Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 445,596
12-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Got the DA 17-70 today, and mounted it on my Chinon CE-4, which showed very heavy vignetting at all focal lengths.
Thank You very much for the report. Just to make sure ... You DID remove the sun shade, did you?

12-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #77
Veteran Member

*If* Pentax were to make a FF camera, don't you think they'd use some optical or digital trickery to make the DA lenses viable on the body?
12-27-2008, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
*If* Pentax were to make a FF camera, don't you think they'd use some optical or digital trickery to make the DA lenses viable on the body?
They would probably do what Nikon does and crop the inner 50% of the pixels.

But if you buy a full-frame camera, you won't buy the DA 17-70mm, you'd buy a 28-105mm lens, which is the FoV the 17-70mm is trying to reproduce on APS-C sensors.
12-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thank You very much for the report. Just to make sure ... You DID remove the sun shade, did you?
Yup.

I can take a picture of the vignetting with my Ixus, but don't think it is necessary. Terrible vignetting, even with 92% viewfinder coverage.

12-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Yup.
Thanks. I updated the summary table correspondingly.
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
froeschle, as You are from Germany too: I will gladly accept a Canon 5DmkII with adapther and run some tests.
Perhaps "stormy_weather" can help: DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Pentax FA 1,8/31 an Canon 5D II
01-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Perhaps "stormy_weather" can help
I replied in the German forum. If there is anything useful evolving, I will inform everybody in this thread as well.

For the time being, I think that this possibility is a theoretical one only -- because a DA lens would have to be damaged to become mountable on a Canon FF body.

01-29-2009, 04:38 PM - 5 Likes   #83

Hello,
It's my first post here .

I had opportunity to take some test pictures on film body with interesting DA Lenses few months ago.

DA 14/2.8 ED [IF] @ 2.8 with hood

DA* 16-50/2.8 AL ED [IF] SDM @ 16mm 2.8

DA* 16-50/2.8 AL ED [IF] SDM @ 50mm 2.8

DA* 200/2.8 ED [IF] SDM @ 2.8

DA* 300/4 ED [IF] SDM @ 4
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piotrecius Quote
Hello,
It's my first post here .
Thanks for the contribution.

homeopathy? That's total bunk.
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some Chinese full frame samples

As our friend whatever7 has pointed out, there are a number of shots with DA lenses on film present in the following thread on xitek.com:

Pentax½ºÆ¬»úÉí+DA¾µÍ·¾ãÀÖ²¿ - ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳

I haven't seen much information we haven't covered yet. But then, I don't speak Chinese
The first post quotes some focal lengths for some zooms where the black circles disappear.
Like: 18-55 bad <23mm.

It says DA* 16-50 full black circle, 12-24mm bad <16mm, and 18-250 full black circle.
I updated my OP accordingly.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-07-2009 at 04:49 PM.
02-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I just started a similar thread at DPreview. but its a pile of steaming dog poop compared to your findings. Thank you for the hard work.
Just to add to your work. here is a link to the DA* 55 on FF MZ-S on a Chinese site.
post 179 DA¡ï55F1.4£¬VÊӽ翪ÂôÁË£¡ - ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I just started a similar thread at DPreview [...] here is a link to the DA* 55 on FF MZ-S on a Chinese site.
Thanks for the link. From inspecting the photo, only the obvious information is available: no vignetting at f/8. Resolution and performance at f/1.4 remain unknowns. This is vital information for such a lens, so I leave the overall "missing" rating for it.

If you started a similiar thread at dpr (why? ), please consider linking back here (I know, you'll be banned for it, but so what )
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

bless you guys for this thread

for the guy above me that got upset... I DO NOT need FF camera. but I do want to build my pentax lens collection so in five years when the k20D will be old and I would like to get a new body I will not have to buy new lenses/ toss my current ones in the trash.

that's all... this is a very expensive hobby that we all having and I'm trying to plan for a long term investments.

and right now it looks that if we like it or not asp-c sensors becoming irrelevant... if you want a small camera you have the macro 4/3 and if you don't mind the size FF sensors are getting cheaper buy the day
02-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the link. From inspecting the photo, only the obvious information is available: no vignetting at f/8. Resolution and performance at f/1.4 remain unknowns. This is vital information for such a lens, so I leave the overall "missing" rating for it.

If you started a similiar thread at dpr (why? ), please consider linking back here (I know, you'll be banned for it, but so what )
Where did you get the F8 information, the post below (post 177 says something about F8, but I dont think that refers to the photo as its posted after that comment) and it certainly looks wider than F8.

I started a similar thread because I did not know it excisted. and there is a link to this thread. People there are saying that the huge lens hood would cause vignette at FF, but I doubt it as the angle of view is only 36.2 horizontally. whats your take on it.

Anyway, thanks again.
02-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Where did you get the F8 information, the post below (post 177 says something about F8, but I dont think that refers to the photo as its posted after that comment) and it certainly looks wider than F8.

I started a similar thread because I did not know it excisted. and there is a link to this thread. People there are saying that the huge lens hood would cause vignette at FF, but I doubt it as the angle of view is only 36.2 horizontally. whats your take on it.
Steelski, I do not want to discuss another forum too much. So, let me make the following, short comments:

- You're right, post #177 said f/1.4. I don't remember why I thought it is f/8. But too tiny to evaluate resolution anyway.

- There is a new post #234 - #237 with a resolution test at f/1.4. Unfortunately, those guys don't realize that the ISO 12233 test chart is limited to 2000 LW/PH and even show crops of the chart where it is limited to 1000 LW/PH! So, all we learn is that 1000 LW/PH are resolved. Why I produced my own version of the ISO 12233 test chart to measure up to 3000 LW/PH (limited by my scanner & printer, not the chart). Note that 3000 LW/PH is the K20D sensor's resolution.

- Vignetting from the hood is normally pretty obvious. And not visible from the f/1.4 shots. So, those shots either are w/o hood or the hood doesn't cause vignetting. The angle of the 55mm is almost 43° in the corners. If the hood isn't vignetting then this would mean that it was designed to work on FF too. But we still lack resolution figures. Untill we can give it a +++ rating we don't really know.