Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #1

WG2 Macro Stand Question

Hi everyone, Im new here, new to Pentax cameras and newish to photography too., A real quick question here, and hopefully a simple one too.

I have just purchased the Pentax Optio WG-II GPS after looking for a while and reading many reviews, I wanted a rugged camera I could just plop in my bag and not worry about breaking. Soon Ill be heading off to the Galapagos Islands to do conservation work and so hope to take many great pictures for my friends and family back home.

Anyway, the question,
the camera comes with a little 'Macro stand' that just clips on infront of the lens to be used with the camera 1cm Macro mode, now the manual indicates that you should put it on when using macro mode, and take it off when you arent, thing is, Im certain that I will loose it if I take it off, and so I wanted to ask, is there any real downside to leaving it on.
As a non photographer, the only reason for taking it off I could think of was maybe it would restrict the flash, but after a few test shots I think even with it on, the flash is still able to reach all objects within the camera view.

Hope someone could help, ive already taken many picture with it on and cant see anything that would suggest it would be better off.

Thank you for reading.

06-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might get a little vignetting with it on, but that's about it. Plus, it'll make your camera harder to stow.

I don't think it'll come loose, though. Chances are you won't be using it very much.
07-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #3

I was wondering about the same question. But when I attached mine, I only took it off once and put it back again and have never take it off again. I think it's not that serious.
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

I have decided to leave mine on. Took it on vacation to Hawaii - snorkeling, hiking, family time. Didn't seem to make a difference. I don't want to lose it either. Plus, when out and about it is so much easier to already have it on when something needing macro catches your eye!

09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

The macro adapter clips on and is threaded on the inside... I think the way the shake reduction improvement works is you have to thread the adapter to a microscope mount... at least that is what is mentioned in the manual.
I don't think that just having the macro adapter clipped on and not threaded onto something else makes any difference at all regarding camera operation or stability.
If someone knows otherwise, then please post a message.
Thanks!

I just measured it... 46mm threaded fitting... and purchased a 46mm CPL (circular polarizing lens). This, of course, has nothing to do with macro photography, but the macro stand lets you attach conventional filters to your camera as well as lets you attach your camera to a microscopes eyepiece... using this clip-on 46mm fitting. The CPL works great!... bluer skys and you can remove surface reflection on water.

Last edited by stamas; 09-17-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added new information