Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 312,979
08-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Rob, when you tried the 50-135 was there a smaller aperture where it became usable ? I'm thinking f5.6 or f8 and above, perhaps ...What were the corners & edges like ? Mushy ? I'm vaguely thinking that I might be able to pair the 50-135 with the d-fa 24-70 on a k-1 as a temporary measure while I decide if I should upgrade. Thanks.
Those test shots were all at f6.3, and the vignetting only gets worse the more you stop down. With minimal cropping it's just about ok at 135, but it vignettes badly the wider you go. Corners were a bit ropey, edges were just about passable at 135, but terrible at wider angles. I'd probably recommend selling it, and picking up a DFA100 WR to be honest. That lens is simply magical on the k-1 (better than the FA 135 f2.8), and is usually one that appears in Black Friday type discounts.

10-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #482

If anyone has the K1 in Belgium, near Charleroi, we can test with the DA 18-135mm WR. Contact me
10-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vankasteelj Quote
we can test with the DA 18-135mm WR
Will only work in crop mode, in FF the black circle is along the complete focal length.
3 Hours Ago   #484
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA10-17mm on K1

Just as a confirmation, is it true that the DA 10-17mm at 10mm will work on a K1 with no vignetting only if the hood is shaved off...? Couldn't find a clear answer on that one. I do 360 full spherical panoramas and will maybe get a K1 soon. The alternative of course is getting a 17mm Tak or K mount...
Thanks

1 Hour Ago   #485
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Just as a confirmation, is it true that the DA 10-17mm at 10mm will work on a K1 with no vignetting only if the hood is shaved off...? Couldn't find a clear answer on that one. I do 360 full spherical panoramas and will maybe get a K1 soon. The alternative of course is getting a 17mm Tak or K mount...
Thanks
at 10mm it vignette a lot even without hood. I already tried on film