Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Pentax Power Zoom Explained
Posted By: Ole, 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Pentax DSLR's which support SDM autofocus also supports power zoom to some extent as explained in the link below.

Pentax Power Zoom
Views: 18,183
01-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Most modes don't actually work on Pentax digital cameras. Just the motorized zoom works with those.
03-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But that should work with a firmeware update.
But we donīt have that
07-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole:
Pentax DSLR's which support SDM autofocus also supports power zoom to some extent as explained in the link below.
This information needs clarification as it is not correct.

I checked various manuals to derive that the following bodies sporting SDM do or do not support powerzoom:
  • K100D Super: no
  • K110D: no
  • K10D: yes
  • K10D GP: yes
  • K20D: yes
  • K200D: no
  • K2000: no
  • K-m: no
  • K-7: yes
  • K-x: no

I just purchased a powerzoom only to find out it doesn't work on a K-m... (and yes, I found out later on that it is specified powerzoom doesn't work with K-m; Pentax dropped the feature!)

It is important to note that powerzoom is avaliable with movie recording (K-7). BTW, for dSLR video this may only be possible in Pentax mount ...

Last edited by falconeye; 10-12-2009 at 06:39 PM.
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Apologies for bumping a rather old thread, but it seems very relevant, and so makes rather more sense than creating a new one.

I'm curious to learn more about how power zoom operates, and its compatibility with Pentax's flagships. I presume from Falk's list that it's likely supported by the K-5 too, given that all previous K-series flagships have supported it.

The mosphotos page suggests you can use the zoom ring to power zoom on compatible bodies, but that it will still work as a manual zoom ring on other bodies -- am I correct in that belief? Is the switch between power and manual modes automatic, or do you make some manual adjustment to support manual zooming? And is there any way to zoom manually with a power zoom lens on a power zoom body, or are you then restricted solely to power zooming, without a way to fall back to manual zoom if you prefer?

Also, am I correct in thinking the mosphotos page means that you can power zoom and automatically retract on compatible DSLR bodies? Or which of the five options are supported on current DSLRs?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can share knowledge of this interesting tech. Seems like it has some interesting advantages, especially for video shooting, albeit I'd guess the zoom noise would make external audio recording a must.
12-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
The mosphotos page suggests you can use the zoom ring to power zoom on compatible bodies, but that it will still work as a manual zoom ring on other bodies -- am I correct in that belief? Is the switch between power and manual modes automatic, or do you make some manual adjustment to support manual zooming? And is there any way to zoom manually with a power zoom lens on a power zoom body, or are you then restricted solely to power zooming, without a way to fall back to manual zoom if you prefer?
I've answered this for myself after finding the PZ-1 manual on Pentax's website. Pages 27 and 28 have the info:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/PZ-1.pdf

To confirm for anybody else researching this, though, you switch modes by sliding the zoom ring forwards or backwards slightly. It's possible to use either power or manual zoom modes on bodies supporting power zoom, and you can fall back to manual zoom for bodies that only support that.

QuoteQuote:
Also, am I correct in thinking the mosphotos page means that you can power zoom and automatically retract on compatible DSLR bodies? Or which of the five options are supported on current DSLRs?
Haven't yet managed to answer this point myself, though...
12-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
What does the "P", "A" and "AS" switch on the power-zoom lens stand for? BTW some links in this thread are dead.

12-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
What does the "P", "A" and "AS" switch on the power-zoom lens stand for? BTW some links in this thread are dead.
In the film days some bodies supported a number of advanced PZ functions such as image tracking, zooming during exposure etc The switch in the lens is to operate these. However, current bodies only support the basic motorized zooming, but none of the advanced functions .