid streaking. Fungus cleaning can be done with your fingers using dish soap and warm water, followed by a rinse in distilled water. Don't touch the lens with bare fingers at any point after the cleaning, or you will leave prints.
5. Scotch Tape, - If you are neurotic about dust, plain cellophane tape can be used to pick up particles from the glass surfaces prior to re-installation.
6. Rocket Blower (optional) - I always make it a point to blow dust out of the interior of a lens when I have it disassembled. If levels are low and you don't mind them, a blowout isn't necessary.

Expect to pay about $50 for the basic tools, which is probably close to what you'd pay to have a repair person clean a front element. However, this can be seen as an investment, since they can be used on any lens you need to disassemble in the future.

There is a Pentax lens disassembly database thread here on PF, and it's probably worth looking through some disassemblies of other models to get an idea of how parts go together. Most of the Japanese-made lenses are constructed quite logically, and the principles transfer from lens to lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by DBGrip Quote
Thanks for the info. Sorry it took a while to reply been out of town... This would be my first time taking apart a lens, and have read some of it on here. Do you know of a good place to start looking for a specific walkthrough for this lens or something similar?