Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 445,776
12-17-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks beholder3, that's exactly the kind of content I was hoping for. Great and thank you very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That generally is true, but on the long end it has shaded corners: 250mm:
The corner shading is vignetting as the loss of light isn't 100%. I've seen some of it too but not as strong. And vignetting was kind of normal for a FF zoom if remember the old days correctly

In order to judge the vignetting you showcase, I'd like to know what image area you scanned (some film cameras expose more than 24x36mm), at which aperture and focal distance you shot (shorter distances could be worse) and what gradation your film emulsion was (some hard gradation films can make a little vignetting look like shading).

12-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #167
Pentaxian

I understand what you are asking but I just posted results of a totally non-scientific cheap approach...

I used the cheapest color negative film 200 ISO (dm, Paradies) and let it develop (Rossmann) the cheapest way including a CDROM with scanned pictures. The whole investment film, development, CDROM was about 6 EUR...

It was not meant for publishing, I was just curious and wanted a rough impression. The distance was about 6m I guess. Aperture I didn't write down, sorry.

I can scan the film myself if that is of any help for the specific picture.
12-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #168
Veteran Member

It's worth noting (again) that the DA*50-135 has a smaller image circle somewhere in the middle than in the tested extremes. (Smallest around 70mm IIRC.)
12-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
It's worth noting (again) that the DA*50-135 has a smaller image circle somewhere in the middle than in the tested extremes. (Smallest around 70mm IIRC.)
Ok, but what does that mean? Its not fully usable on FF on both ends anyway. If I understand you correctly that just means its even worse in the middle.

12-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Ok, but what does that mean? Its not fully usable on FF on both ends anyway. If I understand you correctly that just means its even worse in the middle.
Correct, but I just know someone is going to conclude it will work fine on APS-H from those shots, and I doubt it actually will.
12-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'd like to know what image area you scanned (some film cameras expose more than 24x36mm), at which aperture and focal distance you shot (shorter distances could be worse) and what gradation your film emulsion was (some hard gradation films can make a little vignetting look like shading).
Little Info added:
Aperture was F4 for both shots. Distance was 1,44m for 60mm and 2,1m for 250mm.

All shots were done in A-Mode on the MZ-5N and in the absence of a aperture ring the aperture always was open for all lenses.
12-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Little Info added:
Aperture was F4 for both shots. Distance was 1,44m for 60mm and 2,1m for 250mm.
Ok, this is kind of the worst case scenario. I did a series at 250mm at various apertures and at f/5.6, vignetting is much less and kind of disappears at f/8. However, a close focussing distance like 2.1 m increases the focal length (using the thin lens formula) to an effective 280mm which probably intensifies the corner vignetting.

Moreover, in my scans I cropped to 24x36mm before evaluating for vignetting. The original scans were only slightly wider but it made an effect in the corners. I'd say that if you crop to a 97% viewfinder area like a framed dia positive does, then the effect is much less.

12-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #173

What aperture was the DA70mm taken at?
03-05-2012, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #174
Marketplace Reseller

Hi there
I made some test photos of DA 55-300mm on Full Frame Pentax MZ-6.
My copy of this lens is definately not +/++ suitable for FULL FRAME.

Here are the results: vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA 55-300MM F4-5.8 vs FULL FRAME
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vjacesslav Quote
My copy of this lens is definately not +/++ suitable for FULL FRAME.
I agree, so I'll revise the rating as the earlier report doesn't seem to be correct.

You removed the lens hood, did you?
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #176

I honestly kinda like the vignetting effect it makes when putting a DA lens on a ff body........... *runs away*
03-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #177
Marketplace Reseller

Yes,

the lens hood was removed...

I know this is not proffesional shooting, has to only show basic DA lens performance of Full Frame.

I´ve already done 70mm limited on Full Frame, next test will be DA 35 macro Limited.

But already preparing to try DA lenses on Canon Full Frame body with help of Pentax K-Canon EOS adapter...

Vjacesslav
03-17-2012, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #178
Marketplace Reseller

Next try is DA 35mm Macro on Full Frame Film SLR Camera (Pentax Mz-6):

vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA 35MM F2.8 MACRO LIMITED vs FULL FRAME
03-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #179
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
some vignetting, but i seems acceptable
03-17-2012, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by vjacesslav Quote
Next try is DA 35mm Macro on Full Frame Film SLR Camera (Pentax Mz-6):
Please be advised that lenses with a classical focusing mechanism, like the 35mm f/2.8 macro, are bound to have very different corner properties (vignetting as well as resolution) at different focus/magnification settings. Generally, the closer you focus, the less lens surface is used, resulting in a loss of center resolution, but generally an increase in corner resolution as well as less vignetting. This is significantly more true with a macro lens since there's so much difference between it's focus limits.

So to be able to provide the complete story on a lens like this, samples must be taken at varying points of focus, as well as aperture settings,

Then again, for usage as a macro lens, the 35mm should be OK, for the above mentioned reasons.

Last edited by topace; 03-17-2012 at 01:09 PM.