Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
  • ...
Tamron K mount Di-II...
  • ...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable


Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 324,984
04-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,522
QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
IMO .. these are not acceptable as FF lenses. The vignetting is just too visible and if you are going to crop, then why bother FF!
Because the cropping won't be 50 percent to be usable, hence less than in APS-C mode.



04-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,750
QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
IMO .. these are not acceptable as FF lenses. The vignetting is just too visible and if you are going to crop, then why bother FF!
Sorry but this is very confusing - which are not?
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #408
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,667
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Because the cropping won't be 50 percent to be usable, hence less than in APS-C mode.
The fact that you have to crop to pull out the hard vignetting is telling me they aren't fully FF compatible; If you're paying for a FF sensor, you generally want to use all of it... yes? At least, and only speaking for myself, I see it that way..
04-18-2016, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #409
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,522
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The fact that you have to crop to pull out the hard vignetting is telling me they aren't fully FF compatible; If you're paying for a FF sensor, you generally want to use all of it... yes? At least, and only speaking for myself, I see it that way..

Well, I and others see it another way, Mee.


You can put a DA21 on a K-1 into the camera's crop mode, but you could also put a DA70 on and do better with a manual crop so that you get most of both lens and sensor, for instance.


Here, I shot the worst possible example - an ultrawide APS-C lens, the Sony 10-18mm f4 - on FF and got this pic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge with a little cropping. I won't buy a dedicated UWA zoom for my A7, this is fine for me, it has always had superb contrast and flare resistance:




04-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #410
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,667
But you're missing some of the reach.. if I was getting an Ultrawide, I'd use it mostly for landscape/scenery and indoors shooting.. places where I'd want minimal vignetting and (preferably) the whole frame.

Why not maximize the potential with a lens designed for the sensor type?
04-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,522
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But you're missing some of the reach.. if I was getting an Ultrawide, I'd use it mostly for landscape/scenery and indoors shooting.. places where I'd want minimal vignetting and (preferably) the whole frame.

Why not maximize the potential with a lens designed for the sensor type?
It works on FF just fine between 12mm and 17mm. And that's what you'll discover with various DA lenses - the lengths and apertures where you can do better than simply use crop mode and throw away more than half your pixels.

But the big point is, surely, you don't *have* to use them. :-D

I have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for when I don't need autofocus.



04-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #412
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Original Poster
Reminder

Please keep this thread to facts, i.e., posting test shots and their numerical evaluation. Discussion (like past 24h) has to go elsewhere.

Thanks everybody for their understanding.
04-19-2016, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #413
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Reminder

Please keep this thread to facts, i.e., posting test shots and their numerical evaluation. Discussion (like past 24h) has to go elsewhere.

Thanks everybody for their understanding.
Thank you for reminding me, I didn't notice I was in the wrong thread.
I've deleted my post now.

And to make this post more on-topic, I just discovered that the DA55-300 is more useful than I thought on FF, there are now test shots on the K-1 lab site:
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

04-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #414
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,667
Why do you want to bar discussion of DA lenses on Full frame in a thread about DA lenses on full frame?
04-19-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #415
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,927
QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
IMO .. these are not acceptable as FF lenses. The vignetting is just too visible and if you are going to crop, then why bother FF!
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The fact that you have to crop to pull out the hard vignetting is telling me they aren't fully FF compatible; If you're paying for a FF sensor, you generally want to use all of it... yes? At least, and only speaking for myself, I see it that way..


in that case, just buy DFA /FA lenses and not DA. Period.
04-19-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why do you want to bar discussion of DA lenses on Full frame in a thread about DA lenses on full frame?
I created this thread 8 years ago to provide a concise resource to look up facts about how lenses perform on full frame. The thread title says "Test Shots thread" for a reason. Discussion is unsolicited in this thread.

Please be so kind and do not ruin what proved to become a viable resource for many of us.

Thanks again for your understanding.
04-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #417
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,667
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I created this thread 8 years ago to provide a concise resource to look up facts about how lenses perform on full frame. The thread title says "Test Shots thread" for a reason. Discussion is unsolicited in this thread.

Please be so kind and do not ruin what proved to become a viable resource for many of us.

Thanks again for your understanding.
I understand and this has been a valuable thread for many years. But we are discussing amounts of crop and how much still constitutes a functional lens on FF.. that directly correlates to the accuracy of your data. If there is some discrepancy over this (and there is) then one persons +++ lens is another persons + lens.
04-19-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #418
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
we are discussing amounts of crop and how much still constitutes a functional lens on FF
Not in this thread, please. Thanks again.
(+++ etc. are defined in the opening post -- feel free to create another thread to introduce other criteria)
@mee: please do not post a reply.

Last edited by falconeye; 04-19-2016 at 11:16 AM.
04-19-2016, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #419
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,522
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not in this thread, please. Thanks again.
(+++ etc. are defined in the opening post -- feel free to create another thread to introduce other criteria)
@mee: please do not post a reply.
Hey, Falconeye ... remember all you are is the Original Poster.

That does not make you either this thread's moderator or controller.

You have made a request, that may or may not fit in with what people feel is valuable to this important topic. If Mee or anyone else wants to say something, they should just go ahead as far as I'm concerned.

This website is a discussion forum, including for people like me who actually pay to keep it going, not some private gallery.

Last edited by clackers; 04-19-2016 at 04:46 PM.
04-19-2016, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #420
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,750
I actually agree with the OP. Take it to a new thread and link back if you want.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
60-250mm, aperture, bodies, body, camera, corner, da, da*, da* 60-250mm, f2.8, f4, ff, film, flickr, focus, frame, k-mount, lens, lenses, op, pentax, pentax lens, pm, post, sdm, sensor, shots, slr lens, tests, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA Lenses on Full Frame (DA 35 ltd) Painter Pentax Full Frame 18 05-29-2016 04:42 PM
DA lenses on Full Frame hjoseph7 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-03-2014 01:14 PM
TEST: smc PENTAX DA 35mm 2.8 Macro Limited on Full Frame vjacesslav Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 03-17-2012 06:41 AM
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots falconeye Pentax Lens Articles 0 07-07-2008 02:50 PM
DA lenses on full frame sensor ZigDaPig Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 01-05-2008 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top