Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Video Tutorial on Bar/Nightclub photography
Posted By: codiac2600, 12-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey guys!

Thought I'd let you in on my secrets of getting shots like this:

and this:

If you do check out my blog at Photography 2.0 - Reaching the Masses with Technology or search for Pentax on YouTube and it should pop up! Thanks everyone and enjoy!
Views: 18,103
12-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you suck

12-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
you suck

And sexy

Thanks Buddha!
12-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't care about how you got the pictures, I just need the phone number of the young lady that almost has the white top on.

12-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I don't care about how you got the pictures, I just need the phone number of the young lady that almost has the white top on.
LOL, well I did go to High School with her so I could work things out for ya!

I think most women now are almost wearing tops and it makes it sooooo difficult to want to take pictures of them. I can't even find the shutter button half the time and my mouth gets so dry from hanging open.
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #6

Awesome video, I have actually been thinking about this alot lately not quite sure how i would dive into this field dont really have any experience shooting clubs or bars. Any recomendations on that?
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Doc
Inactive Account

Chris, great video. I work with a couple of girls who want to move into the nightclub/bar photography gig. We've done a lot of homework (did I mention, great video?), have the gear and expertise, but are still a little fuzzy about the business aspects, ie, how do you make a profit? Who buys and what do they buy? Any insights on that?

Doc
Plane-Girls.com, planes, airplanes, sexy girls, pin-ups, sexy photos
01-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very useful & interesting tutorial, especially for someone that is flash illiterate. Handy info for shooting any type of party, gathering, etc. Thanks.

01-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the great tutorial, I learned alot.
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Great tutorials, but I too am wondering about the same thing that Doc is wondering about. How do you sell yourselves in that market? Around here will be denied access to any club/bar with a dSLR/SLR/Whatever"bigandprocamera", unless you're the official photographer. Most clubs either have a official photog allready, or don't want one at all.
01-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doc Quote
Chris, great video. I work with a couple of girls who want to move into the nightclub/bar photography gig. We've done a lot of homework (did I mention, great video?), have the gear and expertise, but are still a little fuzzy about the business aspects, ie, how do you make a profit? Who buys and what do they buy? Any insights on that?

Doc
Plane-Girls.com, planes, airplanes, sexy girls, pin-ups, sexy photos
Well when I charge I charge for that night alone and find out how many hours, what shots they want, and how soon they want the results. Everything is a cost and shoot haggle and if they back down tell them you can cut them a deal the first time and if they want you back you get paid what you deserve. I was doing it at $50-100 a night and spent maybe two hours at the place and you can either haggle for free drinks or not, but it looks better when you don't drink. If they want all the images taken you charge for the disk and only give them Jpegs at 72dpi and make sure you get full rights to the images so you can use them as well. Check around town to see who is running a big event, like hot body contests, or wing eating contests, or something along that line and tell them what you can do and why you should do it for them.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Very useful & interesting tutorial, especially for someone that is flash illiterate. Handy info for shooting any type of party, gathering, etc. Thanks.
Exactly, but make sure you match the style of lighting with the event... def not the lighting for say a funeral, or anything that brings the fun factor in would kill the proper mood of the occasion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Thanks for the great tutorial, I learned alot.
QuoteOriginally posted by libbe Quote
Great tutorials, but I too am wondering about the same thing that Doc is wondering about. How do you sell yourselves in that market? Around here will be denied access to any club/bar with a dSLR/SLR/Whatever"bigandprocamera", unless you're the official photographer. Most clubs either have a official photog allready, or don't want one at all.
Always present yourself ahead of time without your gear and carry a small samplings of 8X10's of a various images that depict the style and character of your images. I was always the official photog for these events and even if they sent someone else to do it, they can't light my way nor shoot like I do so I was always asked back again and again and my prices went up and up. It's easier in this town cause we have too many bars all in competition and you tell them that you'll get them the shots that show how fun it is at your bar on a friday night and it'll bring the people back. The rest is up to you guys to create a style and vibe and have a personality. The bars I've shot are fun an exciting and you have to do the same and interact with the crowd as much as doing what you're paid to do. I can show you the steps but you'll have to create your own finished puzzle.
01-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

hmmmm, i found your videos really useful... even tho i am never likely to go into a nightclub or bar, ( i get anxiety in crowded places and i dont drink alcohol).. it was still a very well executed video! thanks alot mate.. and the pics came up really well!
01-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
Doc
Inactive Account

Cool. We can do this. Thanks Chris.

Rock on.
Attached Images

01-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Doc, I mean no disrespect, but that looks like the snap shot of any other person with a P&S at a club. It is not very flattering for the girl or the guy either. Get the flash off the camera. This looks like it is on it. Try different angle. Keep at it and I am sure you will advance this is just my $.02 not trying to be mean just constructive criticisms to help you learn. Chris, great video's. I missed them when you first posted this.