Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Tutorial: Ricoh-Pin removal
Posted By: photogem, 02-19-2020, 05:56 AM

A short tutorial for how to remove the infamous Ricoh-Pin

The Ricoh-pin is a relic from analog DSLR days. It was for the Ricoh shutter priority or full programmed exposure modes.The well known problem is that the Ricoh-pin sits exactly at this place of the Pentax AF-drive (screwdrive mechanism) and can jam the lens to the body.

So if you want to use your Ricoh or Rikenon lens which has such a pin you better modify the lens of you want to use it on any Pentax DSLR (and analog Pentax SLR bodies with AF-motor).

1. Here you can see the Ricoh-Pin on a Rikenon Prime 50mm lens:

This pin is "pushed down" (small Phillips 000, a blunt needle or anything similar will do):
If the "spring" holding the pin allows you to do so, that's all you need to do and you don't need to open your lens!

But don't mix it up with the other pin marked here with a red arrow:
This is for A-contacts, you don't take that one out for sure!

This is a Tokina SD 28-70mm/f3.5-4.5 A-Lens!

2. Open the lens, best using a JIS 00 screwdriver (but a Phillips 00 will do as well):

The green arrow shows were the Ricoh-pin was located, I have removed it already:

3. The infamous Ricoh-Pin:

There are different pins with different diameters, sometimes those with a smaller diameter won't cause problems at all but I have seen the opposite as well, so at least "push it down" so it won't poke out anymore or ... as I do it usually ... remove it completly.

4. This photo shows the pin including the spring which fixes it:

This spring is from the Tokina SD 28-70 A-Zoom-Lens which I used before showing the other important A-Pin!
This spring looks different on different lenses and of different manufacturers!

5. Close-Up (Ricoh-pin removed):

You can see why "pushing down the pin" (i.e. bending the spring downwards) is usually enough.
The pin is still save on the spring, cannot get lose and/or inside your lens but it doesn't stick out anymore to bring the screwdrive-mechanism of your Pentaxbody into trouble!

6. The hole were the pin pushes through:

This hole has a small rubber-or plastic piece. If it is glued to the stainless-steel K-mount, you can leave it.

If it is lose, you must remove it otherwise it can drop into your lens and cause trouble!

7. Bring the K-mount back to its place:

The photo is without the 4x JIS srews screwed in yet!

Screw in the 4 (or 3 or 5 screws) but crosswise:
You start with the first screw, then opposite, then to the right and then to the left in this case and you don't
tighten the screws too strong but first very softly and then again cross-wise you tighten them more and more.
This is very important because otherwise the K-mount might sit with a slight tilt which makes an even sharp photo almost impossible, particular wide open.

Last edited by photogem; 02-20-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Views: 1,128
02-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this informative tutorial photogem
02-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That works . . . but Ive simply placed a tiny dab of thick quick-set epoxy on the pin+hole and then cleaned up with a razor blade afterward. Hold the pin down til sets up. Worked fine on the three lenses I modified. Experiment with a similar pin+hole setup first if you're concerned with viscosity.

Youi mght also try a heat glue-gun or gel-type Super Glue (with a dab of baking soda as a hardener -- search on YouTube if that's new to you).
02-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I only have one lens with the Ricoh pin and it's just a little nub, not the big pin that commonly causes trouble. I just make a point of switching the camera to manual focus mode before attaching the lens so the focusing pawl stays retracted. Doing that, I've never had a problem.