Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 324,863
10-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #301
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another confirmation that DA* 55mm 1.4 SDM is suitable for Full Frame

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/274667-test...ml#post2962419

or

vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA* 55mm 1.4 SDM WR vs FULL FRAME

11-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

now... if there's one day a FF and I mount the 1.4 teleconverter on it, how will it affect the DA lenses / FF camera compatibility?
(another question is of course if the teleconverter will be usable with FF camera...)
11-13-2014, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #303

I put DA17-70 / 4 AL with Pentax cmsF x1,7AF the Ricoh KR-10 Super and DA lens has no vignetting - without smcFx1,7AF has a lot of vignetting at the wide end, as I did with DA55-300 / 3.5-5 , 8 ED and also just nowhere vignetting
11-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #304
Pentaxian

Original Poster
DA lens on Full Frame: Test Shots thread

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
now... if there's one day a FF and I mount the 1.4 teleconverter on it, how will it affect the DA lenses / FF camera compatibility?
AFAIK, the 1.4x TCs are all FF, the new Pentax one included.Maybe, somebody can confirm?

DA lens + 1.4xTC on FF almost performs the same as DA alone on APSC. There are no concerns wether the DA lens is incompatible.

The only concerns are if the TC is optically good enough (like with Nikon's new TC-14Eiii which works with almost no optical degradation); And if the AF would still function properly with one stop slower fstop. (Some FF cameras can AF at F/8. But from experience I'd say it is a degraded experience if light starts to fade. Therefore, DA lenses F5.6 or slower would probably focus better with an APSC body.)

BTW, if you ever add a 1.4x TC to a FF camera in order to continue using your DA lenses, please don't forget to double ISO for comparable results.

11-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #305
Pentaxian

DA14 on MZ-5N (just for giggles)

11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #306
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote

A picture is worth a thousand words, so they say ... thanks for showing it on film.
11-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #307

Hello everyone,

I see that the Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4 gets a "+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners" rating. What does it really mean?

Say that next year Pentax launches a FF camera. Does the above mean that I will be able to use the DA* 55mm on that FF camera without any limitation whatsoever (identically to the actual FF labeled lens) or it just means the lens will be usable but there will be some drawbacks...?

Thanks.
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #308
Site Supporter

I suspect you'd need a different hood.

11-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #309
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I suspect you'd need a different hood.
Agreed. Highly probable.
11-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #310
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, the DA*55 work flawlessly on FF. The hood induce a bit of vignetting.
But to be honest, i never use it, the coating of the lens do an outstanding job.
11-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #311
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Yes, the DA*55 work flawlessly on FF. The hood induce a bit of vignetting.
But to be honest, i never use it, the coating of the lens do an outstanding job.
What kind of hood did you use? The bayonet hood on my D FA 50mm f/2.8 is long and deep, like a children's cup.
11-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
What kind of hood did you use? The bayonet hood on my D FA 50mm f/2.8 is long and deep, like a children's cup.
the standard one of the DA*55. it's the PH-RBH 58mm.
11-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote

It's the ciiiiircle of liiiiife!
11-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #314
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
"+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners" rating. What does it really mean?
It is meant to mean this:

The FF corners on an FF body, and APSC corners on an APSC body, when both are expressed in lp/PH resolution, are similiar enough.

It does not necessarily mean that on an FF body, the image isn't sharper at the APSC image circle than the FF image circle. But as FF images aren't enlarged as much, this would be ok.

Actually with an +++ rating, the DA* 55/1.4 at F2 on FF may well outperform an equivalent APSC 37mm/1.4 in their respective corners. But there is no test validating this and no comparable lens either.
11-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #315
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
AFAIK, the 1.4x TCs are all FF, the new Pentax one included.Maybe, somebody can confirm?

DA lens + 1.4xTC on FF almost performs the same as DA alone on APSC. There are no concerns wether the DA lens is incompatible.
I think I can confirm this.

We already did a quick test with DA 18-135 WR, HD DA 1.4x TC & MZ-S body and saw no dark circle at all focal length when looking through the OVF. The pictures should be usable although there is still somewhat vignetting. If the TC was 1.5x or 1.7x, the corner would be even better I guess.