Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm with you, Ben. 15mm just isn't really wide enough, and the DA12-24 is a really nice lens.

But this 15mm is very small - I often found myself throwing my M 20 f/4 on the camera when I didn't want to deal with the 12-24's size.

Something to be said for a lot of IQ packed into a tiny package, especially for travel.

04-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a ******* tripod!

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I'd like to see a real test of this lens, with proper photos taken using a tripod, before I judge it.
No kidding. I'm sick of people ******** about their lenses when all they show is crappy hand-held shots - SR doesn't solve ALL your problems!

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/tokina_12-24_samples/originals/dsc_1043_acr.jpg
http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/tokina_12-24_samples/originals/dsc_1019_acr.jpg

2 samples from ACR from Nikon D300 + Tokina 12-24 at 12 mm.
as for me - the result is better with my samples of DA15.
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I honestly think that the Pentax 12-24 f4.0 lens is a much better bet. More versatile, same aperture and the results from the 12-24 are stunning.

Ben
The bottle shots are stunning, and show the Limited's incredible bokeh.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Here ist is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55477-da-15mm-...tml#post549107

A stunning lens! My new setup for hiking is now DA15 + DA*55.
Great combo, I'm jealous! My current hiking duo is DA21 + DA35, but I am thinking of swapping in the DA15 for the DA21 (as much as I love that lens). Unfortunately, building a new computer may be consuming my funds for the immediate future ;(
04-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for this lens I would say about f/8 worst case and f/5.6 would be the best case scenario. If f/8 turns out to be the sweet spot on this lens...then that would be such a shame, f/8 is past the diffraction limit on the K20D.

04-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Jim King also mentioned his sample wasn't that great wide open... TKH must have gotten really lucky! ... that or there's significant sample variation
04-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The bad news...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I honestly think that the Pentax 12-24 f4.0 lens is a much better bet. More versatile, same aperture and the results from the 12-24 are stunning.

Ben
No hyperfocal scale on the zooms, which totally sucks. I've been saying for YEARS that they should implement software-based hyperfocal info in the viewfinder, easy to do in the digital realm and with MTF data in the lens chips.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
No hyperfocal scale on the zooms, which totally sucks. I've been saying for YEARS that they should implement software-based hyperfocal info in the viewfinder, easy to do in the digital realm and with MTF data in the lens chips.

Cheers,
Cameron
Actually, the MTF data is in the lens chips of the DA series and some other earlier series as well. If you want to know what Mr. Pentax thinks the best apertures are, switch your camera into program mode and select the MTF program line. and try a bunch of lighting situations and ISO levels. My 50-135, for example, tends to hang around f/4 in MTF program.

04-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, the MTF data is in the lens chips of the DA series and some other earlier series as well. If you want to know what Mr. Pentax thinks the best apertures are, switch your camera into program mode and select the MTF program line. and try a bunch of lighting situations and ISO levels. My 50-135, for example, tends to hang around f/4 in MTF program.

funny, my 31mm f/1.8 limited sticks to f/1.8 :-P

My sigma 100-300mm f/4 seems to favour f/5.6 in MTF mode...I wonder if sigma figured out how to chip lenses with MTF data....I wouldn't be surprised if they did, my tests have indicated that that f/5.6 is indeed the best on this lens.
04-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
...significant sample variation
Not again
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

MTF Chips...

in all the lenses from FA on. My point is it would be fairly easy to implement this feature electronically in the viewfinder for those of us who use it. A few lines of code and some space in the viewfinder for the info.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Jim King also mentioned his sample wasn't that great wide open... TKH must have gotten really lucky! ... that or there's significant sample variation
Or photographer variation. Shooting different scenes different ways and holding the results to different standards. I think people read far much into these initial comments and a few isolated samples.
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Or photographer variation. Shooting different scenes different ways and holding the results to different standards. I think people read far much into these initial comments and a few isolated samples.
Absolutely! Best keep our powder dry for now and see how the DA 15 shapes up among a larger group of owners, particularly after early production samples are replaced by those manufactured at "equilibrium".

Jer
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That's true. Heck, I know I do.

So far the DA15 looks good to my eyes. Too expensive for me to consider, though. Everything I do seems to either cost money or be for free. The curse of the artist!

I need a patron.
04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, what I said was that the DA15 was not as sharp wide open as the DA14, but that the DA15 was *much* smaller and lighter, thus a better lens for use on my K-m. I also said that I think both lenses have their uses and I expect to keep and use both.

Unless you are pixel peeping at 100% the DA15 is perfectly satisfactory IMO. Here are comparison shots at f4 (taken a day apart), using a tripod, at about 35 meters distance on my K-m, no PP:

DA14@f4, 100% crop, center:

DA15@f4, 100% crop, center:

Regards, Jim

Last edited by jamesk8752; 04-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.
04-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thats quite a difference in sharpness. It actually seems out of focus by comparison