Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Learning basic photographic techniques
Posted By: Ash, 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM

This is for all those newbies, amateurs, enthusiasts, etc in the forum interested in sharpening their photographic skills regardless of the camera they use.

I stumbled across this fantastic resource online recently and thought to share it with all of you. Written by the US Navy for training their own photographers, it may seem a little archaic and focused on Navy photography, but the principles are all there and explained very clearly and simply.

To me this is a full-on photography course online minus the guided exercises. It's full of nuggets about learning the basics of what makes good photos, but of course assumes the reader know how to use all the settings on their camera.

Here's the link if anyone's interested:
Basic Photography Techniques - Photographic Composition, Center of interest, Subject placement, Simplicity, Viewpoint and camera angle, Balance.

Enjoy...

Last edited by Ash; 03-20-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Views: 23,122
03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #2

Thanks Ash! I am all about gathering learning material. I find that even if I don't need it now, I bookmark it and usually find the need for the information further down the road.

Also, I will share a really cool source that I found. BetterPhoto.com is an online community and a place to take online courses. I'm in no way selling the site, however I should disclose that I am enrolled in a year-long program with them.

BEFORE I enrolled however, I tried a FREE course and learned so much! It's no obligation, it's literally an 8-week course that is available, called Digital SLR Photography. Here's the link ... again, I'm only sharing this because it helped me tremendously.

Digital SLR Photography: A FREE Course Preview - See How Our Online Photography Classes Work: Overview

Also, there are lots of free articles on the BetterPhoto site, in the Resources tab.

Happy Learning!
03-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ash .... nice one ... will have a look at this when i get a chance.
As I am leaving work now for the weekend ... and will not be seeing a PC for a few days thank goodness.
03-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bookmarked.
Will look more into it, once I get subjects to photograph!

03-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And then, when that stuff's sunk in, and you're into portraits, this is another stellar read:
Benji's Studio Lighting and Posing Tutorial

All about studio setups and tips on model posing...
Useful even for the strobist enthusiasts...
03-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And another top read for making flash not look like flash...

planet neil - tangents flash photography techniques
03-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is for all those newbies, amateurs, enthusiasts, etc in the forum interested in sharpening their photographic skills regardless of the camera they use.

I stumbled across this fantastic resource online recently and thought to share it with all of you. Written by the US Navy for training their own photographers, it may seem a little archaic and focused on Navy photography, but the principles are all there and explained very clearly and simply.

To me this is a full-on photography course online minus the guided exercises. It's full of nuggets about learning the basics of what makes good photos, but of course assumes the reader know how to use all the settings on their camera.

Here's the link if anyone's interested:
Basic Photography Techniques - Photographic Composition, Center of interest, Subject placement, Simplicity, Viewpoint and camera angle, Balance.

Enjoy...
I have a couple such books that make interesting reading if anyone wants them have to warn they are 9 and 18 MB pdf so don't know if you can receive them to your inbox
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The obvious

Well here's the obvious guide to happiness in photography,
What the Duck, Rule of Nerds by Aaron Johnson (Book)
(flip through the pages with the yellow arrows on the side)
Support this guy, buy the book and give it to somebody!
Georg

01-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For a little more advanced lighting techniques and the creative use of flash, here is an excellent resource offered online by Ciaran Whyte on her website: The Wonder of Light (warning: nudity included)
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #10

thanks for info!
11-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #11

learning digital photography resources...

1) there is a great Podcast - free..
PhotoTips - Photography Tips by BC Photo - Download free podcast episodes by BC Photo on iTunes.
also same tips can be found on youtube and facebook group - search for "phototips"
2) Adorama TV has some great tutorials....
Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

PS: Note that I have no affiliation with any of the above listed entities, being new to DSLRs the above resources have helped me a lot to understand basic concepts and also some great tips to take great pictures.