Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Can I use M42 screwmount lenses on my Pentax K-mount (D)SLR?
Posted By: Adam, 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Note: this article has been replaced by a newer version. See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Yes, but you will need a Pentax screwmount adapter or a similar third party adapter. Please see this page for instructions on how to install the adapter: Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter

Once you have installed the adapter, follow these easy steps:

1. Mount the lens. Make sure you tighten it so that all markings on the barrel are centered.

2. Compose your photo and adjust the focus.

3. If you're using a Super Takumar, S-M-C Takumar, SMC Takumar, or Super Multi Coated Takumar, you will need to set the diaphragm clutch on the lens to manual.

Then, select the desired aperture.

Note that your lens must be stopping down manually in order to get metering to work.

4. Meter the light. If you're using the K100D/K110D or the *ist DS/DS2/DL/DL2, press the AE-L button. If you're using the *ist D or K10D, press the green button. Make sure that the "allow aperture ring setting other than A" is set to yes.

When using a manual film SLR, meter as you would with any lens. Metering varies for later film SLRs.

5. Take the photo.
Views: 41,381
10-12-2008, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #31
Inactive Account

hi all, i'm new here, and new to M42 screw mount lens.

Can i use auto-takumar 85mm f1.8 M42 on my DSLR? i have a M42 adapter. but i'm not sure what the "auto" means. My friend is selling me this lens. If can be used on my DSLR, then i'll buy it.

10-12-2008, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
You can leave the adapter on the lens if you so wish. Just remove the spring lock and off you go. Then get yourself a k-mount cap for that end.
I don't leave it on the lens becasue I have a couple lenses to use it on but I removed the spring anyway because it was kind of a pain to remove from camera.
Yea, this was my thought. I will be moving in this direction since I have aquired a cool collection of super taks. Infact I have 5 of them and was thinking about ordering 5 adaptors to leave them on the lens.
10-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well... another noob here with k200d.
I have helios 44-2 58mm and jupiter 11-A 135/4 so I got the chinese version ... the bad one (donut), then I got the other one... also chinese ... no good. Only to waste money
Now I finally bought 2 original pentax adapters. Waiting for them to arrive and test it.

My lesson is: ebay is good BUT next time go directly to original/genuine stuff.
10-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dancin' the M42

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
... I finally bought 2 original pentax adapters.
My theory, as well, until I actually danced the M42 on my K100D.

Later, I found the best solution for me is to use one adapter (Pentax brand) on the body and screw the M42 into it each time. Once that's complete, I am forced into my check list:

- Focus: Lever change from AF to M
- Focus: Reset Af button to shutter in C Menu (makes it easy to see focus signal as you manual focus)
- Mode: Dial Manual
- etc... etc.

Once done, when I unscrew the M42 and remove the adapter ring, I'm reminded to reverse the check list so I can return to the dazzling 21st century world of AF and beyond.

The M42 experience has a delightful learning curve that requires planning. There are many inspirational examples on this forum. They make doing the M42 look deceptively easy. Granted, you can learn a lot from the producers of these images, but you will never be able to fully grasp their world, or their eye for what works.

Instead, may I suggest that you work toward setting you own standards and developing your own eye. A good first step down this trail may be to expand your lens choices to include at least one really good Limited lens (DA 40 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, or such). Adding a Limited to your palette will help you establish a standard of excellence that can be built on as you learn to do the M42. Blending these experiences will get you to M42 success faster and make it a ton more fun.

Go for it and enjoy... my 2 cents...

10-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Instead, may I suggest that you work toward setting you own standards and developing your own eye. A good first step down this trail may be to expand your lens choices to include at least one really good Limited lens (DA 40 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, or such). Adding a Limited to your palette will help you establish a standard of excellence that can be built on as you learn to do the M42. Blending these experiences will get you to M42 success faster and make it a ton more fun.

Go for it and enjoy... my 2 cents...
2 precious cents Thanks

Against all "friendly" advices (all my friends have canon, nikon or sony) I got a k200D + Pentax SMC DA 18-55 mm f/3,5-5,6 AL II
then upgraded lens kit to Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2,8 XR DI II plus Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2.
At the moment I can't afford any more expenses so your advice for a limited is one of my golds but not now (
I have as a gift from family a Helios - 44-2 and Jupiter 11A, that's why I went for the m42 adapters.
Will try my luck and learn a lot... I hope

Maybe soon I have some fotos that I can make a gallery
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #36

My super takumar is stuck on my MX body

I thought my Super takumar 1:4/300 was the same mount as my MX body, but apparently I was wrong. I can't get it off. Does anyone have suggestions for removing it?
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Kathryn, how did you get it on in the first place? The Super Tak is an M42 mount lens, whereas your MX takes K-mount.

09-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Can i use my sf-1o lens to my pentax k20d?