Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
History of Pentax: The Beatles, Tragedy, WW2 (Picture This! Podcast)
Posted By: interested_observer, 07-28-2018, 09:24 AM

History of Pentax: The Beatles, Tragedy, WW2 (Picture This! Podcast) by Tony & Chelsea Northrup

Apparently they have been doing camera company histories and they have gotten around to Pentax..... an interesting 40 minutes.

.... and I really didn't know where to post this to, so if it has to be moved to a better area....

Views: 1,881
07-28-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, even with some notable errors and omissions. Their first digital camera with medium format mount was a 645D (not 645N). Contrary to what was indicated, several of the new FF lens offerings that came out around the time of the K-1 were in house designs (the 28-105, 70-200 and the 150-450). They forgot to mention the Q mount as a Pentax mirrorless offering as well (though I'm not sure Pentax is or will continue to manufacture that mount).

To me, Tony is both likable and annoying at the same time. There is an arrogance about him that doesn't hold up well when he makes unfounded errant generalizations and notable mistakes.

Daryl
07-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I truly have never understood why Tony Northrop and his wife have a following at all - especially among Pentax users.
07-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Interesting, even with some notable errors and omissions. Their first digital camera with medium format mount was a 645D (not 645N). Contrary to what was indicated, several of the new FF lens offerings that came out around the time of the K-1 were in house designs (the 28-105, 70-200 and the 150-450). They forgot to mention the Q mount as a Pentax mirrorless offering as well (though I'm not sure Pentax is or will continue to manufacture that mount).

To me, Tony is both likable and annoying at the same time. There is an arrogance about him that doesn't hold up well when he makes unfounded errant generalizations and notable mistakes.

Daryl
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I truly have never understood why Tony Northrop and his wife have a following at all - especially among Pentax users.
I do have to admit that I posted this while only part way through yesterday. While listening, I took the URL and did a search on the site to make sure it wasn't previously posted and looked at the new posts - and concluded that it had not been posted (yet). Then I posted the link, and kept listening.

Yea, at the end they missed a lot. Nothing about the SMC coatings, the new lenses that Daryl touched on, the somewhat partnership with Zeiss, the Tokina lens partnership, and it just goes on. Then, I saw that someone else posted and I thought that this one that was being held up for moderation would just not be approved. Seeing this was somewhat of a surprise....

Actually, I was watching a youtube video on a completely different topic - trying to keep my CISSP accreditation active with CPEs and for some reason, a link to this popped up. I too usually don't watch the Northrops - but, let's see - photography vs IA, what should I choose to watch?

07-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
LSR

I get the feeling the host of the video is either a former dentist or Dr Proctor's tonic salesman......
07-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is Chelsea as clueless as she appears? She keeps acting surprised by "revelations".
07-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He kept expressing a fondness for Pentax - based on the past, but still present.

07-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

BTW - entry into that "free camera or money" drawing depends on subscribing to one of their "services", such as Instagram.
07-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They've skipped the FA lens era, why?