Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 325,269
02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On a cheap one maybe! There certainly remains some work to be done with respect to software-correctability, and unfortunately I don't have access to the negatives at the moment. In any case, it has been my experience that even moderate vignetting from consumer lenses can't be compensated for fully in many circumstances, so the 60-250mm isn't a lens that I'd stick on my future Pentax FF.
If the sensor is 24MP+ and has the cropped sensor function like the Nikon's... why not?

02-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
If the sensor is 24MP+ and has the cropped sensor function like the Nikon's... why not?
It does not vignette visibly at 60mm, and at the other end you may want to crop anyway, so it's certainly a useful lens on FF, giving you FF 60mm in one end and the equivalent of 375mm on the other end. But not exactly what you would buy for a full frame body...
02-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On a cheap one maybe!
so the 60-250mm isn't a lens that I'd stick on my future Pentax FF.
I'd beg to differ.

One of my new favorites (the 24-70 from Nikon) vignettes 1.55 EV and it is a non issue for me. Film with its gradation often exaggerates the effect.

Moreover, the nice thing is that the DA* 60-250/4 doesn't vignette on FF at the wide angle and is tack-sharp in the center at the long end. Typically, using a zoom at its long end means you will crop the final image a bit anyway.

So, on a 5Ám pitch FF Pentax FF, the lens can be used as a 60/4-400/5.6 (in 35mm equivalent terms) with no much compromise. I know of no other lens which can do this.
02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #229
Pentaxian

This has been a thread with continuing relevance, now that many of us await a hopefully....soon to be introduced Pentax Full Frame.

I have the 40 Ltd., 70 Ltd., 10-17 Fisheye, 12-24mm and according to the thread it seems most of these will work well....if one keeps the lens set about F 5.6 +. I usually use F 8...so I'm assuming for the most part I should be in reasonable shape. I know my 12-24....may be better at 20-24 on a full frame....but then...20 to 24mm translates to....a wider angle of full frame....does it not ?

Have I got it more or less right ?

02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
This has been a thread with continuing relevance, now that many of us await a hopefully....soon to be introduced Pentax Full Frame.

I have the 40 Ltd., 70 Ltd., 10-17 Fisheye, 12-24mm and according to the thread it seems most of these will work well....if one keeps the lens set about F 5.6 +. I usually use F 8...so I'm assuming for the most part I should be in reasonable shape. I know my 12-24....may be better at 20-24 on a full frame....but then...20 to 24mm translates to....a wider angle of full frame....does it not ?

Have I got it more or less right ?
I don't know if you got it right, but the whole point of going FF seems to be missing. Why not continue with aps-c and have the best result?
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I don't know if you got it right, but the whole point of going FF seems to be missing. Why not continue with aps-c and have the best result?
Well to be honest....what I'm hoping for is that Pentax runs two parallel top of the line cameras....one an ASP-C, the other a Full frame. I have a K10D, K-m and a K-5 and the photographs these produce ...are excellent and I'm a guy who used to do medium format film.

My concern is....that Pentax will bring out a full frame DSLR...then relegate any new models in the ASP-C format to entry level only. I like the features on a top of the line camera body and that is why...if Pentax does relegate ASP-C to strictly entry level bodies....I might have to go full frame and I don't look forward to buying new glass because of this.

If I can use my DA glass on a FF Pentax....than that's ok.
02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #232
Ole
Administrator

I agree with lessmore49. I'd hope to continue to use APS-C for long focal length lenses to keep weight, bulk and cost down, and use the new FF camera(s) for mid-range like 28mm - 105mm (where I shoot the most). For short range I'm perfectly content with my K-5 IIs + DA 12-24mm, but of course FF could offer a wider field of view given the right lenses - would be tempting for landscape.
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #233

-2.05 EV and it is FF
Sigma AF 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Nikon FX) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

02-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Well to be honest....what I'm hoping for is that Pentax runs two parallel top of the line cameras....one an ASP-C, the other a Full frame. I have a K10D, K-m and a K-5 and the photographs these produce ...are excellent and I'm a guy who used to do medium format film.

My concern is....that Pentax will bring out a full frame DSLR...then relegate any new models in the ASP-C format to entry level only. I like the features on a top of the line camera body and that is why...if Pentax does relegate ASP-C to strictly entry level bodies....I might have to go full frame and I don't look forward to buying new glass because of this.

I understand your concern. It is my concern,too. I want to continue with aps-c and have no plan of exchanging a lot of lenses to something bigger, but not necessarily better.
02-20-2013, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #235
Veteran Member

Beholder3@dslr-forum: Pentax-Objektive an KB digital

Canon 5D III +

DA 35 ltd
DA 40
DA* 55
DA 70
DA* 300

DA* 60-250

FA 28
FA 31
FA 77

FA 24-90

DSLR-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Pentax-Objektive an KB digital

Canon 5D III +

DA 15
DA 21

DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 18-135
DA 18-250
DA* 50-135

A 28/2
FA 35

02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the possibility of buying some used FA glass. I was looking at my lens collection after the FF news broke and I realize I'm set. FA 20 mm F/2.8; Zenitar 16mm Fisheye F/2.8; FA 20-35mm F/4.0; the 3 FA ltd's etc.
You might want to search to see if you can find some of the FA (or even A/M/K if you don't mind manual focus) glass now, while it's (relatively) cheap. I'm sure prices will go up after the FF is released.

NaCl(very happy I won't have to buy new lenses for FF)H2O
02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Beholder3@dslr-forum: Pentax-Objektive an KB digital

Canon 5D III +

DA 35 ltd
DA 40
DA* 55
DA 70
DA* 300

DA* 60-250

FA 28
FA 31
FA 77

FA 24-90

Canon 5D III +

DA 15
DA 21

DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 18-135
DA 18-250
DA* 50-135

A 28/2
FA 35

Thanks for the links, froeschle! I'm surprised how good the DA35 Ltd is on FF - only needs a very modest cropping at infinity. Great, now I know that I can still use my favorite lens on FF
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Thanks for the links, froeschle! I'm surprised how good the DA35 Ltd is on FF - only needs a very modest cropping at infinity. Great, now I know that I can still use my favorite lens on FF
this need a heavier crop when macro focusing
02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
this need a heavier crop when macro focusing
The german guy says the exact opposite (no vignette in macro range).
02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
There is also the possibility of buying some used FA glass. I was looking at my lens collection after the FF news broke and I realize I'm set. FA 20 mm F/2.8; Zenitar 16mm Fisheye F/2.8; FA 20-35mm F/4.0; the 3 FA ltd's etc.
You might want to search to see if you can find some of the FA (or even A/M/K if you don't mind manual focus) glass now, while it's (relatively) cheap. I'm sure prices will go up after the FF is released.

NaCl(very happy I won't have to buy new lenses for FF)H2O

I've got lot's of glass...Takumar 50 F 1.8, 55 F2, 135 F 3.5.....KA...35-105 Zoom Macro, Takumar K mount 28 F2.8, 50 Macro F.4....but I like the automatic focus....particularly as I'm older now and my eye's aren't as good as they once were.