Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photography 101 Course Suggestions

Any and all suggestions for an on-line 101 course, preferably Pentax and preferably video based - greatly appreciated.

Free, or reasonably priced. Needs to start right at the beginning with terms, explanations, and inter-relations (F-stop, ISO, EV, focal length, shutter speed etc..) and go from there.

For son who 'missed out' on film cameras, only knows cell-phone pictures. He just got a K-01 and a nice set of Tak M42s for Christmas.

Thanks for your help!

12-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Any and all suggestions for an on-line 101 course, preferably Pentax and preferably video based - greatly appreciated.

Free, or reasonably priced. Needs to start right at the beginning with terms, explanations, and inter-relations (F-stop, ISO, EV, focal length, shutter speed etc..) and go from there.

For son who 'missed out' on film cameras, only knows cell-phone pictures. He just got a K-01 and a nice set of Tak M42s for Christmas.

Thanks for your help!
There is a site that will allow you to watch photography classes live as they happen for free. It is called CreativeLive (creativelive.com). They do offer general photography classes that are not associated with specific types of photography (such as wedding photography or portrait photography) and they also offer specific photography-related classes (such as business marketing, wedding photography, etc.) The classes that they offer are not camera-specific usually so I do not believe there will be any Pentax-associated videos on there. One of the best video classes that I have watched on CreativeLive is called Fundamentals Of Digital Photography by John Greengo. It is a five-day course and it is very informative for someone who does not know anything about photography. You will not be able to watch this class for free on the CreativeLive website for free since this class already took place some time ago. However, you might be able to view this class in segments on Youtube.
12-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Someone on Reddit out together a great intro course that I found very helpful.

Photo Class | Mountain Adventure Photography
12-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
101 Photography Course...

Thank you both for the great suggestions. Both just what I was looking for.

FYI, the creativelive.com Greengo course is being repeated live starting Monday Jan 20th, and can be watched then for free: creativeLIVE: Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2014 with John Greengo

You can also purchase for $99 (supposedly a 'holiday discount' from $149) the 2013 course to watch anytime, and/or watch 'teaser' segments for free... creativeLIVE: Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2013 with John Greengo

The 'Seven Steps' 47 min segment was also streamed free last night. I thought it quite good. Lots of visuals.

This segment is also on youtube for anytime streaming:

Part 1

Part 2

Another 36 min Greengo segment thats worth it: 'Photographic Myths'

I am considering purchasing the entire course for $99 for Son. Looks like it might be worth it.

Last edited by cahudson42; 12-30-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add youtube segments
12-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Thank you both for the great suggestions. Both just what I was looking for.

FYI, the creativelive.com Greengo course is being repeated live starting Monday Jan 20th, and can be watched then for free: creativeLIVE: Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2014 with John Greengo

You can also purchase for $99 (supposedly a 'holiday discount' from $149) the 2013 course to watch anytime, and/or watch 'teaser' segments for free... creativeLIVE: Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2013 with John Greengo

The 'Seven Steps' 47 min segment was also streamed free last night. I thought it quite good. Lots of visuals.

I am considering purchasing for $99 for Son. Looks like it might be worth it.
See? Shows you what I know. Haha. I was not aware that there was another one coming up. I don't think that they would be repeating the previous one so it must be a slightly updated version. Either way, it should be very informative. Like I said, if you want to watch the 2013 (or whenever it came out) version, you might be able to find the whole thing on Youtube in segments. There is probably quite a few CreativeLive classes on Youtube I would guess.
12-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Great Courses (The Great Courses® - Audio & Video Lectures from The World?s Best Professors) has a couple of photography courses... "Fundamentals of Photography" is one, taught by Joel Sartore (National Geographic contributor). It's not brand specific, covers a lot of basic information and more advanced stuff. This course is often "on sale" for about $70, the beauty of it is that you get the set of DVDs to keep, each lesson is 30 minutes and you can view them as often as you want to. It's mostly about "seeing", not button-pushing, but he does cover the basics about aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, etc. (24 lessons in this course)
12-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Numtini Quote
Someone on Reddit out together a great intro course that I found very helpful.

Photo Class | Mountain Adventure Photography
This was a great resource! Really enjoyed reading through it. Sure most of the info is covered more extensively in many books and classes but for a free online resource this is great for novice and intermediate photographers. Thanks for sharing!

12-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

I've looked into these two: not the traditional format but they keep things interesting and and teach by visual comparisons.

Beginner's Guide

Take Better Photographs Quickly - Better Photography Tips by Karl Taylor Photography Courses.

I have for not purchased any of their videos but have watch numerous free tops and tricks from them both.