Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 445,778
01-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samyang 10mm 2.8 on an old MX

APS-C crop of the above image

Same scene with the Fish-eye Takumar 18mm f4

01-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #317
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Samyang seems to vignette just a wee bit.
01-28-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The Samyang seems to vignette just a wee bit.
Yeah. THey did a great job of making the hood block out everything that's not APS-C. I suspect with the hood removed that the image circle could cover closer to FF, but everything beyond the APS-C circle would be basically unusable.
02-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #319

A bump for a great reference and in celebration of the dream coming true

02-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the FF body should be "Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function".

But if I look through the viewfinder, what will I see? Full frame field of view, right? So will there be an extra frame inside the viewfinder to show me my cropped area? Otherwise I can't imagine how to compose and frame.
02-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
But if I look through the viewfinder, what will I see?
It's early to make predictions about how the FF body will function, so I'm not going to hypothosize on whether or not it will automatically crop. I can speak to what you will see in the viewfinder. The viewfinder will work, it's safe to assume, like an old film camera's viewfinder. The old film cameras had a viewfinder which worked with an FF-size image. Crop-sensor lenses on old film cameras show vignetting in the viewfinder that translates into the vignetting seen on the images. So if you want to see what your crop-sensor lenses will look like in an FF body's viewfinder, use a film body as an indicator.
02-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the Ricoh press release on the FF to come -
"Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function"

02-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Yeah. THey did a great job of making the hood block out everything that's not APS-C. I suspect with the hood removed that the image circle could cover closer to FF, but everything beyond the APS-C circle would be basically unusable.
I've seen modified Samyang 14mm lenses on the internet that people have removed the hood to use in their Canikon FF bodies.
02-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I've seen modified Samyang 14mm lenses on the internet that people have removed the hood to use in their Canikon FF bodies.
Do those lenses require a hood for the lens cap to attach? Without this hood, there's no lens cap option any more.
02-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #325
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Do those lenses require a hood for the lens cap to attach? Without this hood, there's no lens cap option any more.
The Samyang 14mm had no filter threads and the hood is not detachable. Samyang learned from that lens (and the 8mm, which was more critical) and the later Samyang lenses (as far as I know) have detachable hoods and regular filter threads. The hood of the Samyang 14mm does indeed fit onto the lens cap. If you cut off the hood, you cannot use that cap anymore. Also, you have to be careful not to damage the protruding front element, while hacking away at the plastic! But isn't the 14mm an FF design anyway? I thought only 8mm, 10mm, and 16mm are APSC
02-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The Samyang 14mm had no filter threads and the hood is not detachable
The 10mm is the same. It also has a protruding element.
02-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The Samyang 14mm had no filter threads and the hood is not detachable. Samyang learned from that lens (and the 8mm, which was more critical) and the later Samyang lenses (as far as I know) have detachable hoods and regular filter threads. The hood of the Samyang 14mm does indeed fit onto the lens cap. If you cut off the hood, you cannot use that cap anymore. Also, you have to be careful not to damage the protruding front element, while hacking away at the plastic! But isn't the 14mm an FF design anyway? I thought only 8mm, 10mm, and 16mm are APSC

On second thought, maybe the hacked lens I saw was an 8mm
It was before the 16 or the 10mm came out.
Either way, whomever hacked it sawed off the built in hood to make it FF.
02-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #328
Forum Member

Samyang 14/2.8 is a FF lens
02-07-2015, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MZ-7 and DA 40mm XS

02-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #330

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So the FF body should be "Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function".

But if I look through the viewfinder, what will I see? Full frame field of view, right? So will there be an extra frame inside the viewfinder to show me my cropped area? Otherwise I can't imagine how to compose and frame.
If they follow the lead of some others, the ff area will be a shaded but transparent. Very helpful in predicting when that bif will enter the frame!