Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I really hope that what you heard is wrong.

I don't want a K20D in a new body, but now with video.

I can't be the only one here that is looking at this camera to decide if Pentax is the system I want to spend my cash on.

Common Pentax...help keep me as a fanboy.
I don't think the 'K7' is supposed to replace K20D nor is it supposed to be a Pro body. It is as they said a 'different concept'. A camera specialy made to go with Limited lens (ie compact, high quality, well constructed lenses).

I expect it to be top notch as far as details like usability, design, compactness and built. It will be more advances than K20D for sure but I'm sure a 'K30D/K3D' will come in later.

04-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #62
Pentaxian

A k20 in new clothes, I’ll probably keep my money. (Unless there actually are some great improvements in the high iso area). The design alone isn't cool or "limited" enough (seems to be quite ordinary actually) to varant an upgrade.
04-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
A k20 in new clothes, I’ll probably keep my money. (Unless there actually are some great improvements in the high iso area). The design alone isn't cool or "limited" enough (seems to be quite ordinary actually) to varant an upgrade.
Well try to find those specs (both technical/photographic) is a body such a size from any competitor.

Maybe Oly... but with crappy sensor.
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I really hope that what you heard is wrong.

I don't want a K20D in a new body, but now with video.

I can't be the only one here that is looking at this camera to decide if Pentax is the system I want to spend my cash on.

Common Pentax...help keep me as a fanboy.
What is most probable:

A revolutionary camera with square FF sensor (crop mode to x1.3) with integrated LV in the VF, new high speed/high precision AF, 1080p video etc...etc...

or:

A camera with similar specifications to the D90 but "restyled" and with weather sealing and SR?

04-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well try to find those specs (both technical/photographic) is a body such a size from any competitor.

Maybe Oly... but with crappy sensor.
Well, D90 looks very similar...
04-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
What is most probable:

A revolutionary camera with square FF sensor (crop mode to x1.3) with integrated LV in the VF, new high speed/high precision AF, 1080p video etc...etc...

or:

A camera with similar specifications to the D90 but "restyled" and with weather sealing and SR?
This is starting to go the way the rumours went with the K20D. Lots of build up and hype and then ultimately disappointment due to initial expectations being too high.

I suspect that we will end up with essentially a K20D's guts in a new, prettier shell.

BUT I'd like Pentax to take things one level up to match standard specs like 5fps, 1/8000 shutter etc not just because these are things I genuinely need but because they help sell the camera as they are the top-line specs, and I want Pentax to do well.
04-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
This is starting to go the way the rumours went with the K20D. Lots of build up and hype and then ultimately disappointment due to initial expectations being too high.

I suspect that we will end up with essentially a K20D's guts in a new, prettier shell.

BUT I'd like Pentax to take things one level up to match standard specs like 5fps, 1/8000 shutter etc not just because these are things I genuinely need but because they help sell the camera as they are the top-line specs, and I want Pentax to do well.
I agree with you. It really doens't have to be earth-shaking changes, but updated AF and higher FPS count plus video will at least keep people in the fold and even get others to notice. Like you, I have no need for those three, but it would be great to have so that others who do need them consider keeping or going towards Pentax.

I'm fine with Pentax releasing multi-colored versions of existing cameras, but I do hope they don't extend the same idea towards new models, taking an existing model's guts and placing them in a reworked body. I would hope they have the foresight to improve on some of the specs that people frown on when looking at Pentax, if not a total overhaul.

04-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

For me this camera would be great. I'd absolutely love a 'limited' type body to go with my limited lenses. Small and precise! I get so used to my limiteds that when i use a DA zoom (10-17 fisheye is the only one i have) the whole thing seems too big and heavy. I see other shooters around with their huge zooms and bulky bodies and am reminded of 50 year old men in red sports cars.... overcompensating and having no idea!

A small high quality camera like this would also suit the old M, A and Tak lenses too. I see it as a real photographers camera. No BLING just performance.

FYI, I sometimes shoot with a pro that uses Canon and he is always amazed and impressed with the color rendition of my lowly k100d and finds the AF performance acceptable... and this is for sports shots.

Just another thought. What if the new concept is no screen... only an LCD in the viewfinder? It would be revolutionary but possibly a pain in the ass?!?!

mike
04-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Just another thought. What if the new concept is no screen... only an LCD in the viewfinder? It would be revolutionary but possibly a pain in the ass?!?!
I think, that would be the death spell for such a camera. At least I wouldn't buy a EVF currently, as the quality is too low.

Ben
04-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
because I do not think that there were as many complaints about Pentax cameras not having 1/8000 and 1/250 as some other issues... and to have that done Pentax needs a little bit more expensive electromechanical part(s)... and once there is something w/ "mechanical" in the name vs just "electronic" it costs $ nowadays, even those parameters are nowhere exotic... $ here $ there adds to the cost and Pentax I think will have only so many new things done in a new camera at once - new sensor w/ faster readout, allowing some kind of HD video and more fps/more raws|jpegs taken in a burst (plus more RAM to keep that), may be better high ISO performance - that will already be good enough - add a new body, may be something about viewfinder, better LCD screen and that's it - most of consumers and popular review sites will notice and report that and not 1/4000 + 1/180 plus old 16 zones metering...
OK but... in 2007 the D300, A700, E-3 and 40D were released. If in 2009 Pentax still has nothing to show up, I think a lot of people will be disapointed. I know it costs money to implement an 1/8000-1/250 shutter but it's a given for a more pro-body. 5fps is just average for this level. The current matrix metering system is lagging the competition, etc. The name 'K7' with only one figure would imply a more upmarket camera than the K20D.

With all those leaks anyway I'd guess that we will have a more official announcement this friday the 24th.
04-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #71
ogl
Banned

04-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #72
Veteran Member

^seems a page out of Canon's playbook (reminds me of the 5D MkII teaser)
04-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
OK but... in 2007 the D300, A700, E-3 and 40D were released. If in 2009 Pentax still has nothing to show up, I think a lot of people will be disapointed. I know it costs money to implement an 1/8000-1/250 shutter but it's a given for a more pro-body. 5fps is just average for this level. The current matrix metering system is lagging the competition, etc. The name 'K7' with only one figure would imply a more upmarket camera than the K20D.

With all those leaks anyway I'd guess that we will have a more official announcement this friday the 24th.
Apparently, we'll have to wait until end of may for the announcement which means two months from the release date... still plenty of time to let the imagination run free!!
04-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Top LCD if the poster is correct about the form factor.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
04-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Apparently, we'll have to wait until end of may for the announcement which means two months from the release date... still plenty of time to let the imagination run free!!
It's a bit early for these leaks don't you think?

Anyway... Where is WendyB to entertain us a little during these next weeks?