Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

The 50mm f/1.4 lens: Photography's Magic Bullet
Posted By: Damn Brit, 02-06-2009, 02:38 AM

This is an interesting article in PopPhoto about these lenses and a comparison between brands. Good to see film era FA50 still holding it's own against the more expensive and modern competition.
The 50mm f/1.4 lens: Photography's Magic Bullet - - PopPhotoFebruary 2009
Views: 37,872
01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super sharp images! I would have thought a lens hood as large as that would cause vignetting.

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I've had the 50mm f/1.4 FA for some time now. I've been writing for firearms publications for years, and when I want to photograph something to publish, it's the lens I turn to most. I usually employ a screw-on lens hood and stop it down to f/8. I mount my K5 on a tripod and proceed to shoot manually. This lens is far and away the sharpest I own. Here's one example of the results I typically get - the subject is a Luger pistol made in 1936. Every detail is sharp as a tack; this reduced-size image doesn't do it justice. I often catch details and markings on things that I would not see with the naked eye, or even with my ever-present reading glasses.

Here's the hood I employ on the lens - I think it really does help to eliminate flare and softness.

The lens' light-gathering ability is phenomenal, coupled with the high-ISO capability of the K5. This shot was done at ISO 4000 indoors with natural light through a nearby window; f/2.8 at 1/200 sec. Perfect for impromptu flashless pictures.

If you don't have one of these in your kit, you're overlooking something really special, useful and versatile. You'll not get the capabilities of this nice prime lens in any zoom made.

John

01-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote

you will see what i mean by fun.

That got me laughing pretty good, I'll be shooting like crazy.

Most of these reviews are spot on, this lens is fun and enables you to shoot in low light conditions. I've found it difficult to maintain crisp focus at the lowest stop, like many previous reviews have been describing the 1.7 as being sharper.

I have found that during normal use the lowest stop isn't the desired but between 4.0 and 11.0. Super low light conditions and you don't have a tripod, you got 1.4, crank the iso and you got it.

The sardines were taken at 1.4. The penguin was taken at 4.0 but this is what we're talking about. The DOF is shallow (less than a flower's width) when using these low stops it's fun to see what happens.

I never regret using this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But I can't fix a shot that I didn't get. IMHO 50/1.4 is indispensable.
So true brother, and that's quite an arsenal of glass.
Attached Images