Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 322,281
05-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #451
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Here is DA 21ltd on K-1 at f3.2; the first picture is with the original lens hood, and the second's with the metal hood for SuperTak 35mm.

Both pictures were taken with the same settings, from exact same spot, and focusing at the same point.
Did you do any without a hood?

05-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #452
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you do any without a hood?
Nope. I can if you'd like to check.
Here. Looks pretty much the same as with Takumar hood
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 05-12-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: uploaded picture
05-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #453
Loyal Site Supporter

Mostly just curious, but please.
05-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #454
Site Supporter

Done, see above

05-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #455
Loyal Site Supporter

Here. Looks pretty much the same as with Takumar hood
Thank you. I see slight improvements over the Takumar one - but it's hard to see them side by side. It is subtle at best. Thanks again.
05-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #456
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thank you. I see slight improvements over the Takumar one - but it's hard to see them side by side. It is subtle at best. Thanks again.
Not much, plus with that subtle difference hood still may help at day light. I guess.
06-13-2016, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #457

Da 35 2.8 al

Hi everyone,
I am a long time Pentax user, and a great fan (and long time lurker) of this forum... This is my first post, so apologies if I am not following site posting etiquette:

I have recently acquired my Pentax K1 and I have been trying out my various DA lenses.

Tonight I tested my DA 35mm f2.4 AL, and I am certainly finding some vignetting between 2.4 and 4.5. Vignette at 2.8 is very pronounced, and quickly recedes after 4.5.

After 4.5, the vignetting was more or less automatically dealt with by Lightroom lens profile correction.

Attached (I hope) are 4 photos I took tonight. RAW from camera and spit out via lightroom.

F2.8, F4.5, F9, F11 respectively.

Cheers
Attached Images

06-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #458
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by coastjunkie Quote
Hi everyone,
I am a long time Pentax user, and a great fan (and long time lurker) of this forum... This is my first post, so apologies if I am not following site posting etiquette:

I have recently acquired my Pentax K1 and I have been trying out my various DA lenses.

Tonight I tested my DA 35mm f2.4 AL, and I am certainly finding some vignetting between 2.4 and 4.5. Vignette at 2.8 is very pronounced, and quickly recedes after 4.5.

After 4.5, the vignetting was more or less automatically dealt with by Lightroom lens profile correction.

Attached (I hope) are 4 photos I took tonight. RAW from camera and spit out via lightroom.

Cheers
What would be interesting is to pit this result against an FA 35 f/2 to see if there is a significant improvement in vignetting.

06-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #459
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
according to photozone, the FA show 0.7 EV of vignetting at f2 and 0.3 EV at f2.8, so it's close overall

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/123-pentax-smc-fa-35mm-f2-al-photozone-review...report?start=1
06-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #460
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the test. How about corner sharpness?

I find it interesting that LR applies their profiles despite the fact that the image circle is different. Obviously, Adobe does not keep track of image circles in the profile and the body.

Which is kind of sad as it renders DA profiles useless on full frame bodies and makes full frame profiles for DA lenses impossible. However, hand-made profiles and their manual selection could help here.
06-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #461
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I find it interesting that LR applies their profiles despite the fact that the image circle is different. Obviously, Adobe does not keep track of image circles in the profile and the body.

Which is kind of sad as it renders DA profiles useless on full frame bodies and makes full frame profiles for DA lenses impossible. However, hand-made profiles and their manual selection could help here.
Adobe programs should pick up and use the SensorFormatFactor parameter. This is 1.5 in their stock profile for that lens. Adobe profiles of Pentax FF 'approved' lenses, such as the DFA 100mm macro, now have SensorFormatFactor value of 1 and presumably polynomial correction coefficients needed for FF coverage.
06-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #462

has anyone tried the sigma 30mm f/1.4 art yet? I've read some reviews that it vignettes only slightly on canon FF.
06-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #463
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
has anyone tried the sigma 30mm f/1.4 art yet? I've read some reviews that it vignettes only slightly on canon FF.
I'm interested too

06-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #464
mee
Site Supporter

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Thank you for taking the time to test this DA. I'm curious about the performance though -- is it quick to focus on the K-1? Is it loud?
06-20-2016, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #465

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thank you for taking the time to test this DA. I'm curious about the performance though -- is it quick to focus on the K-1? Is it loud?
I found the performance of the lens (focus, noise, sharpness) to be reasonable, particularly given the price point, which was just under $200 CDN new.

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the test. How about corner sharpness?

I actually returned the lens, so I had to look through the test shots I took to discern corner sharpness. Based on the shots I have on file, I don't see much in discernible sharpness loss on the corners in FF, particularly at the lower apertures.